Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Limbo1
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

New Vs Used L1

I am thinking of buying a used L1M2B2 system.  Other then the obvious blown speakers, sub, or cosmetics, are there other things I need to look out for? Speaking of speakers or drivers, how do I check the quality of the 24 speakers in the lower and upper column?  Thanks to all for a great active forum.

5 REPLIES 5
Holy_Jalapeno
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 18, 2019

Re: New Vs Used L1

I recommend buying what you can afford. I have not seen them much cheaper used but if you find something and it sounds good I'd buy it. But do test it out. ¸.•*¨*•??

CityFolk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Agree with @Holy Jalapeno it seems that Bose L1s hold their value in the used market. Besides testing out the sound, I would look for signs of extreme use. If it looks like it’s been through the ringer, I would be a bit hesitant. I would try to get an idea of its usage context. FOr example, was it used by a small acoustic group or a full size electric band with bass and drums that might push the limits of the unit?

Having said all that, we bought a shopworn L1 Classic from Guitar Center many, many years ago and it performed well and lasted a very long time. 

Willy_Martin
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 13, 2018

I would say, yes, they do hold their value BUT still, you can find used units for way cheaper than brand new.  I researched (forever) and finally found a used system in excellent condition from GC.  I did return the first used unit i purchased from them because they listed it at "excellent" but it had scuffs and dents.  (GC allows 45 days to return, no questions asked)..  I did buy everything used and all separately..  L1 M2, B2 and a B1 (for small venues when i didn't need or want to carry the B2).  My T8S was purchased brand new though.   So, i wouldn't be afraid to purchase used (as long as you can return it if you don't like) and you will save $ if you are patient.  (As an aside, I also bought the S1 pro to use as a monitor and can't believe how often i use that unit and leave the L1 M2 home!)

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Limbo,

Limbo posted:

I am thinking of buying a used L1M2B2 system.  Other then the obvious blown speakers, sub, or cosmetics, are there other things I need to look out for? Speaking of speakers or drivers, how do I check the quality of the 24 speakers in the lower and upper column?  Thanks to all for a great active forum.

We have an article.

Preowned L1 Model II Considerations

Check it out!

ST

Limbo1
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

Very useful - thanks!