Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

L1 Systems and Acoustic Guitar Feedback Busters

I had an interesting experience last night. I've been playing this fun patio show at a nice hotel in downtown Knoxville the past few Friday nights. I go guitar and vocals into my T1, Master out to my L1 Compact and Aux out to my S1 Pro as a monitor in the floor wedge position.

Last night I had to set up in a new spot and I was having a lot of trouble with the low end of my acoustic guitar. After about 2 hours of fighting it, I remembered that I have a feedback buster (rubber sound hole plug) in my guitar case. I popped that thing in and it totally solved my guitar trouble.

But.....it felt like someone else was playing the guitar! It was a very strange experience! I NEVER need a feedback buster using my L1 systems and since L1 systems have been my primary sound systems for about 14 years, playing with a feedback buster felt very odd to me. I felt disconnected from the guitar.

I came to realize just how much I hear and feel the natural acoustic sound of my guitar even when I'm plugged in. I was lost without that and I've been playing live for a long time!

I think because these L1 systems usually allow me to fill very large areas without pushing a ton of volume, I get to enjoy the acoustic nature of my guitar even when I'm plugged in. Or at least that has been the case up until last night.

Hopefully this was an anomaly! This was the first time I had the S1 directly in front of me. Usually I have my L1 on one side of my and the S1 on the other so I'll either have to work on my S1 placement or at least spend some time getting used to playing with that feedback buster.

Just sharing!
Matt

6 REPLIES 6
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 Systems and Acoustic Guitar Feedback Busters

Hi Matt,

It's good to hear from you. Acoustics are fickle, aren't they?

Next time you run into a problem with excessive low end, try moving the S1 Pro a couple of feet in any direction that's convenient. You may find that changes the relationship of the S1 Pro to the room, and with that, a change in the low-end response.

Also, I know you're a seasoned pro with this gear, but did you have the ToneMatch Preset set to Guitar?

Check this out: When is an Acoustic Guitar Not an Acoustic Guitar?

These days, I'm playing electric guitar most of the time, but it's always a treat to play an acoustic guitar and get that blend of the sound of the instrument in the air as well as through the sound system. The whole point of the sound hole cover is to minimize the sound in the air. I understand why you would miss that.

Cheers, Matt!

ST

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Thanks ST!
Good advice as always! I like the article in the link. Good stuff!

I do typically have the S1 Pro off to the side of me. Since I am always using the S1 Pro as a wedge monitor I will have the L1 system I am using off to one side and slightly in front of me. I then put the S1 Pro off to my other side to create kind of a surround sound for me on stage. 

I still always use my trusty Da-Lite Project-O-Stand table so my ideal set up is the L1 (Compact or Model 2) off to my right on the other side of my table and then the S1 Pro off to my left. Last night I had to put my L1 Compact off to my left. Since my table is on my right, I was stuck putting the S1 Pro directly in front of me. Not ideal!

Good thought about the preset on the S1 Pro. I have gotten in the habit of checking that as I plug in but I could see how having a preset selected sure could cause some trouble. 

On top of this, this is only my 4th or 5th show with this guitar. It's a Maton with their AP5 Pro pickup. That blends a piezo with an internal mic so lots going on there too but the plugged in sound is wonderful! This is the first time I've had any trouble with it. The feedback buster solved it instantly but as you mentioned, removing the sound in the air sure changed the feel of the instrument!

Matt

Not applicable

when I use my S1 as a wedge I go Main out of the Compact and in channel 1 of the S1 and adjust the volume on the S1 tone match off on the channel because it gets what my house gets from the T1 & Compact. It's right there at my feet so and . I have never had a problem. Oh and my Compact is behind me and off to the side. If ever there was a problem I think twisting the compact 1 way or the other in relation to the vocal mic might help. My 2 cents 

open-road-matt
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 23, 2005

Thanks Gary!

What do you think about making adjustments to the S1 mid-show with it on the ground? I go back and forth on this. Part of me wants to leave out the T1 and just go guitar and vocals directly into the Compact and then do as you suggested, take the main out to the S1. 

I've tried this at home and it seems to work just fine but when it comes time to set up for a show I always use the T1. I do think my overall sound is better going guitar and vocals into the T1 first and then master out to the Compact, Aux out to the S1. The other reason is so I can make any adjustments without having to bend over and tweak either the Compact or the S1. 

I suppose I should just try it once and see how it goes but I guess the T1 is like my security blanket!

I was back on that same patio again this past Friday but back in my old spot. I didn't need the feedback buster and there was no feedback. I think it was just something weird about that other spot.

Matt

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Matt,

I understand. It's hard to give up the control and convenience of having the T1 at your finger tips.

When I play without it, I compensate with my vocal and guitar technique for minor changes rather than reaching down to the S1 Pro.

ST

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi again Matt,

"security blanket"

Here's an afterthought. Set up the T1, and then don't make any changes to it for a  whole set (or gig). Make any changes directly on the S1 Pro and L1 Compact.

See how that goes.

ST