Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

Packlite Clipping

Hi again. So I have two B2's on each side of my system. One uses a Packlite amp on each side. I run in stereo, using the T1 ethercon connection to drive one side and the Aux side to power the other. I get a balance between the two sides and then use VirtualDJ to control the overall volume.

I have found that the side connected with the Ethercon connection is always very sensitive to clipping. I am often seeing the red clip light come on, even though the volume, while loud, does not seem excessive to me.

Any ideas why this might be? It seems the aux side doesn't suffer from that problem. I don't have the packlite amps marked so I am not sure which physical amp is on each side each time. I may have to do that to determine if it's one particular amp but I don't think so since the aux side of the system never seems to have the problem no matter how much I crank the system.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks ............ Rob

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Packlite Clipping

Hi Rob,

There's nothing specific to using the digital EtherCon connection compared to the analog input EXCEPT that with the analog input, it's possible to set the trim on the Model II Power Stand. This means it's possible the input signal through the analog connection can be higher or lower than through the digital connection.

It sounds like you may have the input trim set so the signal is slightly higher on the unit connected through the analog connection.

You can turn things up on the PackLite amps so you're seeing flickers of red, or even solid red for short periods of time.  If you're not hearing distortion, things are probably fine. 

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 28, 2018

It's the analog side that does not see the clipping. It's the Ethercon side that sees the clipping. And sometimes there is distortion when it happens. 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Rob,

EBDS posted:

It's the analog side that does not see the clipping. It's the Ethercon side that sees the clipping. And sometimes there is distortion when it happens. 

You cannot adjust the signal sent over the ToneMatch (Ethercon port) relative to the Master Analog output.  

You can adjust the analog input trim on the Model II Power Stand to get the same volume as the unit you've connected through the digital connection. From your description, you may need to turn up the trim just a bit.

Then, if you find the PackLites are clipping and the B2s that are connected to the PackLites are distorting:

Use an inline pad ( -20 dB) between the Model II Power Stand and the PackLite input.

I've never seen an inline pad for Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables, so you'll have to get some adapters (XLR to Tip-Ring-Sleeve) to make all this work.  If you're handy you can build your own.  

ST