Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Phantom Power solutions for the S1 Pro

I use my Bose S1 Pro yesterday at a practice/jam session. I am using a Shure KSM8 and it works great, but when I plugged in my Shure 87A it didn't work! It's because the Shure 87A requires phantom power... and it is not available on the Bose S1 Pro. If I'm not mistaken I believe there's an adapter out there somewhere. I just thought I'd mention it here for some discussion.

Edit title: Previously "Microphones"
— Bose Pro Community Admin 

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 23, 2014

Re: Phantom Power solutions for the S1 Pro

There are many brands and models available.  I only have experience with a few models.  The Art brand is what I have used over the last 7 years.  It is inexpensive but has worked well for me with Shure podium mics.

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto...--art-phantom-ii-pro

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

LarryM2 posted:

If I'm not mistaken I believe there's an adapter out there somewhere. I just thought I'd mention it here for some discussion.

Hi LarryM2, I think that you'll find that there are quite a few units on the market which will supply you with the necessary Phantom Power as SoundGeek has already mentioned.

It's a case of finding one to suit your needs and pocket.

You may even have a small mixer which can provide the Power which could save you buying new gear.

Just a thought. 

Tony

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

I have successfully powered both a C1000 and Neumann KT105 microphones with a battery powered Behringer 1002B mixer - at the same time (using rechargeable 9v batteries - cost of mixer is $99).

Another option is the 'rolls PB224 Dual Battery Powered Phantom supply' - about $75 - It can supply full power to 2 microphones - I also use rechargeable 9v batteries with it (EBL brand)...

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Dec 13, 2013

Chet 3 posted:

I have successfully powered both a C1000 and Neumann KT105 microphones with a battery powered Behringer 1002B mixer - at the same time (using rechargeable 9v batteries - cost of mixer is $99).

This is the type of thing I meant and now we have an account ofChet 3's personal experience with it.

I like the fact that it can run on rechargeables. Good for the environment but also good for the use of an S1 where no mains power is available.

Another option is the 'rolls PB224 Dual Battery Powered Phantom supply' - about $75 - It can supply full power to 2 microphones - I also use rechargeable 9v batteries with it (EBL brand)...

Also good. But what I like about the Behringer is that it also extends the number of inputs available.

Thanks for this information Chet 3. The mixer itself could be interesting for a number of people looking for an inexpensive small mixer.

Tony

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

As I've said, being Mazda Miata Challenged (that's my gigging "van"), I look for small and functional.

Even though I bought it "on a lark", when I got the S1s my Behringer 1002B has become an essential piece of gear.  It just works well/cleanly, adds FIVE input channels with 3 band EQ, works on batteries for at least 2-3 hours (with ONE phantom powered microphone) and WITH it's power supply fits in an old, padded, laptop case I had lying around.  I power it with the excellent 600mAh rechargeable batteries I got (EBL) - it takes 3 -- 2 for mixer and one for phantom power.

Since one of the batteries provides the phantom power it discharges more quickly than the other two - although I've gotten 4 hours out of it with a Neumann KMS105 plugged in.  I keep another set of charged batteries on hand and would switch out the phantom battery every couple of hours with a fresh one just to be safe with more than one phantom powered mic...

I use 2 TRS to XLR balanced cables to run left and right outputs to my 2 S1s and have even done some panning (me slightly panned left, my partner slightly panned right) to give a stereo mix/directionality to smaller audiences (50 or so).

AND I'm 100% portable (I even have a large capacity rechargeable battery producing 9v for my guitar effects) - look Ma, no A/C Wires!  And even where there's A/C available, not having to deal with it significantly speeds and simplifies set up.

I still find it strange that Bose (and JBL EON ONE among others) have left out phantom power in "Pro" level gear though.  I haven't heard a good explanation of why that is.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Thanks for the well thought out and helpful comment Chet 3. I'm starting with a NADY SMPS-2x Dual Phantom and I may work myself into a mixer, it sounds interesting and something I would enjoy experimenting with.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

While there are a variety of phantom power options, I like to keep my system 1) small as possible; and 2) strictly battery-powered.   I currently use a Bose VE-8 acoustic singer which lets me have battery powered phantom (with my Neumann KS-105 mic), but I've also tried the tc helicon Mic Mechanic 2 which also worked well. The Mic Mechanic's nice in that it's a standard stomp box size, provides some nice reverb and studio-like sound adjustments just for microphones.  (I use the Boss VE-8 instead because it provides more overall functions: vocal harmony, guitar looping, guitar effects chorus and reverb).

In either case, whether with the Boss VE-8 or the tc helicon Mic Mechanic, I use a Sanyo eneloop KBC9v3u ("Juice") rechargeable lithium-ion battery pedal to charge the units. The eneloop is smaller than a standard Boss pedal. I've never had any issues running 3 hours plus with the eneloop.  In fact, with my set up I use 3 eneloop pedals to charge everything (except the iPad). This includes: a Boss Octave OC3, a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, the Boss VE-8, a vintage Boss Analog DM-2, and a BBE Sonic Stomp. All the pedals pack together on a PedalTrain pedal board 20x7 inches. The gig bag for the pedal board has a pocket large enough to carry the 3 eneloop pedals and batteries just in case for a backup.  I've played more than 100 gigs with this setup and have never needed the batteries.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jan 17, 2016

Very nice Archtop Eddie... great setup!