Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

Outdoor venues

Does the L1  Model 1S offer enough coverage for outdoor venues? i.e.: summer concert series with 300 people?

13 REPLIES 13
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Outdoor venues

Hi, Dana,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community. I'm glad you're here.

Please tell us about your events. It would be extremely helpful to know:

• What kind of music are you performing?
  • Are you performing solo or with a group? How many performers?
  • How many microphones? How many instruments?
  • Are you the feature of the event or providing background music?
  • What will people in the audience be doing while you are performing?
    • Listening attentively?
    • Wandering by?
    • Partying boisterously
  • Will you be performing on elevated stages? How high?
  • Will you be expected to be heard by 300 people, or will there be 300 people in attendance (not necessarily listening to you)?

Thanks,

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

I am a children's recording artist/entertainer.  I will be using the system for smaller indoor venues (libraries, schools) and larger (malls), but mostly for outdoor settings such as zoos, summer concert series, parks, etc.  I usually perform as a single using backing tracks with live guitar and/or keyboard. Audience will be children, so sound should not be too loud at front of audience, yet reach to the back of the venue.  I use a wireless headset mic and move around A LOT.  All of this said, sometime I perform with a small combo indoors.  2 guitars, ukulele, 4 mics. I am also wondering about the new T8S mixer and when it will be available. Thank you!!

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

I should clarify... I sing to instrumental tracks from my recordings, but sometime might add guitar or keyboard to this. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

From my experience this system will do it the trick... that being said if the audience in not sitting you may need to get the L1 1S 8”- 12” off the ground to get the sound to the back. This is especially true if it is a packed house. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Personally if you want to be heard with clarity front to back no you do not have enough sound. If the seats in the back are for the short term , restless, or just to rest their weary bones it is less of a concern. If this is a seated venue tickets type thing, then you will need two systems. The persons wanting to listen will gravitate toward the front, the rest will settle for back seats for freedom of movement, noisy rambunctious kids. Their interest levels will not be one of conviction, so the quality of sound is less of a concern to them, perhaps not to you.  

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dana,

Thanks for the added information. Let me confirm - Do you already have an L1® Model 1S?  Do you have a B1 or B2 bass module?

dana posted:

I am a children's recording artist/entertainer.  I will be using the system for smaller indoor venues (libraries, schools) and larger (malls), but mostly for outdoor settings such as zoos, summer concert series, parks, etc.  

I have had surprisingly good results with my L1® Model 1S outdoors. If there's not a lot of background noise, (automobile traffic, other sound sources, boisterous audience), you can be heard well. 

I usually perform as a single using backing tracks with live guitar and/or keyboard. Audience will be children, so sound should not be too loud at front of audience, yet reach to the back of the venue.  

If people are free to move closer or farther away during your shows, then this may all work out fine. If you've got fixed seating for 300, and you're trying to reach everyone in the back rows, you'd do better with an L1® Model II. For what you're doing in your solo shows outdoors, an L1® Model II is a better choice than two L1® Model 1S systems.

I use a wireless headset mic and move around A LOT.  All of this said, sometime I perform with a small combo indoors.  2 guitars, ukulele, 4 mics.

With this many microphones, gain before feedback can be an issue. It depends on how loud you need to be over the background noise in the room.   Please tell us more about the venues where you perform as a combo.

I am also wondering about the new T8S mixer and when it will be available. Thank you!!

The T8S ToneMatch mixer should be available throughout the US by May 1.

If you have the L1® Model 1S, take it out and try it in your outdoor settings. If you don't have one yet, then consider an L1® Model II.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 24, 2018

Thank you all for the very helpful feedback.  I appreciate it very much.  To answer your questions, ST...  I have not yet purchased anything and one of my next questions was going to be whether the model ll would be a better choice.  I am thinking now of the model ll with the bass 1.  Wondering if this would be sufficient, or if it would be better to get 2 of the L1's.

When I am performing with the small combo, it is in a small ballroom sized space or smallish club setting. I do not need to be overly loud.  

I heard from someone else that they have had feedback issues when using a wireless headset with the Bose L1.  Perhaps this was user error? Or, do you think it could be an ongoing problem with this system? 

Though the kids may not yet have discerning ears, I value children greatly and believe that they deserve quality music with excellent sound.  Because my biz is not only entertaining families, but selling my recordings, I want the sound to be top notch.  I am looking at these systems because I am tired of schlepping around my heavy speakers and rack unit.  : )

Again, thank you all for taking the time to read and respond!

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

To be honest... because of the headset and the fact that you will be moving from venue to venue... I would recommend two F1 812 tops for mains & 2-3 S1 Pros for monitors. This set up would give you a lot of flexibility and maximum gain before feedback. The L1 systems are great, but "I use a wireless headset mic and move around A LOT" <--- this is the reason that I would recommend the system I listed above. If you are behind the F1s they are very resistant to feeding back and I feel that being able to use the flexible line array will give you options. One more benefit is the ability to raise them up if need be. Later if you feel you need more bass you could add a F1 sub... but I don't think it would be necessary. The S1's would serve you well as easy to set up and transport monitors... 

I realize the price of this set up would be more money, but I think you would be very happy with it.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Dana,

dana posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
 I use a wireless headset mic and move around A LOT.  
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?
Are you moving around on the stage or out in the audience too?

Thank you all for the very helpful feedback.  I appreciate it very much.  To answer your questions, ST...  I have not yet purchased anything and one of my next questions was going to be whether the model ll would be a better choice.  I am thinking now of the model ll with the bass 1.  Wondering if this would be sufficient, or if it would be better to get 2 of the L1's.If you're doing a solo show, I'd stick with one L1® Model II. Unless you are performing across an extremely wide stage (greater than 30-40 feet wide), there's not much reason to use two. And with two close together, you lower your gain before feedback.

When I am performing with the small combo, it is in a small ballroom sized space or smallish club setting. I do not need to be overly loud.  

You're probably okay with one L1® although, from a monitoring standpoint, you might be happier with two.  You can alleviate that though if you use a T8S. You might consider getting an S1 Pro or two as monitors. 

I heard from someone else that they have had feedback issues when using a wireless headset with the Bose L1.  Perhaps this was user error? Or, do you think it could be an ongoing problem with this system? 

This depends on the kind of wireless headset you are using. If the microphone polar pattern is omni directional you may have some issues.  I've had great results with unidirectional headset microphones. What make and model is your headset microphone. A link to the owners manual or manufacturer's web page would be very helpful here.

Though the kids may not yet have discerning ears, I value children greatly and believe that they deserve quality music with excellent sound.  Because my biz is not only entertaining families, but selling my recordings, I want the sound to be top notch.  I am looking at these systems because I am tired of schlepping around my heavy speakers and rack unit.  : )

One of my favorite features of the L1® is the individual components are under 25 pounds. That applies to the power stand and Cylindrical Radiator® sections. Your bass modules weigh in at about 25 pounds for the B1 or 40 pounds for the B2. You'll probably want a B2 for outdoor shows.  Your total carry weight with a B2 and T8S is under 100 pounds.

I have the F1 Model 812s and they are great. But if you are looking for more consistent volume from close to the stage to the farthest listener, The L1® Model II does that better. That's because the line array portion of the speaker is three times taller.  Even if you have to change to a unidirectional headset microphone to work with the L1®, given what you've told us, about where and how you perform, and your concerns about size, weight and simplicity, I'd go with the L1® Model II.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to read and respond!

Happy to have the conversation,

ST