daveross
Registered since

Sep 7, 2009

One L1 Compact vs. Two

Looking for some advice.

I used to DJ quite a bit, about 10 years ago. Since getting a 9 to 5, I now only do about 2-3 gigs per year. I still have all my gear, and it's a MASSIVE setup.

When I heard the Compact (last week) in a Bose store, I fell in love and bought one.

One of the 3 standing gigs I have per year, is for about 40 people in a 1500 sq ft room...I think the Compact will work perfectly.

My only concern is the OTHER 2 standing gigs...

One is outside in a large park, covering about 10,000 sq ft with sound, and the other is in a 7000 sq ft room, for about 200 people.

The question is...will another Compact give me the volume level that I need to cover those other 2 gigs, or will I be forced to invest in a Model 2?

I am not too concerned with the lack of "thumping" bass that everyone talks about in this forum, since I have always erred on the side of "clarity" vs. "thump"...but I want to make sure that a 2nd Compact will do the job, and cover the whole area with sound, despite the "muffle" effect of all the bodies.

The main reason I stopped doing so many gigs, is because I got too old and tired to haul the big stuff around every weekend. If the 2 Compact 's will do the job, I will get back in the swing.

FYI, my plan is to run my MacBook Pro, using Disco XT software, into by Numark iDJ mixer, then into the Compact 's. I tried that setup in my living room with the ONE Compact and it blew my mind.

Will I get double the volume with 2? Or is the technology so different that 2 Compact 's does not double the volume, only the spacial coverage?

Thanks,

Dave

Edit L1c ? Compact
- System Naming
13 REPLIES 13
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: One L1 Compact vs. Two

Hi Dave Ross,

Congratulations on getting your Compact.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ross:
Will I get double the volume with 2? Or is the technology so different that 2 Compact 's does not double the volume, only the spacial coverage?

If you put two Compacts side by side running the same material you basically get 3 dB SPL more volume. That isn't much. You can hear it, but if you want to get double the perceived volume you need + 10 dB SPL to do that ².

BUT

If you put some distance between the Compacts you get more spacial coverage.

Now here's the interesting thing. If you double the volume from a single point you will get more coverage. To double the maximum possible volume of a Compact, you probably need a Model II. The people at Bose have told us that the Compact produces 6-9 dB less overall than a Model I or Model II ¹.

But if you can serve your audience by putting a second Compact at a distance then why not do it that way? What I mean is... does it matter if it your source (Model II) is twice as loud if you can serve your audience with two sources (Compacts) in two locations.

Whether or not this is feasible probably depends on the shape of the space you are trying to serve.

Footnotes and references:
¹
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-at-Bose:
The L1 Compact produces approximately 6-9 dB less overall output than that of the L1 model I or L1 model II system. This is directly attributed to the fact that the L1 Compacts loudspeaker array is only a fraction of the size, therefore sound drops off more quickly with distance than that of the L1 model or model II system. The horizontal coverage of all systems up close is very similiar.

²
quote:

Sound level or noise level - a physical quantity measured with instruments.
Loudness - a psycho-physical sensation perceived by the human ear/brain mechanism.
10 dB more level means double loudness are told us by the psychoacousticians.

source
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

Dave,
In my opinion, yes it would. I totally agree with ST that putting distance between the 2 would be best. I would consider a wireless connection so you can put some real distance between the 2
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

I've used just my compact with close to 200 people in a little smaller venue. It sounded great, got plenty of compliments and no complaints.
scotthanna
Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2006

quote:
Originally posted by Packman:
I've used just my compact with close to 200 people in a little smaller venue. It sounded great, got plenty of compliments and no complaints.

I am more and more amazed every time I use the L1 Compact!!
daveross
Registered since

Sep 7, 2009

Thanks to all for the great info.

I guess a simpler, and more "to the point" question would be...

Given the size of the venues that I have listed above, and the potential amount of people...

Would 2 L1C's do the job that I need?

Thanks,

Dave
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dave,

I think we need to know the dimensions of the space - or - the greatest distance between a listener and your L1® (s).

• If you say that 10,000 square feet is 100 x 100 square that is one thing.

I would expect you to get better coverage with a single Model II than two Compacts unless you put the Compacts facing one another 100 feet apart, centred. Or you could try pointing them in the same direction fifty feet apart running down the centre-line of the space.

• If you say that it is 200 feet x 50 feet.

You might do better two Compacts placed at 50 feet and 150 feet along the long dimension.

You could put a Model II at the 100 foot mark and get similar coverage

Can you tell us something about the size or shape or preferably the dimensions of the spaces you are considering?

Note: One thing the Model II does better than the Compact ... The Model II does not have to be as loud up close to reach a greater distance. In other words you can probably hear both a Compact and Model II outdoors at 100 feet. But at 10 feet, the Model II will not have to be as loud. Would that matter to you in those large outdoor events?

And here's another thought. Could you rent a second L1® for those really big events?
djernie
Registered since

Jun 17, 2009

i use my 2 compact indoor and outdoor with 50% volume and im always more than satsfied and all my clients are happy with the sound and clarity of compact. i don't use T1
jdbassentertain
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

The compact is an amazing unit, but very limited in terms of volume & bass output. Save your money & get a model 1 with a couple of B1's. Now you'll have a system for small functions & one that will handle a crowd of 200+.
Also you can now bring them both this way you have a back up unit. After you go that far you might want to get another L1 mod. 1 & two more bass bins. Of coarse at this point I'd say polish it off with four more B1's & two Packlites. OK - well that's what I did, but I bought the compact last. So i guess I did it in reverse. I think it's safe to say I have a Bose addiction. Big Grin
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hello, dfwhoot, ST

Please see this new discussion: Model II for Karaoke or two Compacts

Thank you.