bigbandmusicman
Registered since

Oct 31, 2010

L1 Recommendation for 17 piece big band + vocals

I am interested in using L1 system components (Model II towers for PA and Compact for monitors) with my 18 piece big band, primarily because of light weight and compact size. My big band is composed of 5 saxes, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, Bass, Guitar, Drum kit, Keyboard, Vocals. Mic placements are 2 Vocalists, 6 horn soloists, and 6 mic drum mic kit thru an Allen & Heath passive mixer. You can see a visual of our band at www.azdanceband.com. We produce a lot of volume unamplified, but we need to mic vocals and horn solos for larger rooms.

Two questions - 1) is this going to overload the L1 Model II's and negatively affect sound quality of the mix, and 2) what L1 components would you recommend for adequate PA and monitor volume for audiences up to 500 people in a typical hotel ballroom venue?

I am ready to buy "NOW" whenever I become conviced that this is going to work for my application and what your recommended configuration would be.

Thank you for your assistance.
2 REPLIES 2
adam-at-bose
Registered since

Jun 5, 2009

Re: L1 Recommendation for 17 piece big band + vocals

Hi Big Band Music Man,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the L1 forum!

Regarding your first question, I do not think you will be overloading the L1's as long as you split up the inputs between the two systems. For example if you have two L1 model II systems, you can run one vocal through each, and split up the horns between the systems, and perhaps just run the drums through both.

Secondly, two L1 model II's can easily provide coverage to a room of 500 people. They were designed originally to be able to be used without monitors, but considering the size of your band, it would make sense to use the L1 compacts for that role as well.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Amy1
Registered since

Dec 11, 2019

Re: L1 Recommendation for 17 piece big band + vocals

Hi!

i have the L2 and want to use it for my vocals  in a 16 piece big band. Is one enough? Or do you not recommend this? I have the Bose 4/5 channel mixer.