Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 26, 2020

Preferred cable type: T8 to L1 base unit

hello all,

What would be the preferred cable (s) to use from the T8S to  one or two L1 base units? Thank you! 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Re: Preferred cable type: T8 to L1 base unit

Hi Takefive, 

According to Bose's documentation you should use ¼ Inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced) to ¼ Inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced)

(http://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=L1®_Compact#Connections_from_a_T1_ToneMatch_Audio_Engine)

¼ Inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced) to ¼ Inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve (balanced)

A balanced connection is preferred and will provide better noise rejection over greater distances than the unbalanced connection.

Tip-Ring-Sleeve to Tip-Ring-Sleeve

¼ Inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve (unbalanced) to ¼ Inch Tip-Sleeve (unbalanced)

This should work fine but a balanced connection (immediately above) is preferred especially if you will have cable runs in excess of 20 feet (6 meters) or if you hear line noise, hum or hiss.

Tip-Sleeve to Tip-Sleeve

But I am not sure if you would like to know some specific cable brand/model

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi TakeFive,

We have another article of interest.

T8S to L1

There are some notes about cables in the article.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 20, 2019

I use XLR to quarter inch tip ring sleeve.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Just to further clarify/expand, since the main out from the T8s is XLR, I would consider using an XLR cable from the T8s to the L1, then connect the XLR-TRS adapter cable that is illustrated in the article ST mentions at the other end to plug into the L1. 

A TRS to TRS 1/4” cable can be a bit specialized. Where else might you use it? How long should it be? It could be short but suppose you wanted to place the T8s more 30 feet away at some gig for whatever reason.

Therefore, my thought would be use XLR cables due to their more flexible use. They are very common, can easily daisy chain them together to cover various length runs, come in a wide variety of lengths, can be used in a variety of other contexts (mic cables), most venues have spare XLR cables in case yours fails, and can be more durable than 1/4” cables in my humble experience. 

Either will work just fine, but XLR cables may offer more flexibility for you.  

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi CityFolk,

In praise of 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables

The T8S has two pairs of outputs; XLR and 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve.

1/4

I prefer  1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve for this application because

• No need for adapters
  • Both ends are the same (no walking back turn the cable around).
  • I can use the same cables for many situations with my other Bose Portable PA gear. I use 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables all the time with my Bose gear.

1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve cables can be used for

• Daisy-chaining S1 Pro systems
  • Daisy-chaining L1 Compact systems
  • T1, T4S, T8S ToneMatch mixers
    • Master/Main outputs
    • Aux outputs
      connecting to
    • S1 Pro
    • L1 Compact
    • L1 Model 1S and L1 Model II
    • F1 Model 812

They are as easy to get as XLR cables from most retailers.

Yes, it's more likely you can find a spare microphone (XLR) cable lying around in case of an emergency.  And yes, it makes a lot of sense to have spare cables for everything critical or at least an XLR to 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) Tip-Ring-Sleeve adapter in the kit.

XLR Female to 1/4" Male TRS Cable

Cheers,

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 26, 2020

Thanks to all for the input!   Big help, and much appreciated.   

Cheers,

Takefive

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Ok I’m reminded of the old light beer commercial that has someone saying it tastes great but the other says it’s less filling. Darn,  now I’m getting thirsty! ??

Whatever cable works best for your situation go for it. As I mentioned, both TRS or XLR will work fine. For my equipment situation, which is XLR biased, XLRs work best for me. I only use a TRS cable for input into the L1. I also don’t use Bose mixers. Nothing against them by any means, I just use something else.

So everyone’s mileage may vary ??.