Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Need help with wireless

Hi folks. I have two L1 Model II systems. I also have a very high quality Sennheiser EW300 G2 wireless system. I decided to try out the L1 system using wireless for things like cocktail hours, etc. I connected the AUX output on my T1 to my Sennheiser system using a 1/4" TRS to male XLR cable. On the remote system I connected my Sennheiser receiver to the L1 using a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" TRS cable.

The problem is that I am getting a lot of hiss when the Sennheiser receiver is turned on. I checked that maximum signal before peaking is being sent to the Sennheiser system from the T1 and I checked that I had a strong wireless signal.

I tried connecting the Main output to the system instead of the AUX output. The result was a little better but not that much. Using the MAIN output, however, is not what I want to do since I need to be able to have my reception system off (or at least the volume off) and be running the remote system alone. I can't do that using the MAIN output without turning off the reception system completely and using a auxiliary power supply for the T1. This is not optimal.

Looking for any guidance, suggestions, etc. to try. Don't know why all that hiss. My Sennheiser receiver has brand new batteries in it and it has never caused hiss in the past.

Can anyone help me figure this out. All of my gear is very high end. I should not have to deal with hiss in the system.

Thanks ........... Rob

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Need help with wireless

Hi Rob,

Edit: If my next post doesn't have the correct picture of the receiver - please give us a link to the owner's manual for the receiver.

I found this EM 300 Manual but the unit does not have a 1/8" output.

EBDS posted:

On the remote system I connected my Sennheiser receiver to the L1 using a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" TRS cable.

Is this an In-Ear Monitor system? If so, you may need to use a 1/8 inch mono to 1/4 inch mono cable.
ST
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Rob,

If the receiver looks like this:

Click the picture to see the document where I got it.

The problem is using a stereo cable for the connection from the receiver. One end (or both) of the cable must be Tip-Sleeve.   Otherwise, you're running a STEREO output into a balanced MONO input.  This rarely works.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

that is the correct unit. But I thought Bose recommends to use all balanced cables? It's actually working better now. I had some RF interference on the frequency I was using. Not a lot but some. It's much better now, using the same cable. While the Sennheiser system is a stereo system, I was only hooked into one channel so only one channel was broadcasting to the receiver. I seem to have the signal to noise ratio down to an acceptable level where you can't hear the hiss once the music is going. Not perfect but much better. I will have to order a mono 1/8" to 1/4" cable top try that. I don't have one in the house. Thanks for the feedback.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Rob,

EBDS posted:

that is the correct unit. But I thought Bose recommends to use all balanced cables?

Yes, when both ends of the connection are balanced. But if one end is stereo and the other end is mono - balanced, that rarely works. 

Read Balanced vs Unbalanced for the technical details.

It's actually working better now. I had some RF interference on the frequency I was using. Not a lot but some. It's much better now, using the same cable.

While the Sennheiser system is a stereo system, I was only hooked into one channel so only one channel was broadcasting to the receiver.

If you connect the headphones, do you hear sound from both ears? If so, you are likely getting some cancellation of the two signals which will raise the noise floor considerably.

I seem to have the signal to noise ratio down to an acceptable level where you can't hear the hiss once the music is going. Not perfect but much better. I will have to order a mono 1/8" to 1/4" cable top try that. I don't have one in the house. Thanks for the feedback.

You can try this:

1. Turn down the Model II Power Stand  Analog input trim to zero.
  2. Insert the 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve jack half-way in to the Model II Power Stand  Analog input. Stop at the first click instead of pushing the jack all the way in.
  3. Turn up the Model II Power Stand  Analog Input trim.
  4. Is the sound better?

If this improves the sound then get that new 1/8 inch Tip-Sleeve  to 1/4 inch Tip-Sleeve cable.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Hi all. I want to give a great big thanks for all the feedback ST. You nailed it. I did that test and no hiss whatsoever when the jack was only half way in. I've already ordered the correct cable. Will have it Friday (good old Amazon). Thanks again. I learned some new stuff about the difference between stereo and balanced.

Rob

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Rob,

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know we've tracked down the source of the problem.

ST