ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

L1 Powerstand connectors and B2 Bass Bin connectors

I have read several posts about cable issues with cores breaking at the plug point on B2 Bass bin and other places.

On many occasions I have encouraged folk to change the style of connector - as in my view the standard Neutrik connector does encourage signal breaks in the manner in which we use them.

Straight connectors coming up from the Powerstand produces large loops of cable - which put a bend stress point on the few millimetres entering the Neutrik plug. Over time the copper cores can break.

In addition, cables sticking straight up from the Paowerstand also represent a trip hazard -- which if tripped on can also damage the cables.

I have changed all my Neutrik B2 bin cable connectors to right angle connectors.

Unfortunately - at the Powerstand end they turn to a direction I'd prefer they didn't but they still perform and make less of a hazard. I'd love to turn the socket 180 and have it face the rear end instead.

I am now changing the IEC mains plug to a right angle - leaving the only cable to stick up and weaken itself being the Ethercon - I can't find a right angle plug...

On the B2 bin - the right angle Neutrik now hangs the cable downwards producing zero stress point and a much reduced trip hazard.

Here are some pictures to demonstrate;

Does anyone agree with me?

6 REPLIES 6
GeneS
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2018

Re: L1 Powerstand connectors and B2 Bass Bin connectors

Hi - yes, this was a concern of mine as well. I just got my L1 Mdl. II B2 a few weeks ago but had the same concerns. I bought as cabled TRS to XLR adapter just for that reason, though the small adapter (W/O) cable was recommended - I was too nervous about that thing sticking up and getting kicked or something, or even just making the input wear sooner. I like the idea of the 90s for the speakons... a bit safer and looks cool too.  

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Forgive me if this is a dumb question,  but where did you get these cables? I see references in Bose literature to only use “their” cables, but I’m not sure what they are referring to. Are they just standard speakon cables?

i can see where the 90 degree end would be handy for the powered base. Sticking out from the bass module, perhaps less so, but it does stick out and becomes a trip hazard at least. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ScubaBadger,

Thanks for highlighting this.

It's an easy retrofit.

NL4FRX Neutrik connector

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi CityFolk,

You can use NL4 - Four conductor cables. They don't have to be the Bose cables.

See: Longer cables for B1s and B2s

CityFolk posted:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question,  but where did you get these cables? I see references in Bose literature to only use “their” cables, but I’m not sure what they are referring to. Are they just standard speakon cables?

i can see where the 90 degree end would be handy for the powered base. Sticking out from the bass module, perhaps less so, but it does stick out and becomes a trip hazard at least. 

ST

ScubaBadger
Advocate
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

It’s an easy retrofit as ST says, and does enable you to look at the state of the connectors while converting.

Both ends of on of my cables were quite weak. I believe you can change the cable to any other 4 core cable but I would make sure you don’t reduce core diameter of the four cores.

I have two 5 meter 4 core speaker leads that were originally designed for concert PA systems with 4 x 2.5mm multi strand cores of oxygen free copper “proper” speaker leads as spares or where I want to hide the bass cabs.

Bass is the tone that is non-directional in a room so hiding them creates mystery quite often as people stare at the stick producing all that whump!

oldmachead
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 29, 2010

Thanks, @ScubaBadger and @ST. For Canadians, these are available here: http://www.sfm.ca/

No idea of the cost etc (I just wrote to ask them)

Cheers