Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Perfect Sound Solution for Retirement Community Gigs

I've been entertaining full-time in retirement and care communities for six years, performing over 500 concerts/year. My audiences are older adults in venues ranging from living room type spaces (5-20 people) to small auditoriums (50-100 people). I've been waiting for a portable PA that would meet every one of my needs:

- sound great, with a warm sound perfectly suited to my audience, many who have hearing loss, and some who have hearing sensitivity issues
- small and lightweight (I gig 5/6 days each week, 2-4 gigs per day, so lugging heavy PA is a no-go)
- multi-function, with solid bluetooth (I use an iPod Touch for backing tracks, and other systems I've tested have had unreliable bluetooth)
- battery powered with long life (no cords means quick setup and no tripping hazards)
- plenty of power for largest gigs

I bought two S1Pros, one dedicated to my smallest gigs where I don't use a microphone, just bluetooth music, and the other dedicated to larger gigs were I use a microphone (Shure FP15 with headset, also battery powered). I combine the two for my largest gigs.

After three weeks and 37 gigs, I'm completely satisfied on every count. Sound great with plenty of power. Bluetooth is rock-solid without a single drop or hiccup. Connecting two is quick and painless, and the combo makes a clean, powerful sound. And the battery life is astounding. I'm able to use them all week on a single charge (on average, 11 one-hour-long gigs, split between the two units). The sound is smooth and round (perfect for my audience and my tastes, but I know many don't like this about Bose "no highs no lows") with plenty of punch. Not one single clipping issue, even at higher volumes. And even at near max (approx. 75%), no signs of strain. And its so light weight. I have small carry-on sized roll-away luggage that I use for each unit, and they pop in and out of the trunk of my car multiple times every day without strain.

Big thumbs up and thanks to Bose for making theKevin Sings the Classics perfect portable solution for all my gigs.IMG_0875

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Perfect Sound Solution for Retirement Community Gigs

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.

Kevin Salyer posted:

I've been entertaining full-time in retirement and care communities for six years, performing over 500 concerts/year. My audiences are older adults in venues ranging from living room type spaces (5-20 people) to small auditoriums (50-100 people).

Wonderful. 

And thanks for the comprehensive review. I'm delighted the S1 Pros are working so well for you and the people you care for through your music.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

I perform at retirement communities, as well, as a singer and guitar player, and I recently had my first gig with my Bose S1. I had my S1 on a speaker stand and used a wireless Shure SM58 microphone. I'm curious: What kind of entertainer are you, and do you use a mixer with the S1 at all? I'm curious to see if connecting my Bose T4S mixer would be good.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 30, 2018

Also, how do you connect your Shure FP15 with headset to the S1? If the FP15 is wireless and battery-powered I think it would be so cool to do my entertaining job with BOTH a battery-powered headset mic and the Bose S1 on batteries. Thanks

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks Kevin for your solid review of the S1 in action.  I too would like to hear more about the wireless FP15 and if it's totally battery-powered (meaning both receiver and transmitter).  Also, when I use my iphone via bluetooth, it sounds great and blocks the phone from ringing. However, if I get a text message or an email it make a very loud "notification" sound.  Do you know if I put the phone in airplane mode, would it stop these disruptions?  (I'd try it right now, but I have everything packed up for a gig and where I'm going there won't be phone service...  Curious about the answer for when I get back.)  Thanks!

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

DMC posted:

I perform at retirement communities, as well, as a singer and guitar player, and I recently had my first gig with my Bose S1. I had my S1 on a speaker stand and used a wireless Shure SM58 microphone. I'm curious: What kind of entertainer are you, and do you use a mixer with the S1 at all? I'm curious to see if connecting my Bose T4S mixer would be good.

Howdy DMC. I always enjoy meeting other retirement community entertainers. Hope alls well in your musical world!

*What kind of entertainer am I? I'll refer you to my website and facebook page for full details: www.KevinSingsTheClassics.com *** facebook/Kevin Sings the Classics

*Do I use a mixer? No. I run music from an iPod touch via bluetooth. I occasionally user the mixer app built into IOS to clean up a track or two, but very rarely. I run my wireless mic directly through the S1Pro with tone match set to microphone. I adjust reverb, treble, and bass to suit the environment gig to gig.

Peace.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

DMC posted:

Also, how do you connect your Shure FP15 with headset to the S1? If the FP15 is wireless and battery-powered I think it would be so cool to do my entertaining job with BOTH a battery-powered headset mic and the Bose S1 on batteries. Thanks

DMC, you asked:

*How do I connect the Share FP15 to the S1Pro? Both the transmitter (which connects to the mic) and the receiver (which connects to the PA) are battery powered (2 AA each) and are the same size as a standard belt pack. The receiver connects to the PA like any other microphone, with a three pin connector. The cable comes included with the FP15, and its short and flexible (like an old telephone receiver cord). And since the receiver is so small, I sit it on top of the PA in the divit of the handle. Its invisible to the audience.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Archtop Eddy posted:

Thanks Kevin for your solid review of the S1 in action.  I too would like to hear more about the wireless FP15 and if it's totally battery-powered (meaning both receiver and transmitter).  Also, when I use my iphone via bluetooth, it sounds great and blocks the phone from ringing. However, if I get a text message or an email it make a very loud "notification" sound.  Do you know if I put the phone in airplane mode, would it stop these disruptions?  (I'd try it right now, but I have everything packed up for a gig and where I'm going there won't be phone service...  Curious about the answer for when I get back.)  Thanks!

Howdy Archtop Eddy:

*Is the Shure FP15 totally battery powered? Yes. Both receiver and transmitter. 2 AA batteries each. Rated for 12 performance hours each. I tend to use batteries about half that long before replacing them. I take batteries out after every performance.

*iPhone via bluetooth? I use an iPod Touch (the iPhone without the phone). I turn off all notifications and sounds, fix the orientation so it doesn't flip (I find portrait mode best for my use), and set it so the screen never goes black (turning the brightness down as much as I can to ensure long battery life). I've stripped away every extraneous app to also ensure max battery life and storage.

Good luck!

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

Thanks Kevin for the answers. I just checked out your website. You've got a great thing going there doing the Kevin Sings The Classics.  Back-to-back-to-back bookings and plenty of cool musical themes for your audiences to choose from.  Excellent job, my man!  Sounds like you stay with backing tracks and add your vocals on top. Me? I'm more of a guitar player/singer.  Lot more limited in terms of variety of music and sound but it works well for me on my solo gigs.  Checking out your site has inspired me to work up my game a bit.  One clarification please... With the FP15, what head set comes with it?

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 15, 2018

Archtop Eddy posted:

Thanks Kevin for the answers. I just checked out your website. You've got a great thing going there doing the Kevin Sings The Classics.  Back-to-back-to-back bookings and plenty of cool musical themes for your audiences to choose from.  Excellent job, my man!  Sounds like you stay with backing tracks and add your vocals on top. Me? I'm more of a guitar player/singer.  Lot more limited in terms of variety of music and sound but it works well for me on my solo gigs.  Checking out your site has inspired me to work up my game a bit.  One clarification please... With the FP15, what head set comes with it?

No headset comes with it. You buy it separately. Options for headset, lavalier, or handheld.