Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Re: My Experience so far

quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
There are bad bands ......
If you walk into a club and see one playing it means only one thing.

They are working and you are not.
Ask yourself Why?

This is a whole nother subject, and it is probably not "only one thing".

I've been watching from the sidelines not really wanting to comment but let me rant a minute on the new subject.

A friend came by the other evening. He had stopped in a local Applebees because he heard they had live music. He's a bit of a player and thought he might inquire about a gig. It pays $75 for a three hour gig. You either have to be starving or have no pride, to work for that kind of money in a popular and busy place like Applebees. Heck this is 2010, beer is $3 a glass.

I know a club manager in Lexington who gets college students to play for free. Who wants to compete with that.

I have seen excellent musician / singers work their tail off trying to please a crowd and get no response, then let a drunk girl sing off key and the audience goes crazy with applause. Of course she's back the next night because the audience said she was good.

When I started doing solo work back in the late 60's not everybody believed they were going to be the next big thing, now everybody thinks they have the chops to make it. It's a crazy business.

In the late 70's, playing 5 nights a week, mostly local, I made $45,000 to $70,000 a year. You can't do that now because there are too many Bad performers willing to work for cheap.

I think a big factor is the audience and management in many venues is not very discriminating. If the music is loud and resembles something they heard on the radio, then it must be OK. The audience wouldn't know if the guitar was in tune with the track or playing the same chords if it was written down in front of them. I see it every Sunday in the Church I attend. A gentleman (it's a Church I have to be polite) who thinks he is a great guitarist wants to sit in with any and all singers, without asking, with no rehearsal, and most times he's out of tune, being a Church I guess no one wants to hurt feelings. Eventually I may be the one who does.

This world needs more Simon Cowells.

Rant over.

O..
christidestrom
Registered since

May 6, 2009

Bless you, brother Roy Smile
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Chris,

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTidestrom:
GROUP HUG!!!

Come on people, this is the never ending discussion... and it really leads nowhere because no one is right and no one is wrong. All it does, is stir up bad feelings. Maybe we could flag this whole conversation? Join one of the flame wars on craigslist instead.

It's like this:
Some performers use backing tracks. Some performers don't. End of story.

If you are concerned about a discussion you can post your thoughts by clicking the Help icon at the bottom right of a post. Your comments will be directed privately to Bose for special attention. That's the closest thing we have to 'flagging' in this community.

From what I can see, this thread contains people speaking respectfully, in the first person, about their own experiences and perceptions.

It's okay if we aren't all on the same side of an issue or idea.
christidestrom
Registered since

May 6, 2009

ST, you are right.
I felt it was getting a little heated, but not enough to flag it.

BROTHERS-IN-BOSE!
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

I guess I started this. About twice a year it seems this comes up and has nothing to do with the Bose System. It is personal to me. I work hard at what I do. Sorry to all of you, but.... I can't let things like this slide by. Roy Smile
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by Oldghm:
quote:
Originally posted by Roy:
There are bad bands ......
If you walk into a club and see one playing it means only one thing.

They are working and you are not.
Ask yourself Why?

This is a whole nother subject, and it is probably not "only one thing".

I've been watching from the sidelines not really wanting to comment but let me rant a minute on the new subject.

A friend came by the other evening. He had stopped in a local Applebees because he heard they had live music. He's a bit of a player and thought he might inquire about a gig. It pays $75 for a three hour gig. You either have to be starving or have no pride, to work for that kind of money in a popular and busy place like Applebees. Heck this is 2010, beer is $3 a glass.

I know a club manager in Lexington who gets college students to play for free. Who wants to compete with that.

I have seen excellent musician / singers work their tail off trying to please a crowd and get no response, then let a drunk girl sing off key and the audience goes crazy with applause. Of course she's back the next night because the audience said she was good.

When I started doing solo work back in the late 60's not everybody believed they were going to be the next big thing, now everybody thinks they have the chops to make it. It's a crazy business.

In the late 70's, playing 5 nights a week, mostly local, I made $45,000 to $70,000 a year. You can't do that now because there are too many Bad performers willing to work for cheap.

I think a big factor is the audience and management in many venues is not very discriminating. If the music is loud and resembles something they heard on the radio, then it must be OK. The audience wouldn't know if the guitar was in tune with the track or playing the same chords if it was written down in front of them. I see it every Sunday in the Church I attend. A gentleman (it's a Church I have to be polite) who thinks he is a great guitarist wants to sit in with any and all singers, without asking, with no rehearsal, and most times he's out of tune, being a Church I guess no one wants to hurt feelings. Eventually I may be the one who does.

This world needs more Simon Cowells.

Rant over.

O..

I know I'm the late dog in this but I have to comment..nay thank several people. First, the post I'm quoting gets my vote for post of the year. You summed up my musicial life over the last 20 years. Thanks also to Chris and Roy for their usual spot on words.
Kinda on topic here : Last night in my little burg we have a "First friday" event on the streets of our old downtown and a local music shop owner and old friend asked me if I wanted to come down and play in front of his shop and that he would set up a table and I could sell CD's and such while I played.

He set up some type of Peavey head and a big ol speaker on a pole, I didn't even look at the brand. My friend played bass, and halfway thru the first song the PA head went ka-poey...just died. My van was parked right in front of the shop so I said hold on I'll grab my Bose.
He said "aw that'll take too long"...I said "watch this" Smile as he had never seen a Bose being set up.

Ok, ok the point. First, the Bose sounded like a million euros outside on a cool evening with an acoustic guitar and a bass. The problem was my friend, in spite of being a bass player since days of yore, he was playing lead on his bass and was way much louder than me, and because I play mostly original tunes, he didn't know them and really made a mess. I finally had to say "I love you bro, but you gotta hold up if you don't know the song". He didn't take offence and he needed to go back in the shop anyway to see to customers.

yep, sometimes ya gotta be Simon.

thanks everybody

Leo

Also
Litesnsirens
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 12, 2010

I think sometimes as musicians we are almost a little bit cursed when it comes to the enjoyment of music. I often wonder what it would be like to listen to music without the knowledge and ear that I have attained over the years. To just listen to the song without my brain picking apart the production etc. I'm not saying picking it apart to criticize, but even just noticing and wondering how they got certain sounds. What non-musician does that. They all just listen and like or don't like. I wonder if they listen to the song as a whole and just dig the vibe in a way that we can't. That could explain why a crowd sometimes enjoys stuff that we don't think they should. Probably explains why some bands with little to no talent get record deals and bands that we have seen in a little club that give you goosebumps they are so good never get anywhere. After going through years with the attitude that if a song or a band wasn't musically sound, that it didn't deserve recognition, I came to believe that if people out there get something out of it, it's valid.
Personally I'm not a rap fan, not into the ripping of samples from other songs to make new songs. Maybe it's a musician's perspective or just me. But these acts are making millions, so there must be lots of people out there getting something out of it, therefore it's valid, even if I don't enjoy it. All I can say is whatever it is, it's all gonna sound better coming out of a Bose system.
Tom Munch
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

I like this discussion and think we can uncover some good stuff if we continue respectfully. Keep it going, brothers!
PMWIZARD
Participant
Registered since

Dec 8, 2006

I was in Florida with my wife going on a cruise the next day. At the place we went to eat was a guy playing guitar with backing tracks. He did a nice job using the backing tracks.

When he went on break, I went up and talked to him on what tracks he was using and if he ever considered getting a bose system. His reply was YES after the first of the year. The point being, we had to sit inside to eat because the place was full. Which meant that he was not driving people away using backing tracks.