Lee_3
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

POE splitter for 9v pedal power

Is there a way to, safely, connect the Cat5 cable from an L1 to a POE splitter prior to a tonematch to intercept the power to run to a guitar pedal?  There are POE devices available for purchase that allow doing so, however, they remove the power from the data port.  I'd like to be able to use one cable to my station and not have to run a bulky power cable to my pedalboard/loop pedal.  All I'd require for power to the pedalboard is a standard 9v DC.  

4 REPLIES 4
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: POE splitter for 9v pedal power

Hi Lee,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.

That's an interesting question and some creative thinking.

The short answer is no.

The ToneMatch Power Supply wiring is proprietary. It does not conform to the Cat-5 or Cat-6 standards and the voltage is 18 volts. If you were to tap the cable  there may not be sufficient power left for the ToneMatch mixer, or you may damage the power supply.

To reduce the number of cables on stage, I made a snake using a cable-wrap to carry both the ToneMatch cable and cables for other devices.  I can't find the one I used online, but it similar to this.

http://content.oppictures.com/Master_Images/Master_Variants/Variant_500/112894.jpg

ST

Lee_3
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

ST posted:

Hi Lee,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.

That's an interesting question and some creative thinking.

The short answer is no.

The ToneMatch Power Supply wiring is proprietary. It does not conform to the Cat-5 or Cat-6 standards and the voltage is 18. If you were to tap the cable  there may not be sufficient power left for the ToneMatch mixer, or you may damage the power supply.

To reduce the number of cables on stage, I made a snake using a cable-wrap to carry both the ToneMatch cable and cables for other devices.  I can't find the one I used online, but it similar to this.

http://content.oppictures.com/Master_Images/Master_Variants/Variant_500/112894.jpg

ST

Thanks for the info.  

My plan is to use a repeater with two ports out (including POE) and split the 9v off of the second port and let the other port pass through to the mixer.  

Here is the Repeater and here is what I'd split off the 9v DC with after the repeater.  

Two questions:

Are the POE pairs from the L1 the same wires as a standard CAT5 with POE?

If yes, do you see any risk in trying this? 

Thanks!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Lee,

Lee posted:

My plan is to use a repeater with two ports out (including POE) and split the 9v off of the second port and let the other port pass through to the mixer.  

Here is the Repeater and here is what I'd split off the 9v DC with after the repeater.  

The ToneMatch port uses RJ45 connectors, but it is NOT CAT-5.  It is proprietary supported only for connections from an L1® Model II, Model 1S, or ToneMatch Power Supply to the ToneMatch mixers (T1®, T4S, T8S).

What you're asking is unsupported by Bose and I can't comment on connecting non-Bose devices to the ToneMatch Port.

Two questions:

Are the POE pairs from the L1 the same wires as a standard CAT5 with POE?

Bose doesn't publish the wiring details of the ToneMatch cable.

If yes, do you see any risk in trying this? 

Thanks!

If you tap the cable  there may not be sufficient power left for the ToneMatch mixer, or you may damage the power supply or the ToneMatch mixer.

ST

Lee_3
Registered since

Apr 8, 2018

Ok.  Thanks for your replies.