cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveW1
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

Mic feedback

We are a duo of guitar and bass, both sing and we use backing tracks.  We have been using some floor monitors to better be able to hear the backing tracks. These are powered monitors one of which is a Bose S1. Both are fed/looped out of the L1 main 1/4" output.  I've also tried a mic stand mounted monitor.  

We're both using Sure SM58's but are having great difficulty with mic feed back.  We try the usual; reduce treble and volume, reposition the monitors, move the L1 compact back further.  Nothing is working well - especially when we need to increase volume to fill a room. We're usually running the L1 compact at about mid volume on both channels.  We do have a 4 channel Bose T1 Tone Match Mixer feeding the channel 2 of the L1 Compact. The base player's mic is in the L1's channel #1.  While my guitar, mic, and backing tracks are fed into the T1.  We have been positioning the single L1 compact centered between us about 4' - 8' back. Suggestions on eliminating the mic feedback?

I know that this system is designed to not require monitors – but we've found we can't stay with the backing tracks without a source close to our ears. Hoping there is a solution?

If we want to use monitors - should we place the L1 Compact in front of us?…or off to one side?

Thanks, Steve

32 REPLIES 32
John_Norris
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Re: Mic feedback

I too am in a duo but I am running the L1 model 2  with the B2 with absolutely no feedback problems.  the S1 as a monitor and sometimes it's just the L1. Maybe an upgrade to the model 2?

SteveW1
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

Thanks John. We do use a 4 channel tone match mixer fed into channel 2 of our L1 Compact.  Is that what you're referring to by "maybe a tonematch mixer is in your future"??  I really can't justify an upgrade to a model 2.  Any more suggestions for using the L1 Compact with monitors – without mic feedback? 

John_Norris
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Outside of putting the tower in front of you, which to me, you would lose sound on stage. There has to be a placement problem somewhere. How far are you from the L1? How far in front of you are the monitors? Is the feedback coming from the monitors or the tower?

John_Norris
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Also ( this is just my opinion) I hate SM58's. I own a box of them. We switched to the Peavey dynamic mic that is rated the same as the SM58 and not only does it sound better, but it's hotter so the volume levels are lower than what we had set for the SM58's. I know it's the industry standard, but I like some other brands better with the BOSE.

John_Norris
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Steve, do you have a picture or diagram of your typical stage set up?

DKMUSIC
Participant
Registered since

Jul 23, 2019

I know you'll get tons of suggestions...let me add.  I was getting feedback issues with my L1 1S and thought using my Beta 58 would help solve the issue but I did a "A" "B" test at a gig (Beta one set and SM58 the second set) and to my surprise the SM58 had less feedback.....Try different mic's......and you can also try to angle the tower slightly away from you.  I turn my tower about 22 degrees away from me and I use 2 B1 base units....and one faces with the tower and the other I face more towards me....this works for most every application.   

Doug

SteveW1
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

Steve's Bose L1 Compact setup

John_Norris
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

5 feet to the tower might be a little close. I typically am 8-12  feet away from the tower myself at an angle ( as far as the stage will allow). 

I know some stages do allow that, but I get as far from the tower as possible at an angle and we only use one S1 between us.

SteveW1
Registered since

Aug 26, 2019

We have had feedback with the L1 Compact as far back as 10'.  Is the fact that we have two mics centered on the L1 an issue?

It seems like the feedback dissipates if we turn one or both of the monitors off completely or to a minimal (useless) volume.

I'm thinking the feedback originates from the monitors pointed back towards the tower (or mics ) - but it's difficult to tell where it originates from.