gazbhoy
Registered since

May 13, 2009

Problem note - D3

Hi,

I have noticed at my last two gigs that when I hold down the note D3 the sound reverberates and feedsback rather than dropping off overtime as all other notes do. I have tried to use para Eq to solve the problem, trying different frequencies and width's but with limited success. I have reduced the db's right down to -15 but it still causes some issues.

I would like to try to resolve this before my gig on Friday. Any suggestions?

Regards
Gary
7 REPLIES 7
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Problem note - D3

Hi Gary,

We're talking about your guitar note D3? (Open D string)?

If so, the you are probably getting low end feedback from the B1. I would try moving the B1 away from the body of the guitar. Even a couple of feet could make a big difference.

Does that help?
gazbhoy
Registered since

May 13, 2009

Hi ST,

Thanks for the response.

I am using a compact with a T1. The system is usually around 7ft to my left and 2ft behind. The gig I am currently playing doesnt allow for too much more distance than that.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Gary,

It seems counterintuitive but try moving the Compact a foot or two closer. We are dealing with not just the sound volume of the Compact but also the wavelength of the note and the where the guitar body is in relation to the Compact. You can change that relationship by moving the Compact a foot or two in any direction.

If that doesn't help...
Do you have any kind of guitar preamp or DI (that you might have used in the past) that has a phase switch? You could try that to see if it helps.
fearless1
Registered since

Feb 20, 2004

Hey Gary,

You might have already found a solution but if not... Your using a T1 so you should be able to use the parametric eq to control the low end feedback. D3 is around 146-147 hertz so set your center frequency to one of those frequecnies. Next set the width or Q to around .2 to .5 (this # represents octave). Finally begin reducing the db's while playing until you get the result you like. Hope this helps. Sorry I could not be more specific on these adjustments since I don't own a T1. But, all parametric eq's work the same way.

Cheers
gazbhoy
Registered since

May 13, 2009

Moving a little closer helped a little however the problem remained.

I have overcome the issue by setting the parametric eq to note A#3, reducing it by -13 and setting the width at around 2.5.

I am unsure why this solves the problem but notching the actual note (D3) does not. I suppose the main thing is I can now play my gigs with confidence.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Gary,

Thanks for letting us that you found a solution.

It sounds like you had to do some experimenting to find it. But that's encouraging too.

I really appreciate that you came back to tell us about it.
Dan_Cornett
Registered since

Jun 6, 2005

quote:
Originally posted by gazbhoy:
I have overcome the issue by setting the parametric eq to note A#3, reducing it by -13 and setting the width at around 2.5.
That is an interesting frequency point, because it is not an apparent direct harmonic of the string, but does seem to be a result of the resonance of the string and the instrument.

This, to me reinforces the best parameter EQ approach of first AMPLIFYING the ParaEQ while sweeping to find the "offending" frequency, then removing it by changing to a "notch" (negative gain). This Wiki article discusses dealing with vocal mic feedback, but the basic approach is useful for ANY instrument with a pickup which is (can) cause feedback.

quote:
... I can now play my gigs with confidence.
That's the best thing!