packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

Please Help Me Understand

I share a gig with another DJ/KJ. We alternate Saturday nights. He uses 15" Mackies with amp. Pretty much standard equipment. Volume too loud most of the time. I use my L1 compact and Tonematch at what I feel is a much lower volume. The venue is on the edge of a residential area. When I play the neighbors complain about the volume, but not when he plays. Not sure if I'm being singled out for whatever the reasons. I've even sent friends out to listen from the street and they say it is not loud, but clear. His sounds like it is muffled even in the building. Is it the clarity they're complaining about???? Ready to give it up.
6 REPLIES 6
serge-djplusent
Registered since

May 23, 2007

Re: Please Help Me Understand

I dare say that due to the sound being projected with very little change in tone or volume over a greater distance, it is being perceived as being louder as the residents can hear the music with great clarity.
Joelheck
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

We have encountered the same problem at 2 outdoor venues here in The Villages. I have used my SPL Meter and measured the volume at less than 65 DB (A Weighted) at the street boundaries, with 100 + ft to the houses. Incidentally a passing golf cart was 69 DB.

The problem is one of clarity and perception that "Since they can understand it, it must be louder". The muffled sounds from other music sources, is perceived as lower, because they cannot make out any detail or clarity.

It may help to cut the mids and the highs a bit to muddy it up a little outside. Have a friend listen further out, possibly relaying to you over a cell phone if it helps any.

I play at least 80 % of my gig's outdoors and get comments (usually favorable) and occasional requests called into the clubhouse from golfers quite a few holes out.
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Also keep in mind that some people are just going to complain. It doesn't matter what the sound level is some people will just complain. I have been asked to turn down when it is the house system and I haven't even played a note yet.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hey Roy,
quote:
I have been asked to tone down ... and I haven't even played a note yet.

Mebbe it was yer shirt?
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

Most of the bars I play at ST shirts are optional. It is the South.
packman
Registered since

Oct 6, 2007

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it was the clarity. Damn Bose and their awesome sound. That was a joke, just so nobody complains about it.