Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyinmidlandtx
Registered since

Nov 24, 2005

Re: Ok, Who cares....

To answer the question.....I care!

As mentioned and experienced by others, the load in/out is easier although occassionally it takes longer for me because I like to take several minutes to decide where to place my baby's for both looks and best sound in the room. Sometimes it's too easy because I'll use just one tower and 2 B1's in a small room and then it's plop and play.

I'm 49 years old and always welcomed the excersize that comes with set-up and tear down.

I need it, but it was the harsh loudness of the conventional speakers and their usual placement gave me what I call garbage sound behind my table which I believe was affecting my hearing badly....tinnitus, ringing of the ears or just out right fatigue at the end of any event loud or otherwise....

I now look forward to every event because I enjoy the music just like the guests enjoy it because of the way the system projects the sound. I'm never exhausted at the end like I used to be.

The sound was getting to me in a bad way and I believe I might have quit altogether if I hadn't researched and purchased the Bose L1's 2 years ago.

I do wish more L1 owners would contact me to discuss and share experiences.

Now that business has picked up after the income tax checks have come in, it's a less depressing time!

Gary
Le5
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 22, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by open-road-matt:
There has been a great thread on the L1 on the Acoustic Guitar Forum recently spurring a lot of posts of "love the L1," a few posts of, "it doesn't work for me," and a very few posts of what I felt was downright anger toward Bose and the L1.

It was the posts of anger toward Bose and the L1 that had me curious. A few of us posted as how odd it is that a piece of equipment can inspire such love and hate. I understand the love part but the hate is a mystery to me.

I asked one fellow about it and he said something about Bose's marketing and promotions and how those "in the know" in the high end home stereo field have been mad at Bose for years.

Is that where this comes from? Are these emotions that have been around for a while and are transfered over to the L1. It seems so strange to me that people could be so filled with negative emotion over someone else using a piece of equipment. I am guessing there has to be something more behind this than the fact that the L1 is new and looks different.

Just curious,
Matt

Hi Matt,

You raise a very good question for which I'd like to speculate on some possible answers.

I think that for each person different issues come into play with regards to emotional responses. But overall, it may come down to self worth issues that most are not aware of. It is very common for us to actually care about what "others think" regarding ourselves or aspects of ourselves. When we associate an inert item, like a piece of equipment, to how we identify ourself as a person, consciously or subconsciously, we tend to personalize any bashing of that item. The same can happen when a competing piece of equipment is being praised.

Let's imagine that "Mark" owns a sound system that he uses professionally. Mark has carefully researched every aspect of it over time and tweaked it to "perfection". Mark is very proud of this achievement. Mark loves the attention his system gets. This system is essentially an extension of Mark, it is part of Mark's identity. When someone says "I like your system" Mark hears "I like you. You are an amazing person to have put this system together".

Now "Kram" (yes, I wrote my name that way as a child), the anti-Mark, comes along with his alien looking system and is getting a lot of attention. So why would Mark be upset? Perhaps Mark sees the positive attention Kram is getting as a negative towards his system: mine is better than yours. Mark had poured his heart into creating his system. Now, not one person but "many" are saying this "New System" is the absolute best! Does this imply that Mark was WRONG or that Mark failed to create the best system? Does it also imply that "Mark" is not the best.

If Mark's system is an extension of himself, a part of his identity, then Mark may feel that this "new system" is attacking the essence of who he is. That identity is likely to fight for its survival. If at some point someone sang the praises of the "new system" to Mark in a very enthusiastic, relentless and passionate way, it is possible that Mark may have felt attacked. Some time later someone mentions the "new system" within earshot of Mark and Mark comes out blasting the "new system" as if his own existence depended on it as the previous feelings (he experienced from the earlier "new system" praise incident) resurface.

Maybe some of us can relate to this when someone bashes the L1. DJs and musicians are usually very passionate about their craft. What we do is often an extension of our "selves". We often view comments, either good or bad, regarding one of our performances as comments about us.

Imagine for a moment that at the end of a performance someone comes up to you and says: "Wow, that was great"! How does that comment make you feel? Pretty good I would assume. Then the person adds: "I know this guy Kram and he has this cool sound system. It really rocks. I love his shows! You should check him out". So how do you feel now?? How you feel will depend on your perception of the meaning of the last comment. You may take it to mean that your show was great but it paled in comparison to Kram's. Or, your show was great but it won't improve unless you emulate Kram. Or how about: your show was so great that it reminded me of this other really great performer and I think it would be cool if you guys hooked up and this guy also has a cool sound system that's supports his performance really well...

I hope that perhaps these ramblings have offered some hints as to what may be behind the emotions that have been expressed regarding the subject at hand. With regards to Jeremy G's suggestion "I say everyone should stop fueling the fire with these other DJs on the Bose topic", I think that this is a valid point. Why is it so important for some of us the defend the L1 system's honour? Are we taking it personally? Are we going overboard in how we promote or defend the L1? Are we forgetting that it is OK for others to use other equipment? Has the L1 become an extension of ourselves?

This thread has made me ask myself a few questions. Is my time and energy best spent trying to change peoples opinions regarding the L1 or should I instead focus on my craft? Would it not better to direct my time and energy towards assisting those who are genuinely interested in the L1 and L1 owners who are seeking to enhance their L1 experience? Sometimes I have to remind myself that I get to choose where I focus my energy.

Thanks Jeremy G for raising this issue. I enjoyed exploring this subject.

I have to end this post as I have almost exhausted my word budget for the week! Wink I'll make an effort to be nicer to Mark when I meet him again. He's a nice guy and I'll try to remember that he put a lot of himself creating "his system". Oh, and in reality, Kram will always be a little kid...

Respectfully,
Tom Munch
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 30, 2004

Mark,

Great post! One of the best reads I've had in a long time.

Tom
Mike_in_Texas
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 15, 2003

Wow Mark!

Are you a Shrink, or just a deep thinker, or both? 🙂

Just kidding - very interesting analysis, probably right on the mark - uh, target, that is!

Mike
albanyams
Registered since

Mar 5, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by DJ Zac:
I only WISH that people around my area were so negative towards Bose! With Cap living right in my backyard, I have at least 15 other DJs using the L1 system...

Of course, there are 50 DJs listed just in the yellow pages, and who knows how many more working out there that you never hear about, so I guess 15 out of 200 to 300 isn't THAT bad!

(Cap, you can stop selling L1s in the Capital Region now! Wink )

That is funny..Not only do you have people buying the Bose, but they are not even charging more!! They too much to write 'bout this. Zac see you Wednesday at 3??
brianharris
Registered since

Oct 8, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy G.:
I see these topics on ProDJ.com with all the Bose hatttttteers. I say there's about 3-4 new threads a week.

One of the many reasons I'm not a member there.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy G.:
My point in bringing this up is "who cares what others think?". I say everyone should stop fueling the fire with these other DJs on the Bose topic.

When you fuel the fire, you are just using up quality energy that you could put towards something much more positive.

So next time you think about fueling the fire (on anything) take that energy and time and put it towards something positive for your business...

...like taking a photographer, videographer, venue manager, etc...out to lunch.

Networking = using your energy wisely.
karaokespotligh
Registered since

Feb 18, 2005

Anymore I try and stay out of anything that ends up being a matter of opinion but when they dogmaticly post stuff that totally contradicts your experience with 'em its hard to take it lieing down.

Sam
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

quote:
Originally posted by djgregb:
I actually don't want other DJs to like these speakers. Smile

The fact is that clients DO like them and currently I'm the only wedding guy in my area that uses them. I'd like keep it that way for as long as possible.

DITTO!!!