idahodjcom
Registered since

Jan 29, 2010

Now posting short vids of shows

I have started to make short 2 minute videos from my shows and have been posting them on my DJ FB page. This is the promo vid I made in like 20 minutes, just goofing around. Now to re-design my web page and include my short vids on there too.

http://www.facebook.com/video/....php?v=1758611407097

I know its far from a professional production, but I was just making something with my new pic program....
20 REPLIES 20
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Re: Now posting short vids of shows

I have been using Animoto for video slideshows we present at weddings and events and I am currently working on doing some more elaborate videos with Sony Vegas. I plan to use them on my blog.

In addition, I am planning to video myself discussing wedding topics and what we do for our clients.

Better, I think, than long text and it allows one to demonstrate one’s ability to deliver what one offers.
idahodjcom
Registered since

Jan 29, 2010

Lou,
I tried Animoto, but like ProShow Gold by Photodex as it does SOOO much and you have so much control over your photos/videos. Also if you want to make a quick video/show, the wizard is amazing and works like Animoto (pick pictures/videos, pick music, create)
I like to make these little vids and put them on a CD for the client after the event with the original pictures. This increases the odds for me to get my 'review' that I send.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi IdahoDJ.com

Short and sweet. Even shorter would work for me. That's not a reflection on your techical prowess. I think that media should tell a story and by the one minute mark, it felt like you had said all that you were going to say.

On a related matter: Long videos of a single event.
Longer videos of someone else's private events leave me feeling uncomfortable; as though I had crashed the party.

Personally: I would not hire a DJ who was going to post video of my event on the internet to promote his/her business.

I understand that some people have no compunction about this, and that some people will gladly give their permission for their images to be used this way. But unless there is a statement (published with the video) that the individuals in the videos gave their consent to have their image used in this way, my concern is that they have not.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

ST,

You make an excellent point on the short and sweet thing.

My contract explicitly states we may use photos and images for promotional purposes.

I have never had a B&G say no. In fact, the trend is to get your wedding published in a magazine or web site. Style me pretty (link below) is an excellent example of what, almost every bride wants. I guess they have been planning for this day for most of their life and spent a bunch so why not show everyone how well their plans turned out. It’s an interesting trend, to say the least.
Style Me Pretty
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Lou,

Does the Bride and Groom's permission automatically give you releases for their guests (and much more apalling to me), their children?
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

Good question...
We need a lawyer or perhaps Cap would know the definitive answer but IMEO (E for Educated)…

When you attend a sporting event, concert, a circus or a wedding with your kid, do photographers at those events have to get you to sign a waver. I think not. In every case, the expectation of being photographed is under stood. If you tell the person hosting the event (in writing), photos of your child are not to be shared outside the immediate family, then you might have a legal beef.

I respectfully do not understand your concern of having the ring bearer or flower girl’s photo seen on line. A predator has no idea who that child is or how to contact them. In my 30 years as a cop, I have never seen nor heard of a child predator locating and then assaulting a child he first saw in a wedding photo or video.
idahodjcom
Registered since

Jan 29, 2010

Wow,

Didn't mean to start a debate.

ST- I too think shorter would be better. You make some good points, ones that I haven't thought of. I put them up so guests from the events could see them. I may have to rethink posting them.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

If it sounded like I'm coming on strong, that was not my intention and I hope ST understands. If any offense was taken or feelings bruised, please accept my apology.

If you are using images of your clients without their consent you could get some blowback. Just send them an email asking if it’s ok to CYA. In the future add that to your contract. After the wedding is over, it can be difficult to run them down to sign a release.

This is how mine reads…
The client hereby authorizes Celestial Event the use of video or photos taken at the event for promotional purposes on the Celestial Event web site and/or on printed materials. The Client may withdraw this right, at any time, by stating so in an email addressed to **** or written letter addressed to ****.
Oldghm
Leader
Registered since

May 25, 2004

Interesting conversation.

Weddings are not usually public events and in my mind would not be governed by the same rules as a sporting event, concert, circus, or city street, ect.

I recently attended my sons wedding and was disappointed when my picture showed up on facebook. As father of the groom I don't suppose I can complain but if they had asked, I would have said no.

O..