roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Re: Lyrics On A Tablet PC

I use a bluetooth mouse for general stuff. I use the stylus for making notes or corrections.
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

A few updates on the Motion Computing LE1600.
The LE1600 has been shipping now (at least the ones we get off lease from ITS.Photo) with a 60gb drive and 1.5 gig of memory.

I've tried using a stylus on the LE1600 and my finger on my other touch HP tablet and it is just too difficult to get good navigation while standing and performing.
I find that a "Bluetooth" mouse works much better along side the tablet on a music stand.

I used to use a Mic stand holder, but went back to a music stand after a holiday accident knocked my LE1600 off the mic stand holder onto the floor, cracking the glass, requiring the purchase of another refurbed backup unit.

The repair costs more than a used/refurb off of ebay.
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

You can also do a lot with the onscreen keyboard for quick lookups and such.
At home when updating, I plug in a USB keyboard.

The big thing here is it's the best I have come across for doing outdoor gigs. They were made for the service industry, writing up car collision estimates outdoors and construction.

They also have handy Bump cases for them. I got one and I think it will help protect it.
Motion Cases
hellboy
Registered since

Jan 16, 2008

If anyone's interested, we use an HP TouchSmart tx12 on stage.

The big deal about that is it's Multi-touch (pinch 'n Zoom) and fairly easy to navigate around with just your fingers.

If you guys can use a Stylus, than more power to ya (seriously) but in this day and age, I really am a "Multi-touch finger guy".

This Tablet PC is a bit pricey, but I suspect those of you in the U.S. can pick it up cheaper than I did (Australia) - !

Never used it outdoors, so I can't really comment about it's abilities in that respect.....

Still, we'll NEVER go back to big clumsy books/sheets now! Smile
Registered since

Feb 15, 2005

I appreciate all of the input. For me, it's essential that the tablet have the best view available for outdoor gigs. We play a lot of wineries, picnics, and fairs.

I'm not anticipating that a stylus would slow me down that much and I'm confident that the benefits of using a tablet computer far outweigh the clumsiness of a turning pages in a binder.

Thanks for chiming in here.
Registered since

Feb 15, 2005

I ended up buying one of the LE1600 Motion Tablets from IT.Photo, on ebay. It should be arriving any day now and I'm anxious to put it to use.

As a side note (because this is a "Bose L1" site), my original Bose L1 + one B1 that I purchased in December of 2004 are still going strong. I had to send the B1 back to Bose for a warranty repair. Their service was simply awesome!

I've since added another B1 + T1. I should have bought the T1 when they first came out. All I've got to say is that it works for me.

Thanks to all!
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Here is something new for your consideration. Not for me but it has it's place for someone. I-Tab
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Roy,

I just read about that device too, but I think I'd rather use an iPod Touch with a Dunlop D65 holder on my guitar or mic stand.
mikey1
Registered since

Jun 28, 2011

Hi,

An old thread, but my point is probably relevant to anyone who's contributed. Just thought I'd mention the Binder 2 app for Mac. It's available from the Mac App store and will work on a Mac laptop or iPad (Having checked with the author of the app, the software does not presently work on the iPad although as of a week or two ago, he said he was beginning the iPad version). If you store all your lyrics as PDFs, it will allow you to do predictive search (start typing name of song and it'll find the matches). It will then (and this is the kicker for me) play the relevant track in iTunes. This is ideal for one man outfits using backing tracks. For me it seems to be the holy grail. I've been moving over to it with my existing set and haven't gigged with it yet but I think it's a great app,

cheers,

Mike
stos2
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

Are you sure this will work on an iPad 2? The AppStore indicates that a Mac is needed.

Dave