Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccook70
Registered since

Jan 18, 2008

Live Audio for Jazz Orchestra Question

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com

First of all, I'd like to clarify that I'm not exactly an audio expert.

Here is a basic personnel list for my orchestra:

4 Trumpets
3 Trombones
5 Saxophones
Piano
Bass
Guitar
Drums

- What kind of live audio setup do you think would be most useful for a relatively large orchestra of this nature?

Thank you for your consideration.

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com
11 REPLIES 11
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Live Audio for Jazz Orchestra Question

Hi Corey,

Please take a couple of minutes with our stage layout tool The Sketcher to show us how you set your stage. When you follow the link, just use your mouse to drag instruments onto the stage area. The audience is below the stage.

Please take a moment to look at the help screen that will come up when you follow the link.

When you are done I will post a picture of your stage layout here and we can talk about your live audio setup.

Please tell us about the kinds of music you play and where you perform. It would be helpful to know the approximate size of your typical venues and what the audience is doing during your performances.

Thank you.

Here is the link to The Sketcher
ccook70
Registered since

Jan 18, 2008

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I've sent the stage layout.

We play jazz music, and the places we perform at may range from jazz clubs to auditoriums. The audience sits right in front of the saxophones, and they are sitting during the performances.

Does anyone have suggestions for microphones? I'll want to have a microphone for each musician, which will ideally attach to each individual's music stand.

Like I say, I don't know much about audio equipment, really. I'll probably end up hiring someone who knows how to use all of it. But what is some other equipment I should be aware of, besides speakers and microphones?

Many questions- Thank you for your consideration.

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com
ccook70
Registered since

Jan 18, 2008

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com

Do these Bose speaker system work differently than other speakers? I suppose I'm not very familiar with the features of various Bose speaker setups. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions.

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ccook70,

Thanks for using The Sketcher!

This is just a quick note to send you a link to your Sketch in case you want to review it, edit it, or share it with others.

-- click image to make changes to the live version --

Quoting ccook70 from The Sketcher
quote:
Layout of orchestra-

The audience will be sitting in front of the orchestra, facing the row of saxophones.

The audience will be sitting. The venue size will range primarily from jazz clubs to concert auditoriums. Is there a general purpose setup which will work well in most situations?

Corey C. Cook

I am going to contact a couple of fellows who are quite familiar with this kind of orchestra. It may take a a day or two to hear back from them.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Corey,

quote:
Originally posted by ccook70:
Do these Bose speaker system work differently than other speakers? I suppose I'm not very familiar with the features of various Bose speaker setups. Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions.

Corey C. Cook

Yes the Bose L1™ System operates differently. Here is a link to the inventor of the System talking about live music amplification and the L1™

Clifford Henricksen video.

You can read more about it here:

The Bose® Approach.

L1™ Speaker Technology.

L1™ System Frequently Asked Questions
ccook70
Registered since

Jan 18, 2008

Corey C. Cook
ccook70@yahoo.com

Thank you for your replies.

When you look at the picture of the orchestra setup- that one trumpet off in the corner is supposed to be up with the 3 other trumpets.

Corey C. Cook
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ccook70,

Like this?

-- click image to make changes to the live version --

Quoting ccook70 from The Sketcher
quote:
Layout of orchestra-

The audience will be sitting in front of the orchestra, facing the row of saxophones.

The audience will be sitting. The venue size will range primarily from jazz clubs to concert auditoriums. Is there a general purpose setup which will work well in most situations?

Corey C. Cook
ccook70
Registered since

Jan 18, 2008

Yes, thank you.
Bari Boy
Participant
Registered since

Oct 29, 2003

Hi Corey,
There's a lot of ways you could go with this. Most big bands of this size usually have mics/amplification for the rhythm section and separate mics for soloists with all the sectional work being done acoustically.. if you are a higher volume Maynard Ferguson type big band and are going to mic every instrument you could either use two L1 systems as a PA with a board if you are going to have a sound man mixing everything or 4 systems with say the rhythm section in one, the trumpets in a second system, Bones and Bari in a third and the other four saxes in the fourth. Each section could have their own T1 and submix themselves and have to control the soloists mic's. Some more specificsl on the type of big band music and venues would help. Give me a little more detail and I can make some suggestions. I'm going to be on the road away from a computer until Tuesday so I can get back wiith you then.

Thanks for joining us!

Dean