Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 10, 2009

Model 1 No Longer Serviceable - Options?

One of my L1 Model 1's failed recently - I believe the PS1 power supply to be the issue as a quick search reveals this seems to be a common problem, at least with the earlier generation models.

After a brief discussion with Bose support, I must say I'm disappointed to learn the Model 1 is "no longer repairable".  I was advised of an "exchange" course of action for a Model 2 in a "worst case scenario".

As the primary use for my L1's have been for mobile DJ applications, I have some concerns about introducing the Model 2 into my setup across from a Model 1. I've received feedback that while the Model 2 is well suited for live music application, it may not measure up to the Model 1 in a DJ setting.

Are there truly no options for Model 1 owners looking to have a unit repaired (especially considering the commonality of the issue)? This must have been a relatively recent development as a colleague of mine had the same problem and was able to send his in to be looked at. Though Bose could not fix it, he was offered a replacement - the customer service I would expect from a premium brand.

Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2012

Re: Model 1 No Longer Serviceable - Options?

Hi, 

Yes, unfortunately the L1 classics are no longer serviceable.

I can offer the the model II with a B2 module, or even two B1 modules is a better performer than the L1 classic.  

The model II is easier to transport, and although I believe there is a slight difference in horizontal dispersion [ i think 180 vs 170 degrees from classic to model ii], I have not noticed any real difference.

We use the L1 systems primarily for live music performance, but we do offer Live DJ during the band intermission where we play top 40/pop music and our customer base have been quite satisfied with the performance.

If you're coming off of L1 model 1's for DJ work, the model II will not be a degradation.

As an aside, although a replacement for a unit that cannot be repaired would seem ideal, I can understand the rationale from Bose.  My unit is over 10 years old, and has well over 7000 [yes seven thousand] hours of use on it.  I think a model ii at a heavily discounted price is a fair offering from Bose.  My classic is still working, but I most likely will take advantage of the model ii exchange in the new year.

Hope this helps.

Roger

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 10, 2009

Thanks, Roger.  I will have to make a decision quickly as I have a gig approaching in a couple weeks, but in all of likelihood I will be opting for the Model 2 with the trade-in of my busted Model 1.

Now I'll just have to figure out the best way to pair the Model 2 (without tonematch, at least for now) with my functioning Model 1.

RG

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi RG,

First - a shout out to Roger for offering his great insights.

RG posted:

Thanks, Roger.  I will have to make a decision quickly as I have a gig approaching in a couple weeks, but in all of likelihood I will be opting for the Model 2 with the trade-in of my busted Model 1.

I've had all the models over the years and from personal experience, I'm hard pressed to think of an application where I would choose a Model I over a Model II.  The horizontal dispersion of the mid and high frequencies is wider with the Model II than the Model I.  

Now I'll just have to figure out the best way to pair the Model 2 (without tonematch, at least for now) with my functioning Model 1.

RG

Please tell us about your sound source (DJ mixer or ...) and a link to the owners guide if you can.  I'll be happy to make some suggestions about how to pair the Model II with the Model I.   Do you run stereo or mono?

EDIT: Hi RG, please join me in your new discussion,

L1 Model 1 and L1 Model 2 Setup?

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 15, 2005

My L1 Classic & my L1/M1 both failed within the last few years. I found no options for repair on either unit. The first was replaced with a L1/M2 refurbished unit for reduced price. The Second was replaced with a brand new L1/M2 unit at a discounted price (the replacement of the older of the two costing slightly more).  I have been using both L1/M2's for live shows for a couple years and they sound fine. Even though the Classics (and maybe the L1/M1) were 750W, and the newer models are 500W, I have had no problems with volume or coverage. The M2's have offset speakers for more uniform coverage also. So even though I would have preferred not to have to re-purchase the newer units, the price break seemed fair for the upgrades. The older models also had way more connectivity options in the Power Base, since the M2's are made to be used with the T1 Mixer. Oh well, we've moved on and so far, so good.