Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 11, 2018

L1 stereo set up

I have 2 L1 Compact systems that I use with [ usually] one Nord keyboard....

I'm wondering what the best way to achieve a stereo effect would be ?

I've tried these 2 set-ups:

Set-up #1.     Left  out of the kybd ...into first Bose.    Right out of kybd to second Bose.

Output from first Bose into second Bose.    Out put from second Bose to main PA.

Set up #2 :     Left ouput from kybd into first Bose.   Output from first Bose into second Bose.....output from there to mains.

I've been using stereo cables for all these connections.   Is there a better way to do this ?

thx for any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: L1 stereo set up

Hi ichabods8,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.    Welcome.

ichabods8 posted:

I have 2 L1 Compact systems that I use with [ usually] one Nord keyboard....

I'm wondering what the best way to achieve a stereo effect would be ?

I've tried these 2 set-ups:

Set-up #1.     Left  out of the kybd ...into first Bose.    Right out of kybd to second Bose.

This will give stereo.

Output from first Bose into second Bose.    Out put from second Bose to main PA.

Set up #2 :     Left ouput from kybd into first Bose.   Output from first Bose into second Bose.....output from there to mains.

This will be mono.

I've been using stereo cables for all these connections.   Is there a better way to do this ?

thx for any suggestions.

If you want to hear the stereo effect from the keyboard, use set up #1.

If you want to send a signal to the main pa (which is probably running mono) connect from the LINE OUT from each L1 Compact to the PA. That will take two channels. The PA will handle it from there.

OR

If you Nord keyboard has four outputs, you can run outputs 1 and 2 to the L1 Compacts, and outputs 3 and 4 to the PA.

Source

Note: The audio outputs are unbalanced. This means you can use 1/4" (6.3 mm) Tip-Sleeve cables. There's no benefit to using 1/4" (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables.  However, there is benefit to using the 1/4" (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables to connect from the L1 Compacts to the PA (if the PA accepts balanced inputs).

Does that help?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 11, 2018

Yeah...thats helpful ST.....thx for those suggestions.   It sounds as though my first set-up is the best choice for stereo.

The Nord is an Electro 3 so....only Left /right ouputs.......it sounds really good with that first set-up but if the L1's are not positioned equi-distant from your head/ears.....it can sound out of balance.

I haven't tried connecting 2 outs from each L1  to the main system 'cause the board doesn't have enough inputs.

Anyway....thx again for this !

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 13, 2018

Ichabod(?),

I'm not sure I understand your first setup. 

ichabods8 posted:

Your first sentence describes a stereo setup, i.e. one Bose carries the left channel of the keyboard, and the other Bose carries the keyboard's right channel.

Your second sentence lost me. If you take the output from the first Bose into the 2nd Bose, now you have one channel on the first Bose but both channels on the second Bose mixed together in mono, and then a mono signal out of the second Bose to the PA.

This is mono throughout (I'm assuming your left output of your keyboard is a mono output if no right channel cable connection is made?). 

thx for any suggestions.

What do you mean by "stereo cables"? Do you mean TRS 1/4" cables? If so, plugging those into the left and right output of the Nord keyboard and then into the L1 input won't give you stereo anything. The Nord output is likely mono and will just use the Tip and Sleeve connection of the Tip-Ring-Sleeve plug, but the L1, seeing a TRS cable plugged into it, would expect a "balanced" signal, i.e. Tip and Ring carrying audio signal and Sleeve carrying ground...if it only sees audio coming in on the Tip, but not the ring, it may cause some loss of signal. That also may be why your L1's sound "out of balance" in the first setup.  

Try using mono TS cables (regular guitar/keyboard type patch cables) and see if setup #1 sounds any better, as each Bose 1/4" input will then properly accept the mono signal from each channel of your keyboard. That said, running stereo and not being dead center *would* sound out of balance in any setup, depending on how far away from the speakers you are. This is why most professional PA setups are actually run in mono, unless you can have a stereo pair of speakers covering each area so each area gets left and right audio channels. 

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 11, 2018

Hi Jeff......yes you’re correct....the first set up is the stereo

one I wanted.  I just wondered if there were any other ways of connecting the 2 L1’s and sending their outputs

to the main PA. Someone else had said that regular TS cables would work just as well..or better.  

By stereo cables I meant TRS.  I’d never tried running

kybds in stereo before so... experimenting a bit!

Thx for your comments.