Mobile DJ use - signal clipping and distorted bass
Hello Bose Community,
I'm a hobbyist mobile DJ, mostly playing at house parties, villas, sailing boats and afterparties of tech conferences around Amsterdam. The music is bass-heavy, e.g. techno, many kinds of house etc. I'm using Traktor Kontrol Z1 as my mixer interface, running audio from my laptop, mixed in Traktor Pro 3. My secondary interface is Traktor Audio 2.
I've been owning Bose S1 Pro system for almost 6 months now, and I enjoy using it for practice sessions at home and small parties. This is when my Master level at Z1 is far from high, e.g. set at 10 o'clock on Z1, channel indicator on S1 Pro is always green. However, when taken into outside setting of a party outdoors I've been repeatedly struggling to find a well sounding setup for S1 Pro with sufficient output volume.
The configuration options I tried so far are:
- Traktor Kontrol Z1 -> 2x RCA to 3.5mm mini-jack cable (5m) -> S1 Pro Channel 3 (AUX)
- Traktor Kontrol Z1 -> 2x RCA to XLR male cable (3m) -> S1 Pro Channel 1 (https://www.bax-shop.nl/xlr-rc...product-details.html)
- Traktor Audio 2 -> 3.5mm mini-jack to 3.5mm mini-jack cable -> S1 Pro Channel 3 (AUX)
In all these configurations I would leave volume controls on S1 Pro at 12 o'clock and not touch any of the EQ or ToneMatch knobs. I also tried all 3 positions for S1 Pro (incl. speaker stand). I tried mostly battery-powered use, bcs. at home with power I can do with much lower volume.
No matter what I do - I arrive at signal clipping (red blinking at corresponding Channel, variable frequency) and/or obviously distorted bass. I tried playing with input levels (bringing down the Master from Z1 and/or reducing Input Gain from tracks played by Traktor), but this inevitably leads to a lower volume (although no clipping). When I try to compensate for it (by raising Master in Traktor or turning Channel level at S1 Pro to 2 o'clock) - here comes clipping and distortion again.
I've also tried playing some of the tunes from iPhone into S1 Pro via Bluetooth - similar effect when iPhone volume is max and S1 Pro is 12 o'clock).
The hypothesis I have so far are:
- A) I'm doing smth wrong with Gain-Master out-Channel level chain, although I'm not sure what (and I haven't had such problems when connecting to Rokit or Yamaha monitor speakers)
- B) I'm using wrong cable, the only combo I haven't yet tried is 2x RCA to 6.3 mini jack (3m)
- C) 2x RCA output at Z1 is no good for any inputs that S1 supports, e.g. "buy a real mixer" (but then 1 lose "no power socket" use case)
- D) S1 Pro does it's best, but it's more tuned to guitar/vocal stuff and I'm expecting to much from it in terms of powering outdoor parties
Any advice would be highly appreciated. I can record videos demonstrating clipping/distortion if necessary