theleo
Registered since

Sep 8, 2007

Re: Problem with Tonematch knobs...

Hi VN, like you I figured with the cooler weather the sticky-ness would have tightned up a bit and it has, either that or the layer that was sticky has worn away.

I don't have particularly large fingers and still have trouble with the knobs, I can only imagine the problems those with sausage fingers have.

Btw, "409" is a brand name here in the states and is just a kinda strong spray cleaner, I'm sure you have an equal in Oz.

Leo
hellboy
Registered since

Jan 16, 2008

I hear ya Valvenerd!

But I'm in Brisneyland (a LOT more humid than Sydney - I'm sure you're aware)
Would love to know what the Australian version of 409 is too - I don't want to damage my T1....!!)

HB
valvenerd
Registered since

Jun 8, 2008

Hi Hellboy,

I'm going to try cleaning them with Spray'n Wipe and a thick cloth - but I might wait a week until the weather gets cooler.

I find its best not to touch them if possible when they are sticky. Don't use a paper towel because it disintegrates and sticks to the knobs making a worse mess.

Valvenerd
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

With summer coming on I am not looking forward to the knob problem again. I see no response from anyone at Bose about this. HEY ARE YOU THERE
valvenerd
Registered since

Jun 8, 2008

Heres my latest update on the sticky knob problem......

Best solution so far is. ..... nail polish enamel!

The stickiness is apparently caused by decomposition of the plastic and the internet is full of bloggers asking the same question - how to clean it off. It has been widely reported problem on camera cases, guitar stands, car boot release mechanisms - and nobody has a good answer on how to fix it - apart from replace the plastic or rubber component. Once decomposition has started, not even cooler climate with harden it up.

No household cleaner I tried works, and it is reported that most solvents (acetone,methanol,toluene) make it worse apart from possibly Isopropyl Alcohol (propan-2-ol) which is now hard to get because it is apparently used in the manufacture of illicit drugs.

So I experimented with nail polish to put a hardened seal coating over the stickiness. I painted my Hercules microphone stand grip - and so far it has worked, however it is early days yet. If this coating stays dry and hard in the long term I might use it on my Tonematch knobs.

And just for the record, the colour I used - carribean sky blue. 🙂
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi valvenerd,

When you do the T1® - please post a picture.
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

That is a good idea. I was thinking of going to the craft store and get some small round flat cork and just glueing it to the top of the knobs
rainjaudon
Registered since

Sep 27, 2006

I took mine off last night while doing the firmware updates and such. (just had the first gig with the b2)

I used bumper sticker remover. Sprayed it on, wiped it off.
valvenerd
Registered since

Jun 8, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by ST:
Hi valvenerd,

When you do the T1® - please post a picture.

Ok. So I've actually done it now to a spare retired T1. I have painted the 3rd selector knob and the phantom switch. I have left the 1 & 2 selector knobs unpainted for comparison. I will observe this over time ( years) to see if the knobs deteriorate.

As of now, the painted knobs are perfectly functioning and easy to use, and feel better to touch than the unpainted sticky knobs.

Explanation notes.
I have five T1's. Three were purchased in Australia, one purchased in USA - between 2008 and 2010. The newest T1 is a 2012 unit which is a replacement unit for a T1 damaged in an electrical storm and paid for by my home insurance company.

All four of my original (2008-10) T1s now have the sticky knob problem. The 2012 replacement unit is not yet sticky.

This 'test' T1 unit was the one damaged in an electrical storm, the surge came thru the USB connection to computer - we lost much computer gear that day. So now I have a spare T1 that I would never use for a live performance - but I'll try knobs on. 😉
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Valvenerd,

Very cute. Nice colour. Were you going for a match with the lights? Is the backlight on the display toast?

PS
You can remove the knobs before you paint them. They pull straight out. It takes some convincing, but it can be done.