Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 8, 2018

Opportunity to Purchase Model II w/ B2 for Solo/Duet Acoustic

Hello all,

New to the forums and looking to make my first Bose Portable PA purchase. I am already appreciative of the knowledge contained in these forums. 

I have the opportunity to purchase a used Bose Model II with a B2 Bass Module for a reasonable price. My primary gigs will be solo acoustic or duo acoustic, possible with a keyboard. Current audience is small, sub-200.

I understand that a single B1 module would likely meet my needs very well. This would probably be my preferred setup. However, my questions are as follows:

1) Would this still work well for solo/duo acoustic gigs? Given the opportunity and price, would it be a good buy to make sure I am "future-proofed" for bigger gigs, more pieces, more low-end instruments, etc.? 

2) I understand there are settings on the B2 that can dial back the output. Does this make it comparable to a B1?

3) Are there any other drawbacks to using the B2 for solo/duo acoustic gigs (besides being much larger/heavier)?

4) The FAQs on the Bose website for the Model II/B2 combo list the best uses as DJs, low-end instruments, etc., without any mention of voice, acoustic guitar, keyboard, or any other mid/high range instruments.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance. I did search the forums before posting and found some helpful posts, but if I missed any that seem to answer this directly, I apologize and please feel free to link me to those posts.

--Bennett

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Re: Opportunity to Purchase Model II w/ B2 for Solo/Duet Acoustic

First see http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/inde...itle=B2#B2_Switching for a description of how the switch operates.

1) Yes but you may find using the switch in the down position to be enough bass for solo/duo gigs. The other settings may be too much. Just try it out and see what you think.

2) yes see the link

3) No not really.

4) DJs, dance bands et al like a LOT of bass which is better suited with the B2. It’s not that the B2 won’t do the other, it’s more like the B1s won’t have enough bass. With the various switch settings, you can adust it to better suit a more balanced bass to give clarity to your vocals etc.

You’ll see a split in the opinions of 2 B1s vs a B2. Some prefer the B1s, but it’s very subjective. I don’t  think you’d go wrong with a B2. It will give some flexibility to cover a broad variety of gig situations. I use 2 B1s in an acoustic duo (guitar and vocal) and sometimes a trio (upright electric bass) and I’m happy with the sound. Nothing against the B2, I just already had a B1 and found a used one to add to the mix so it was partly a financial decision for me.

Besides, if you found the B2 to be too much, you could easily sell it and get 2 B1s on the used market. 

Highlighted
Registered since

May 28, 2009

I am a solo vocalist and sometimes keyboard player, I use the L1MII with a B2  and love it. I have 2 L1 system but the other one is more of a backup although I use it on occasions when the room/s shape dictates it necessary but a single L1MII with B2 covers almost every venue I do including halls of up to 300 people. I had 4 B1's before the B2's came out and I prefer the sound of the B2's but that's a personal preference. The 3 way switch can be used to reduce or increase the bass response of the B2 which is of course a matter of preference but will also be affected by it's position in the room and the room characteristics acoustically.
You won't be sorry if you get the L1MII with B2.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 22, 2018

I think overall you'll be really happy.  Worst case you grab a new or used B1 for smaller rooms.  

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 6, 2018

I just started using the L1 II with B2 for solo acoustic and I love it! There are no draw backs. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 8, 2018

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Very helpful! Sounds like this combo is a good, versatile option. 

Highlighted
Registered since

May 5, 2018

I am also a solo vocalist / keyboardist using backing tracks with the L1 - MII - B2. I have used both configurations you have described (two B1’s). In my opinion the B2 wins hands down. The are three settings on the B2 that allows for venue specific adjustments for bass depth. 

For large outdoor venues, I picked up two F1’s for FOH and use the L1 system behind me as a monitor. This all through a Bose Tonematch T4S mixer. The Tonematch connects seamlessly to the L1 system, and I absolutely love this little mixer.

I only brought the F1’s into the conversation because I wanted you to be aware of a future expandability option if the need arises. 

If I were you I would grab the “deal” on the model II with B2 and seriously consider a Tonematch mixer(there are 3 models to choose from).  You will not be disappointed. 

Best of luck with whatever direction you take. By the way..... Bose product support is unsurpassed. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 15, 2018

It's perfect for an Acoustic Duo. You will have no problem playing for 1,000 people. The B2 has 3 trim settings on a switch. We have done 250 shows with an Acoustic and Vocal Duo, which is exactly what this rig is made for. Keep it simple.  

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Nov 19, 2018

Ciao Bennett - no Tonematch mixer? Or you have another mixer? I’m a sole singer and have the L1 model 2 with B2 a T1. I do small places like pizzeria and bigger halls for communions and other parties - the B2  can get deep when activated. In smaller places I have off or down - good luck and enjoy your system. Recently we added an ear monitor to the Tonematch mixer  for me as sometimes I do have trouble hearing myself if the place asks us to lower music like a restaurant where people talking 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 22, 2014

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but wanted to throw my 2¢ worth onto the table of some already great responses to you.  I hope you have pulled the trigger on the system with the B2.   I had the very fortunate opportunity to hands on try both the B2 and B1 before my purchase and as said, while it's a matter of personal preference and opinion, the B2 outshines the B1 even in the smaller venue situation.  As you already know and shared, the only drawback at all is the weight.   And as shared, you can always find a good used or even new B1 to add to your arsenal and then use either at your discretion.  

The B1 sounded awesome........don't get me wrong.  It is NOT inferior in any way.  It is just that my own hands on comparison through two weekends of gigs with each before purchase had me not hesitate to get the B2.   I almost never use the higher/stronger bass settings on the B2......the least strong bass response is more than plenty, especially to balance with vocals, etc for all my acoustic shows.   But to me and my personal preferences, using even the least bass response setting still provided more presence, punch, and just general "oomph" still outshining the B1.   If there was no such thing as the B2.....I would still be quite happy with a B1, especially with load in/load out.  

One last added note:  The suggestion for getting the T1, T4s or T8s mixer engine to compliment it all is a very good choice.  I've used both the T1 and two other mixers.  It didn't take me long to know the T1 was by far the better choice.  You just have to spend the time and effort to get the exact mix and sound you want.  

Let us know what you decided and how it's going with it all if you did.   You'll be very glad you made the purchase.