Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 13, 2010

L1 compact

Hi there, 

I am looking to upgrade my PA system to a smaller system. I play folk music so its mostly acoustic instruments, accordion, fiddle flute, guitar vocals in the band. At the moment we use 2 Bose 802 speakers and a spirit sound craft 600watt desk. This suits perfect for the places that we play i.e mostly bars and sometimes hotels function rooms, normally no more than 200 people. I have been looking at the L1 compact system as I used one a while ago and thought it was very nice. I was wondering if one L1 system alone would carry same punch as I have at the moment. I cannot decide whether to go with 1/2 L1 compacts or to go with the L1B1 system. Any advice that you might have would be really helpful. Ideally I can get the same volume/sound that we have at the moment but in a much smaller system

thanks

Padraic

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: L1 compact

Hi Padraic,

My first thought is one Bose Compact will not provide the same " punch" as two 802's.

There are other questions that need to be answered to determine which system or how many might be needed to suit your purpose.

Share with us more information about the band. How many open mics, what the mics are used for, what instruments are you amplifying, how many at same time,  size of typical audience, are they listening or dancing, or other?

O..

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 13, 2010

Hi Oldghm

Thanks for replying to me

So with regards to the band we have accordion (AKG condenser microphone), fiddle (pick-up) flute and bodhran (open mic sm58) Guitar (pick up) and Vocals ( Open mic sm 58 ). Normally 4 or 5 channels going at the same time. ie. for instrumental music accordion/fiddle/flute/guitar all going at the same time. For the Vocal tracks that we do normally guitar + vocals + bodhran and maybe one other instrument.

As regards to venues its mostly bars where you get a bit of everything, ie some people are listening, some people are talking and some are attempting to dance 😀 ( on average the bars we play are approx 100 meters squared) and the numbers would normally be around 100 people. we also do wedding ceremonies ( approx 100/200 people)  in hotels function rooms which would be bigger rooms but with a quieter audience.

Hope this sheds a little light

Thanks

Padraic

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Hi Padraic, 

OK, you should know that I am a big believer in using the L1 systems as originally conceived and designed, one per performer. I love the independent control, the localization, being able to utilize as main and monitor, etc.

That being said, many use the systems, with bands, with great success.

I feel certain that one Compact will not provide what you need, Two might work if you put them out front where you can maximize volume without feedback concerns. Three live mics simultaneously along with an instrument or two is probably a lot to ask for and still take advantage of placing behind for monitoring while still covering a large room.

A single Model II with B2 would probably provide sufficient coverage and volume, but you still have the placement and feedback issues to work out.

To take full advantage of what the L1 has to offer and to approximate the output of your current system I would recommend at least two L1s systems

The powered mixer can be used if you have line level outputs. You can not use the mixer's built in power amp.

I would want to hear the accordion through the Compact to make sure the bottom end is sufficient, before committing to purchase. Of course most retailers, and Bose, offer a try out,  grace period, that gives ample time to test systems to insure they meet your needs.

Is there a retail outlet where you can try out the various systems. I have no problem recommending the L1 systems for individual or duo use, when it comes to  more than two players in a single system or a band through Compacts I have to suggest that you find a way to try the system(s) and make your final decision based on what you learn.

I know there are threads here that have information posted by bands that use the L1. Since the format change, things are a little more difficult to find. Try the search feature for more information. I'll take a look too, and if I find something will come back with a link.

O..

check the threads at this link.

https://community.bose.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&f...