Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2008

L1 Pro 16 "wobbly column" with the extension fitted

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name L1 Pro 16

Country

UK

Firmware Version

N/A

App Version

N/A

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

N/A

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in?

N/A

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

N/A

Any troubleshooting steps you took

N/A

Seen a number of videos and  reviews that have highlighted instability of the column array when mounted with the extension piece onto the subwoofer.

Looking for a comment from Bose. Is this peculiar to the Pro 16? Is the array more stable without the extension? Does the Pro 8 have the same issue?

Looking to upgrade from my L1 IIs but this would be an issue for me.

Jim S.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: L1 Pro 16 "wobbly column" with the extension fitted

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator David_G

Hi all,

We appreciate the feedback provided and have forwarded these details to our development team for further review/consideration.

The wobble experienced by some users is expected with any system that uses a similar array design. The Pro16 extensions are made of polypropylene plastic which has proven to have a high flexural strength and has passed all quality, reliability, and safety tests.

The wobble will not impact the performance of the system as the connections between the array, extender and Powerstand are very secure and would require a significant amount of force to damage. The L1 Pro16 meets the same horizontal force stability requirements, or tip testing requirements, that all our L1 legacy products, and current family of L1 Pro products meet. In addition, the electrical connectors used in the L1 Pro16 are the same that have been used on legacy L1 products, which have 17+ years of field usage and satisfactory performance.

As with any of our products, if you are experiencing any issues or are not satisfied with the performance of your product, please go to your regional support site to review the options available to you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply. If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Advocate
Registered since

May 18, 2017

Yes there is a bit of "wobble" in mine too.  It helps you really press it in firmly before you put the array on top.  They should retool and put the blade style attachment back into play like on the "legacy" products

Contributor
Registered since

Sep 10, 2018

I am looking at this particular PA, and I have to wonder how often I will use the extension.  Since it looks to be only 12-18 inches will it really matter?  I realize that is not the question, and I agree that if I spend this kind of money on a PA, every part should be great, but I wonder if I will use the extension enough to justify concern??

I have loved my L1 Model2 and my s1 pro, so i have no reason to believe I will not love this one as well.

Curious how many others will or will not use the extension. 

Contributor
Registered since

Aug 12, 2010

It depends what you want to do with it.

I will most likely keep the extension so that a dancing crowd can hear the music well ...

Eric

Advocate
Registered since

May 18, 2017

If ceiling height allows, always use the extension.  It takes the upper drivers over heads and gives you your maximum array throw distance

Collaborator
Registered since

May 24, 2011

This really concerns me too.  Nearly everyone who has tested the L1 Pro speakers is complaining of this, and some are even returning the item because the build quality is just not what it used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDizgVDf6Tw

It should not have this much play at all, and especially for its price point.

I will wait until BOSE gets on this and resolves the issue before upgrading.

Please, BOSE, I hope you are listening 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDizgVDf6Tw

Contributor
Registered since

Aug 12, 2010

So, I just watched a guy wiggling a line array column for 9 min ....

Could have done it in a minute and get the point across.

I have a couple of dump questions:

Are you standing at your speaker during a gig and move it back and forth?

Are you concerned about a drunk guy running into the speaker?

Or?

Yes there is some movement. All line array move to some degree. Physics.

My compact does too.

Never had a problem.

Plays music just fine a high volumes without moving at all.

No speaker will be save if a drunk guy falls into it. He will tear it down. Physics.

Even though I agree that it could be a better fit it does not in any away impact the performance of the speaker.

I am a musician. The clarity of my voice is unparalleled with my new L1 Pro16.

For DJ's it might not matter as much. I don't know.

I know that this speaker will be with me for a very long time and I have no doubt that it will do fine and not fall over on it's own.

I see a lot of post's and videos these days that are very polarized.

Small things are often blown out of proportion.

Yes, the speaker is expensive, yes it should be built well, no it is not as bad as described.

Again, I don't think that a little wiggle will have an impact on the performance of the speaker at all.

I am very happy with mine.

Eric

Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2008

Love the sound from my Bose L1 Model IIs and fully expect the sound from the L1 Pro Range to be as good, if not better.

From what I've researched so far, the problem with the L1 Pro 16 is the plastic extension piece which gives rise to the "wobble": the column array is reported to be secure and stable when not using the extension piece.

Can anybody tell me what the overall system height of the Pro 16 is without the extension piece?

Thanks,

Jim S.

Advocate
Registered since

May 18, 2017

Much more stable withouth the extender

Participant
Registered since

Dec 18, 2020

I have been thinking about getting a Bose line array for a while now and when I heard about the new l1 Pros I decided I was going to get the pro16. Watching these videos of the wobble I have decided not to get it and am disappointed. If I am spending that kind of money I want something that will last a long time and is built well. I hope Bose addresses this issue quickly.