cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

Problem with Tonematch knobs...

I opened my T1 yesterday after not having used it in some months (had a gig last night). I discovered that the three upper adjustment knobs were very tacky, both on top of and on the sides of each control knob. At first I thought something had been spilled on them (though I knew that didn't happen). Then I thought perhaps the heat in my garage or trunk melted them, but the lower channel control knobs are fine. I tried cleaning them with naptha, but they definitely don't have anything on them, they're melted.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I'm going to try and contact Bose to purchase some replacement knobs, hopefully they'll do that. I was just interested if this ever happened to anyone else?

I purchased this T1 several years ago and have used it extensively without incident.
27 REPLIES 27
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

Re: Problem with Tonematch knobs...

Hi Tres,

Yes I have noticed that a few times. I think I just used 409 spray or such to clean them.
A sticky, almost gummy feel to them. The back of my car is probably hotter than your garage, but it does happen from time to time.

I was curious as to why, but they seem to clean up OK.
It would be nice to know if they have replacement knobs available that don't do that.
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

Thanks, Joel, I'll try that. Funny it's never happened before...

I ordered replacements this morning (free under warranty) but they didn't mention anything about "new" knob material; in fact they had not heard of this before.

I also noticed my phantom power knob (which I never use) has the same phenom...that requires replacement of the switch, though, so they would not send me a new one (for free that is).

Very odd that none of the other knobs exhibit any deterioration at all, though... Confused
Joelheck
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2007

Your right Tres, I noticed it a while ago on the Phantom button.
Must be a Florida problem.
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

Nope, not just a Florida problem. Of course I live just 35 miles from FL Smile
The bulk of my gigs are outdoors and all of my small volume knobs are sticky, gummy.

I'm going to re-engineer my knobs anyway, they are way too small to grasp on the fly, especially with my oversize right hand picking fingernails.
Taller and skinny would work even if I have to remove them to put the lid back on.
Using thousands of tracks, I do a fair amount of volume adjusting and I'm not interested in tweaking each one so I just work as a fader jocky and the small knobs are not only a pain but because they are so squat, I sometimes hit the mute...fun times running loud tracks.

I'll post some pics of my mad scientist knobs Eek

leo
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

It could be oil off of your fingers and heat and humidity in the South. I have noticed it to.
theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

Thanks Roy. Probably the heat and humidity. You and I both work the same conditions (we live 60 miles apart).
I suppose there could be some oils, but my ol construction fingers are dry as old bones.

I'm also starting to use a thumbpick more and more, so between it and my big index fingernail I have put on every month or so, the trim knobs are very difficult and the volume not much easier. But I'm going to create a set of knobs almost like I was designing for someone with finger disabilities.

to be cont...

Leo
Troisnoir
Registered since

Nov 30, 2007

What I find interesting is:

1. All the other knobs (which would have to have been subjected to the same heat) are fine, and
2. If it's a chemical thing, why would the knob I haven't touched since I bought it 5 years ago be affected?
Hmmmmmmm.........
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

quote:
Hmmmmmmm.........

Hmmmmmmmm.........
valvenerd
Registered since

Jun 8, 2008

I'm having this sticky knob problem for first time.
It manifested this summer in Sydney Australia - after I've owned T1s for 5 years. Its also on my Hercules microphone stand height adjustment grip.

Others on this forum have concluded its caused the heat & humidity, we have that in Sydney too - every year, not just this year that the stickiness manifested.

I was hoping that with the autumn cooler weather the sticky surfaces would harden and set to make it easier to clean off. It didn't.

Has anyone figured out how to prevent this stickiness?

As for cleaning it off , recommended 409 spray? For the benefit of those not in USA what is 409 spray?