Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Phantom power

I have a Neumann kms 105 and my guitarist/backup singer has a Shure Beta 58A. We love your tone matching for the different mics - it’s brilliant! However, for the Neumann, I need phantom power. It looks like, once it’s activated, it’s a global setting? and not just per channel. Can we use the Shure if phantom power is activated? Thanks! 

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Phantom power

Hi Songcatcher,

Thanks for the great question.

"Phantom Power will not damage a professional dynamic microphone."
- Source: Shure.com

Songcatcher posted:

I have a Neumann kms 105 and my guitarist/backup singer has a Shure Beta 58A. We love your tone matching for the different mics - it’s brilliant! However, for the Neumann, I need phantom power. It looks like, once it’s activated, it’s a global setting? and not just per channel.

Yes, when you turn on Phantom power, it is applied to all XLR inputs.

Can we use the Shure if phantom power is activated? Thanks! 

Yes, you can use a dynamic microphone as long as it is wired correctly according to modern standards.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Perfect. Thank you! 

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 22, 2018

Since I have a Shure Beta 58A I thought I would give it a try...works fine with Phantom Power turned on, as has been said.

Highlighted
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Thx! 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Songcatcher,

I forgot to mention, I have a Neumann KMS 105 and I've been using it for years with my T1 (and now T4S) using the ToneMatch Preset.

Category: Vocal Mics
Preset: Neumann KMS 105

I like other mics too, but the KMS 105 is my first choice.

When you get a few minutes, please tell us about you and your music.

Cheers!

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 21, 2018

Yes - I use the AKG C5 that needs phantom & percussionist uses a Sure SM57. No problem.

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 25, 2004

When I use my KMS-105, I want a battery powered phantom unit. So I use a tc helicon Mic Mechanic 2 or the Boss V8 Acoustic Singer -- both which can run off battery power.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Songcatcher and ArchTop Eddy, please see the new discussion for this topic.

T4S with Boss V8 Acoustic Singer and Boss V20 Vocal Performer

Thank you. 

Bose Pro Community Admin 

Highlighted
Registered since

Aug 21, 2018

Followup question:

I just want to confirm that phantom power is not being applied to balanced (TRS) 1/4" inputs since the T8S uses combi inputs.  In other words: Bose responded that the phantom power is applied globally to all XLR inputs- but what if I have a balanced 1/4" input - does it get phantom power applied to it? 

For whatever it's worth: I really wish the phantom power could have been split: 2/6 or 4/4 on the T8S.  I also wish that some of the AUX outs could have been send/returns. Anyhow...

Thanks.