Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

L1 Modle 1S w/B2 Bad Distortion

A distorted, low volume “Hello” from Denver Colorado,

I was incorrect in believing the Tone Match mixer would correct the distortion problem.  Using the analog input was not the culprit.  The distortion actually seems worse now.  Is there fix for this mess?  I purchased the setup from guitar center in South Denver and planed on using it for musical instruments, microphones, drum machines, Pandora, etc.... but I don’t think it’s good for anything in its current state. The concept, if corrected would be a very, very good one.  The distortion problem isn’t uncommon from what I gather.  

Is there a recall, if not why?  Do I take the equipment back to guitar center?  Will replacement fix the issue?  

Why won’t it......just work?!!??!

Ben Disappointed. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

Re: L1 Modle 1S w/B2 Bad Distortion

I would like to add that the distortion is coming from the tweeters in the pole tower, not the sub (B2 unit) from what I can tell.  The bass is good.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Ben Disappointed,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.  Welcome.

Ben Disappointed posted:

A distorted, low volume “Hello” from Denver Colorado,

Hi.  Hey, I'm sorry you're disappointed. Let's see if we can understand and solve the problem.

I was incorrect in believing the Tone Match mixer would correct the distortion problem.  

It feels like we've dropped into the middle of a conversation.

Please tell us more about the distortion problem?

• Which ToneMatch mixer do you have?
  • How are you connecting it to the L1 Model 1S
    • What input sources do you have (microphones, instruments, backing tracks)?
    • How are you connecting them?
      • If you have a stereo source (e.g., Pandora), you may have tried to connect a stereo source to one of the mono inputs (on the power stand) or the ToneMatch mixer. That won't work.  If that's what you're using as your sound source, please tell me about the device you're using to play Pandora, and EXACTLY how you tried to connect it to the Bose system.
        And check out this video.

The video above is for a T1.
        If you have a T4S you can connect to channels 3 and 4. On a T8S, you can connect to channels 7 and 8.
    • Are you using the ToneMatch cable that came with the ToneMatch mixer?
    • Are you adding a second connection using a cable from the ToneMatch mixer to the L1 Analog Input?
      Don't do that.
  • Another likely source of distortion is having the input trims set too high. If you see red on the input trim lights, the trim controls are set too high.

The principles are the same for all the ToneMatch mixers.

Using the analog input was not the culprit.  The distortion actually seems worse now.  Is there fix for this mess?  I purchased the setup from guitar center in South Denver and planed on using it for musical instruments, microphones, drum machines, Pandora, etc.... but I don’t think it’s good for anything in its current state. The concept, if corrected would be a very, very good one.  The distortion problem isn’t uncommon from what I gather.  

Is there a recall, if not why?  Do I take the equipment back to guitar center?  Will replacement fix the issue?  

If you just got the system, you can return it to Guitar Center if you are within their return window. Or you can call them and see if their technical support people can help.

If you prefer, you can all Bose Support.

Bose® Product & Technical Support at (877) 335-2673
(U.S. and Canada only)
Monday-Friday: 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM ET
Other regions

Why won’t it......just work?!!??!

If you've got things set up as shown in the owners manual and the video above, it should just work.

Ben Disappointed. 

I'm happy to work with you here, or you can call Guitar Center or Bose Support.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

Hi,

Thank you for responding.  To answer your questions, my iPad has usb C port. So, usb from iPad to USB tone match.  Tone match to L1 via the proper cable provided with the T4S.  There was distortion before I added the TS4.  I was using IPhone with adaptor to patch cable to analog input. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 1, 2019

So, I may be running stereo out of iPhone and the analog is mono.  So, there may be an answer after all. Let me see if I can get this sorted

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Ben Disappointed,

Please check out this article.

T4S with Backing Tracks

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

In using the iPad are you using a music playing App or iTunes?

If iTunes go to (iPad Settings - not iTunes settings) settings>Music and look at the EQ selected there. It may be that an EQ for the wrong playback type is selected - there are some in there for small speakers etc and playing with these settings might have a beneficial effect.

if there is such a thing, try to find cables that gender change to the input jacks of 5/6 as you have better control of input volume (in my opinion as I’ve done both).

If you’re using another app, check in settings to make sure that’s not set with some sort of DJ smile high end boost.

One other option is to go into settings on the Tonematch and select output EQ and reduce the high end there to see if taking some off reduces or eliminates the issue.

Is it with all tracks or just some, could be whoever created / ripped them had high boost?

Lastly, I have several friends using BOSE around me as they’ve seen my shows and bought into the sound. They are always there when I need them and vice versa. See if you can find another Bosaholic nearby and together set up both your rigs and find out what’s happening, use the Tmatch in your system, your Tmatch in their system and work out through elimination where the problem is.

Hope my thoughts help you,

best wishes

Dave