cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

LI MII Died last night!!

I did a large coporate event last night at a 5 star resort and got all set as usual, wireless gear and laptop via usb, but went I pushed go.. all I got was sound from the BI's, nothing from the LI's.
I did the usual panic mode cable switching, re-booting, etc..nothing.
Not sure if this is relevant, but down thru the analog input on the amp I could see a faint red light flashing.

Leo

PS: ask me how my night went?
12 REPLIES 12
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: LI MII Died last night!!

Hi Leo,

I am so sorry to hear about this. You are describing my worst nightmare scenario.

What did you do? ("how did your night go?")

ST

PS

I think I've read about the red light inside the Model II Power Stand. I'll try to find a link.

I found what I remembered, but it's for a Model I. PS1 Red light flashing inside
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Leo,

I have to ask... have you tried your system today?

If I understood your post, then I have had this happen twice with L1®s.

Once on a Model II, I noticed that all I could hear was bass, and when I checked the L1®, there was no sound from the Cylindrical Radiator®. I just powered down the system, removed the Cylindrical Radiator® and put it back in. I fired up the system and it was fine. And it hasn't been a problem since.

Once on a Classic, same symptoms; sound from only the B1. Tried the power down remove and replace the Cylindrical Radiator® routine, and nothing.

I pulled out the Cylindrical Radiator® and looked in the well (the hole in the Power Stand where you insert the Cylindrical Radiator® ), just in case there was something in there that was obstructing the connection. Nothing.

I looked at the lower Cylindrical Radiator® and on the bottom (where it goes into the well) I noticed that the shiny metal bracket was slightly bent. I removed that bracket (it's for the locking mechanism) and the Cylindrical Radiator® seated properly and I was back in business.

How is your system today?

Have you had a chance to look in the well and at the bottom of the lower Cylindrical Radiator® ?
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

Thanks guys and here is the latest.
Yep, ST this happened once before and all of the un-plugging of everything at the gig was a no go.
I got home and did this and it worked again, so I did another 3 or 4 gigs and thought all was well.

As a logic sequence I removed the bottom cap from the bottom speaker and the internal plug was unplugged, but I really think I did that myself because the cap came off with a pop and the plug is not a locking type and comes apart quite easily. I also checked out the plugs on the bottom speaker and in the well as I play mostly on or near the ocean and even gave it a shot of De-Oxit.

After re-assembling the bottom speaker and reinserted it..the darn thing worked. I should be happy but I'm nervous Smile

The first time it happened the Tonematch was telling the power stand was not connected, last night it said it WAS connected, so now I am confused.

Last night I was at the 5 star Sea Island Resort on Sea Island Georgia in the main ball room and always surrounded by many staff members like banquet captains and managers running around oiling the gears. As I am a regular of many years they know me so they calmly called their in house AV company and they brought me a model I and set it up and I used my two B1's, so that part went well...I was lucky.

Taking a big breath--Leo
S70XS_user
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 30, 2012

Hi,

I had an amp fail on me at a gig, but worked perfectly when I tested it at home for 12 hours.

Then I had a keyboard that mysteriously powered off and then rebooted - and the penny dropped.

I had a dodgy multi board, replaced that and have not had a problem since.
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

A follow up:

I was off friday but at Saturdays gig (with pain in the butt backup on board)I set everything up, reached for the main switch and held me breath....."test, test"...ahhh the sound of my voice Smile
Barring an internal problem I'm 98% sure the problem was mechanical. The plug in the botton speaker is configured that the plug half in the speaker has no slack and the other half in the cap, when the speaker is installed, is always trying to pull the plug apart. Now after 5 years and well over 500 gigs...remember, the plug is not a locking type and is under constant vibration.

Couple that with a corrosive enviroment and you get a loose or at least high resistance connection. I ain't no Bose engineer (although I am a mechanical)but it it all makes sense to me. Of course I may be justifing this the same way you try to justify a low turn out at a gig....there was a ball game in town, it was school graduation...Wink

I';m not giving up on my beloved Bose, but if it happens again I'll seriously consider it. In the last 20 years I can't remember another major piece of sound reinforcement gear fail at a crucial moment such as this. It most certainly could have..but it just didn't.

Viva la Bose --Leo
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the follow up. Nice analysis of the situation.

Interesting thought here: "Of course I may be justifing this the same way you try to justify a low turn out at a gig....there was a ball game in town, it was school graduation..."

It's probably a stretch but this reminded me of ...

quote:
Originally posted by wikipedia:
The creation of mondegreens may be driven in part by a phenomenon akin to cognitive dissonance, as it is psychologically uncomfortable to listen to a song (in a language you are fluent in) and not be able to make out the words (especially if you are trying to sing along). In his article on mondegreens, Steven Connor explains the theory that mondegreens/mishearings are the result of our brains' constant attempts to make sense of the world (that is, the sensory input that we treat as reality) by making assumptions to fill in the gaps when we can't clearly determine what we are hearing (see articles on speech perception):

But, though mishearings may appear pleasingly or even subversively to sabotage sense, they are in fact in essence negentropic, which is to say, they push up the slope from random noise to the redundancy of voice, moving therefore from the direction of nonsense to sense, of nondirection to direction. They seem to represent the intolerance of pure phenomena. In this they are different from the misspeakings with which they are often associated. Seeing slips of the ear as simply the auditory complement of slips of the tongue mistakes their programmatic nature and function. Misspeakings are the disorderings of sense by nonsense; mishearings are the wrenchings of nonsense into sense.

Source: Wikipedia Mondegreen (Psychology)

AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

quote:
I';m not giving up on my beloved Bose, but if it happens again I'll seriously consider it. In the last 20 years I can't remember another major piece of sound reinforcement gear fail at a crucial moment such as this. It most certainly could have..but it just didn't.

Hi

I hear you loud and clear. In over 50 years of performing I have "never" had a Amp or mixer fail. I love my Compact "and" my Model2. but have had issues with both of them and had them repaired. Maybe it's just me , but I still say a little prayer when I turn on the system so I know the feeling that you have inside. I may sell my Model2 and buy another compact so I will have a light weight back up with me should my compact fail and then use both Compact's for larger gigs. Sounds crazy , but no way am I going to lose my great Bose Sound.

Still in love with my Bose!
AJ
Class Entertainment
"music is either new or old...it just "is"
Dance Host
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

Hi

"In over 50 years of performing I have "never" had a Amp or mixer fail."

Lifted from AJ.

Same with me as AJ, but both T1 and Power Base of Model 2 failed on me. Like him BOSE repaired my equipment. In reflecting, I got an explanation that some extraneous signal may have caused the problems. Dropouts happened to me several times but so far there has been no problem since the repairs.

In 60 years no other equipment ever failed on me. I would like to know why the Model 2 equipment has such sensitivity?

Thanks
colandy
Registered since

Dec 5, 2004

I had a relatively new M***** amp fail on me BB,(before Bose). A friend who lived nearby bailed me out that night with a replacement.

Modern electronics are not fool proof. Have you ever had a computer let you down? I certainly have.

Respect,
Col. Andy