Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Looking into buying a Compact model (maybe 2) for Conferences, seminars, workshops

New discussion for JLEIVA.

Originally posted in Creative Compact Uses
8 REPLIES 8
jleiva
Registered since

Jul 23, 2012

Re: Looking into buying a Compact model (maybe 2) for Conferences, seminars, workshops

I am looking into buying a Compact model (maybe 2) for the following purpose:

*The main events are Conferences, seminars, workshops, presentations.
*So, it is mostly vocals.
*Events are usually for 50 to 150 people audience.

Would Compact model be the better fit for this type of events?

Thanks a lot.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Looking into buying a Compact model (maybe 2) for Conferences, seminars, workshops

Hi JLEIVA,

Thank you for joining the Forum.

I have used the Compact (and sometimes two) for public speaking events.

• The main events are Conferences, seminars, workshops, presentations.
  • Events are usually for 50 to 150 people audience

If I had to choose between two Compacts or a Model II (with a B1), I would choose the Model II with the B1. Reference: L1® Model II in the wiki

The tipping point for me is at about 80-100 people assuming that I have a quiet, attentive audience, and a relatively quiet room. If I was in a large room with a 100-150 people (but big enough for a couple of hundred people), that was acoustically lively, I KNOW that I would fare better with a Model II.

edit: I have used a Compact in a very quiet room with over 300 people listening intently, so that is possible too.

edit: (In my own experience) I find a Model II will reach (conservatively), four times the area of one Compact. Even two Compacts in the best case scenario will still only reach half as many listeners as a Model II.

Now the Compacts are more versatile in the sense that you can take just one for most of the events up to 50 people and two Compacts if you are speaking to 50-100 and they are spaced wider (to you left and right) rather than farther (depth of the room in front of you as you speak). The Compacts are also lighter and a little faster to set up. I keep both of mine in the trunk of my car and still have room for whatever else needs to go back there.

But if you ARE going to need to speak to groups of greater than 100 people, in rooms that were not designed to support spoken word, then a Model II is probably a better choice.

Again, for context... I have two Compacts as well as Model II. If in doubt about any speaking engagement (size of the room, acoustics, noise from the audience), I ALWAYS take my Model II knowing with absolute confidence that I will be heard.

Does that help?
jazzsinger1954
Registered since

Oct 28, 2010

I have two Compacts and find them to be very useful in a variety of situations. I had my church buy a Classic model when they first came out and I have used it extensively as well.

I think the two Compact setup would serve you well and you could do two separate small conferences at the same time if necessary. You can also spread them out for larger events and have great coverage. True, they are not as powerful as the LII, but they should be quite good for the spoken voice. Bose has voiced their entire range to sound very similar, so I do not find much difference at all between the clarity of the larger Classic, the LII and the Compact. You do need to position them correctly. Public speakers and conference leaders generally do not need the kind of monitoring that musicians require, so I place the Compacts almost even with the presenter instead of behind and to the side. Once you do this and crank them up, you can easily cover a quiet, attentive audience of 250 people with zero worries about feedback. The coverage of the Compacts is awesome with two of them and presenters can hear themselves just fine.

I thoroughly respect the opinions of my friends and colleagues on this forum. No matter what you decide to do, you will be happy with the Bose sound for your application! I'm just relating my experience.
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Hello All,

New Guy on the Bose block. I brought my compacts originally for small parties and ceremonies but decided to try them out for a seminar I did in Scranton, PA for 350 people in a large ballroom and I'm sure glad I did. Got nothing but compliments from the attendees and my client about how good the sound was. The coverage was even, intelligible and consistent thoughout the whole room. The seminar consisted of spoken word, powerpoints and videos with sound and smooth jazz for the lunch portion.

The Bose L1 family of speakers is IMHO the ideal audio system for Corporate, Conferences, seminars and presentations. The setup is simple and effective. I didn't even need to use my feedback eliminator. The 2 Compacts are replacing 4 EV SX300's, a QSC 3002 Amp and 2 crankup stands with forks that by themselves weigh more than the Bose Compacts. It's a no brainer for me, happy back, happy client and happy guests and great sound. I will be definitely be adding to the Bose arsenal very soon. Pics of my presentation setup will be forthcoming.

Thanks Bose. Smile

Satin Latin (DJ Frankie C.)
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Here are the pics
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

More pics
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Pics
Satin Latin
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 5, 2012

Equipment Pic