Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 29, 2019

Mixing L1 and F1 speakers for live performance

Our 4 piece band has a theatre gig coming up max 350 but bleacher seating and a very high ceiling.  We own an L1 model II with B2 bass that works for small club performances (drums/bass/guitar/keys/3vocals through a T8s TM mixer and love the fact we no longer need monitors!!!

We feel we need a little more sound reinforcement for this hall. In our area only L1 model I's and F1's are available to rent.  So here are my questions:

1) Will a rented L1 Model 1 with B2 bass with our own T8s/model II/B2 system fill out the sound and help the band better hear our own performance on this lager stage and fill the room sufficiently.  If yes, how far apart should the two systems be placed? 

2) Would renting an F1 812 plus F1 sub and using it with our T8s/L1 model II system work better? Or does the mixing the two systems create sonic anomalies.  If this can work how far apart should the 2 systems be placed 

3) Can we position the F1/sub behind the band like we do the Model II to avoid having monitors in front of the players or is this a recipe for feedback. (videos seem to show F1 systems used a FOH with monitors for vocalists)   Lots of questions and really looking forward to your response. 

thanks

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: Mixing L1 and F1 speakers for live performance

For initial reference, see this topic for good info on connecting two L1’s to a T8S.

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 29, 2019

Thanks.  We used that exact information to hook a second L1 to the T8s this weekend and it worked great.  I will await further responses to my other questions. Cheers.  

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

Just a suggestion... I'm not an audio expert but I have mixed-and-matched different systems to form one a few times. I've no idea what it costs to hire PA equipment in your part of the world but in the UK it would be a case of, "If I've go to hire it more than twice I'd be better off buying it". With that thought in mind, have you considered buying another 'budget' PA system?

Stay away from digital and or bluetooth/wireless as this will introduce latency. Just get a couple of PA speakers with integral analogue power amplifiers. Ideally with balanced input but that's not typically essential at line level.

Then your current setup stays exactly as it is, the extra pair of speakers go out front left and right. You won't even hear them on stage but they will help fill the venue and distribute the sound better and than one sound source.

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 29, 2019

Thanks for this.  I also own two JBL 15" EON powered speakers.  Are you suggesting I chain them on one output of the T8s and use them L/R FOH and use the other output for the L1 behind the band as an overall monitor? 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 3, 2018

I use my L1M2 W/B2 as a stage monitor and two F1's as mains positioned in front of the band. All you really have to be concerned about is the levels in the mains, plenty of room fill. I use my T8 and if needed my T1 slaved to the T8 for more inputs for mic drums mainly

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 27, 2019

'Yes' that is exactly what I was suggesting. Use the L1 and T8 exactly as you normally do, its your fold-back/monitor system but also (normally) your main PA. Add the JBL's to support it and increase the volume of your sound.

You'll no doubt have to do some running around the venue to sound-check. If it were I... I would play some recorded music (unless you're all wireless), pick a band with a similar genre to yourselves or use your own recordings if you have them. While that's playing, go to back left of the venue and listen while your pal winds up the gain on the left JBL, then when you think you can hear it slightly above the L1... turn it down a little such it sounds one-in-the-same. Then turn it off and repeat the process on the right. Then switch the left JBL back on and I'd bet you'll be good to go.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi h2ostreet,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.  Thanks for the interesting question.

h2oStreet posted:

Our 4 piece band has a theatre gig coming up max 350 but bleacher seating and a very high ceiling.  We own an L1 model II with B2 bass that works for small club performances (drums/bass/guitar/keys/3vocals through a T8s TM mixer and love the fact we no longer need monitors!!!

It's great isn't it.

We feel we need a little more sound reinforcement for this hall. In our area only L1 model I's and F1's are available to rent.  So here are my questions

We need some more information about the bleacher seating to give you an informed answer.

1) Will a rented L1 Model 1 with B2 bass with our own T8s/model II/B2 system fill out the sound and help the band better hear our own performance on this lager stage and fill the room sufficiently.  If yes, how far apart should the two systems be placed? 

It depends on the answers to the questions in the sketch above.

2) Would renting an F1 812 plus F1 sub and using it with our T8s/L1 model II system work better? Or does the mixing the two systems create sonic anomalies.  If this can work how far apart should the 2 systems be placed 

If there will be people seated above the top of the L1 Model II, you would be better served by renting a couple of F1 Model 812 systems.

You can use your L1 Model II as your stage monitor and the F1 Model 812  systems for the front of house system.

Please tell us about your music.  How vocals, and what instruments do you have in your band? What style of music are you performing. What is the audience doing while you perform? (listening attentively, singing along, or ...)

This will help us figure out if you need F1 subwoofers.

3) Can we position the F1/sub behind the band like we do the Model II to avoid having monitors in front of the players or is this a recipe for feedback. (videos seem to show F1 systems used a FOH with monitors for vocalists)   Lots of questions and really looking forward to your response. 

This depends on the number of open microphones and instruments you are putting through the system, but for a band Bose recommends using putting the F1 Model 812 systems at the front of the stage (instead of behind you). This means you will use the L1 Model II on the stage, behind you for monitoring.

thanks

Nice to meet you,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 29, 2019

Cowboy Upp posted:

I use my L1M2 W/B2 as a stage monitor and two F1's as mains positioned in front of the band. All you really have to be concerned about is the levels in the mains, plenty of room fill. I use my T8 and if needed my T1 slaved to the T8 for more inputs for mic drums mainly

I am new to my T8s.  Do you chain the two F1s using one of the outputs on the T8 and use the other output for the L1M2/B2 (monitor) as normal? thanks for this!  

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 3, 2018

This seems a great idea.  Basically it means that you can cover virtually any venue situation by adding a FOH element into the normal back-of-stage/foldback/PA system arrangement afforded by the L1M2.  If I'm right, a particular benefit would be that when the volume level of the back-of-stage system becomes limited by mic feedback, the FOH element will enable a higher volume level to be projected forwards without disturbing the on-stage balance.  Sounds like the answer to a prayer.

We use a Dynachord Powermate mixer with two L1M2+B2 systems, so we do not require a Tonematch unit.  Am I correct in thinking that a powered FOH speaker could be connected directly to each L1M2 power stand, or would it be better to take the necessary output from the mixer?

Thanks.