mrdjw
Registered since

Sep 28, 2009

Oh How I LOVE my L1 Compacts

I started looking for some new speakers about a month ago, and stumbled onto the Compacts.

I have not been happy with my current setup (I work for a DJ company), and wanted something lighter, and better sounding.

I called my local BOSE store, and found out they had a Compact on the floor I could come up and check out.

The wife and I loaded up my ipod, and made a visit. They had the Compact outside the doorway to the store (in a fairly large outdoor Mall). I plugged my ipod in, and tried several different types of music.

The sound was incredible, obviously. As I was listening from across the mall, the salesperson indicated that the Compact was on "2". I asked her to turn it to "3". What a difference!

Anyway, I ended up buying 2 of them, knowing that I was going to have at least 6 gigs to test them at before the 45 day trial was up.

So far, 4 events. One was a 350 wedding in a VERY large room, and even though I could hear the "cutoff" people talk about on the Compacts, the sound was still traveling quite well to the back of the room! And the announcements and toasts are SOOOO much clearer, you can actually understand what I or the toasters are saying!

I have used the Compacts outside, in small rooms and large rooms so far, and I have walked around each venue and listened from several different distances and although the sound is "different" (more on that in a moment), the Compacts still fill each space with wonderful sound!

How is the sound "different"? When we were testing the Compacts I was concerned about the bass, and fullness of the sound. I think my wife put it the best. "I am not getting blown ever by the bass, but I hear it, and it sounds great".

I have had nothing but compliments on the sounds I have been putting out so far.

All these events have been weddings, ranging from 75 people to 350. I do about 2 a weekend, so these 2 Compact's have been getting a bit of a workout.

I love the setup ease, and my back is LOVING the weight of them!.

Best decision I have ever made was investing in these babies!

Now I just have to decide if at T1 is going to help much.

Any thoughts from other DJ's using a T1?

Just thought I would add my $.02 on the Compacts!

Edit L1C ? Compact
- System Naming
12 REPLIES 12
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

Re: Oh How I LOVE my L1 Compacts

Mr. DJW,
Welcome to "Club Bose"!

I too am amazed by the L1 compacts. Great, great product.

I think you will LOVE the T1, especially if you use a computer. The T1, among other things, is the best sound card I have ever used.

Plus, great mic effects, backlit buttons, small compact sized mixer. It's the perfect mixer for a wedding DJ like me.
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

Love my T1 like a fat kid loves cake.
mrdjw
Registered since

Sep 28, 2009

I am wondering how hard it is to configure the T1 given that I would just be playing songs through it, not an instrument.

quote:
Originally posted by Packman:
Love my T1 like a fat kid loves cake.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Mr. DJW

What is your sound source?
Computer?
iPOD?
Something else? (Details would really help).

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. DJW:
I am wondering how hard it is to configure the T1 given that I would just be playing songs through it, not an instrument.
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

quote:

For me, it was extremely easy. I use a computer to DJ with.

I simply connected the computer to the T1, told the T1 that I wanted channel 4/5 to control the volume for the computer, told my DJ software to use the Bose as the the sound card, and told the T1 to use the DJ/Playback "scene" that was already programmed in it.

I only had to do that once and now it's like that every time I turn those things on
mrdjw
Registered since

Sep 28, 2009

I am running a laptop with a ESI 4 channel usb sound card into an external mixer.

I am curious as to how the mixing capabilities are on the T1. Is it possible or better yet, easy to fade one channel out as you fade the other channel in?

Thanks in advance!

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi Mr. DJW

Computer?
iPOD?

quote:
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Mr. DJW,

Thanks for this added detail. This is outside my experience so I'm going to step back and see what the DJs have to say.

quote:
I am running a laptop with a ESI 4 channel usb sound card into an external mixer.

I am curious as to how the mixing capabilities are on the T1. Is it possible or better yet, easy to fade one channel out as you fade the other channel in?

Thanks in advance!

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi Mr. DJW

Computer?
iPOD?

quote:
djdaver
Registered since

Jan 29, 2007

Mr. DJW,
I recently started using the Compacts (had Model I Classics) with the T1 and have no issues at all with using the T1.
I set up with two laptops, both using channels 4/5 on the T1. My main laptop uses the USB connection to the T1. For my backup laptop, I use a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound Card with a mini to dual 1/4" cable into channels 4/5 to the T1. So, no matter which laptop I use, I control the volume with the channel 4/5 knob. This now leaves me with three available channels and I use channels 1 & 2 on the T1 for microphones.
For software, I use Rockit Pro version 4.1 which will automatically fade between channels 1 & 2. Bottom line, it's been very easy for me to DJ with two laptops and the T1.

DJ Dave
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

quote:

Thanks in advance!

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi Mr. DJW

Computer?
iPOD?

quote:

I use OTS. Rockit is great software as well.

I don't really use the T1 for mixing. I do any mixing on the computer using the DJ software.
I don't have my back up computer plugged in(in case of a power surge)