Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Notching out feedback:

I’m having a problem with a high frequency feed back at gigs.  I’m using a L1 model II with a T8S (love it!). I have the instructions for using the Para EQ to attempt to notch out the frequency but I obviously can’t do this at a gig with people present. I’ve tried cutting back Highs on each mike channel as well as on reverb but this hasn’t solved the problem. I’ve also tilted the mikes up (we have 3 EV 967 mikes). 

My question is this: is there a frequency range that is usually the culprit for very high pitched feed back that I could cut out ahead of time that might help elevate this?

thanks,

John

12 REPLIES 12
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Re: Notching out feedback:

Are you using Backing Trax

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi John,

Thanks for this interesting question.

John F posted:

I’m having a problem with a high frequency feed back at gigs.  I’m using a L1 model II with a T8S (love it!). I have the instructions for using the Para EQ to attempt to notch out the frequency but I obviously can’t do this at a gig with people present. I’ve tried cutting back Highs on each mike channel as well as on reverb but this hasn’t solved the problem. I’ve also tilted the mikes up (we have 3 EV 967 mikes). 

It sounds like you've read this article.

Microphone Feedback 

If not, check it out. There are a few more ideas you didn't mention.

My question is this: is there a frequency range that is usually the culprit for very high pitched feed back that I could cut out ahead of time that might help elevate this?

The frequencies at which you experience feedback may vary from room to room. 

Try doing a sound-check before there are people present. Turn things up to gig volume and beyond to get feedback. Then use the ParaEQ  to notch them out.

When people arrive, the acoustics will change, but I expect that bodies will absorb some of the problematic frequencies.  That won't make the system more prone to feedback, unless you turn up louder than your sound check,

thanks,

John

Does that help?
ST

Registered since

Dec 26, 2018

I’ve personally have had to cut around the 4-5k range. A lot. Closer to 4k. Can’t remember the width. I’m still guilty of trying to get conventional speaker performance out of my L1S. After many years of using such, along with considerable hearing loss in one ear, it’s a hard if not impossible habit to break. Nevertheless, I get nothing but raving compliments from our audiences. 

Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

It’s not possible to set up without people present in the majority of our gigs. We perform primarily in restaurant/bars and there are always people present.  That’s the problem.  I’ll try cutting in the 4-5k range as suggested above.

thanks

John F

Registered since

Apr 13, 2018

Hi good discussion

I use an app called Advanced audio spectrum analyzer - I think its only available for android devices but I`m sure there are others out there that work equally as well

so if I have the program open and a frequency starts squealing - eg 6.5- it will tell me that on the analyzer . I then simply go to my TS8 para eq find the frequency at 6.5 and notch it out as need be

no guess work 

hope that helps 

cheers 

Jerome

Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Interesting.  If I can get to a situation where there are no people present I’ll give it a shot.

thanks for the tip

John

Registered since

Nov 18, 2006

I purchased a DBX goRack a couple of years ago and that little doodad works well.  I think I paid $29 but has since been discontinued.

You could put one between your T8 and LII and let their processing find and filter bad freqs.  It does come down to having the best mics (big fan of Audix OM-5), good technique and minimizing open mics when you can.

Good luck, James

Registered since

Mar 12, 2019

Wow that would be fantastic.  So, basically when it senses feed back, it automatically eliminates it? It doesn’t muddy up the other frequencies?

That would be ideal

John F

Registered since

Nov 18, 2006

It could but there are lots of settings including the number of filters you set. You'll be buying used and paying current market. I have no plans to sell mine anytime soon.