Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djdiddydavies
Registered since

May 15, 2009

Re: Problems with MegaSeg...

Hi,

Djay works for me on my 2 core duo macbook, i haven't tried it on my i5.
I think the problem with Megaseg is due to the USB 1.1 on the Bose T1 as a similar type problem is also reported on the Serato forums.

Is there not a Djay trial version you can test with?

Steve.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I think so. I'll check it when I get it this week.
MobileToonz
Registered since

Feb 13, 2010

I'm having problems with Megaseg and Im not using the T1, using the imic.

Djay will work just fine with what you are getting. It's a great little program.
djdiddydavies
Registered since

May 15, 2009

uummm, seems to rule out my theory re the 1.1USB then.

I've now gone back to using OTSav as my Duo Core lappy has had sound problems which i believe to be conneted to the Lion update for Megaseg.

OTSav - sweet as a nut, no problems!

Steve.
Dynamite DJs
Participant
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Got the MacBook pro with the i5. No problems with the t1 loosing USB connections. I've had it on djay all day yesterday with more than 5 minutes of pausing and no problems. I even have it hooked up to a powered USB hub which I couldn't do with the pc. The reason I have it hooked up to a USB hub is because I need more than two USB ports which the MacBook has.
nishkam
Registered since

Sep 15, 2011

Dear DJ-Diddy Davies,
I have a similar problem with Megaseg. When I close the lid of my Macpro only once and reopen it again, I have a little sounddropout in the the next tracks I am going to play with megaseg. it sounds a bit like in former days, when there was a scratch on a record.
Did you find anything out, how to avoid that. Can anybody help? I do´nt get an answer from Megaseg support. (Now I am using Lion, but the problem already occurred with panther)
Thank you

Nishkam

Originally posted by Dj Diddy Davies:
Hi Guys,

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro running Megaseg into a Bose T1 and L1 mk2. Connected via a USB A to B cable. All works fine.

Recently i've bought a back up Macbook Pro, a 2011 i5 chipset. Again running Megaseg.

My problem with this one is that if a track is paused (it seems for anything over 3 1/2 mins) the connection between the T1 and the lappy drops out.

I have experimented quite a lot to try and narrow this down. The time seems to be a consistent 3 1/2 mins. It doesn't happen if i run iTunes, no time limit occurs. Nor does it happen if i connect to the T1 from the 1/8 headphone socket.

The only way to reconnect is to restart megaseg or to shut of the T1 and then turn it back on.

Apple support have gone through it and believe it not to be a fault or an error from their operating system. Mainly as it works fine through iTunes.

It's a problem particularly at weddings when i often have to use a significant pause during speeches etc.

Do you have any ideas? or a work around?

I've also tried contacting Megaseg, but haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks

Steve.
djdiddydavies
Registered since

May 15, 2009

Hi Nishkam,

Regarding the audio problems i was having. Unfortunately the chap from Megaseg suggested a few things to do with encoding, but i'd already done them. He then said it was probably to do with The T1 being 1.1USB and Lion not liking it and that was that. Not impressed!

Megaseg is great on my older Duo Core Mac book Pro, but my new on with the i5 chipset, it's unusable.

I've been so disgusted with Megaseg that i've now gone back to running OTSav via XP in Bootcamp and am currently trying Mac based DJ software. Currently looking at Traktor Pro 2 or Virtual DJ 7.

Regards

Steve.
ptm
Registered since

Aug 10, 2012

Have the same sort of issue. Megaseg response to commands slows down. Other features disappear (wave form).

Really appreciate you 4u2 documenting your experience. Very helpful.

Will use Imic until further notice.

Thank you.
djdiddydavies
Registered since

May 15, 2009

I just gave up with Megaseg and went back to using OTSav, though now moving over to Virtual DJ.
Media4u2
Registered since

Jan 31, 2008

quote:
Originally posted by PTM:
Have the same sort of issue. Megaseg response to commands slows down. Other features disappear (wave form).

Really appreciate you 4u2 documenting your experience. Very helpful.

Will use Imic until further notice.

Thank you.

I have started a new thread with the latest information, along with a summary of my quest to resolve this issue, but on the chance that you haven't seen that thread, I'll briefly address it here.

ST's suggestion of turning down the volume to zero on the T1 is what I did for a while, but that is very unsatisfactory at best. The music keeps playing and the USB connection is not lost, but your playlist just keeps on rolling while you're up at the head table making introductions, listening to the blessing and maybe three toasts, one of which may ramble on for seven or more minutes. By the time you get back to the table, you have to stop the playlist, back it up however many songs you've ”lost“ while you were gone, and then start with the proper song. If you forget and just bring the music up, you might find the playlist rolled into a song that you definitely DO NOT want to be played at that time (bride/groom's first dance song or special music requested for later during dinner by the family, etc.). So--it works, but it's an unwieldy work-around.

Dynamite DJs is having no problem with the i5 version of the MacBook Pro and a separate hub. My older MacBook Pro can survive a pause of 18 hours and still pick up on cue, so we know that Apple USED to make it in a way that works with the T1.

On the other hand, DJ Diddy says his i5 processor, just isn't working. So... that may mean that Dynamite's running of the the USB through a separate hub is the answer. The Mac reads THAT hub and doesn't drop the USB audio to IT, and the hub is OK with the ToneMatch USB audio... result is perfect! But do you want to have to run the sound through another hub if you don't have to?

PTM, that is exactly what I found to be the case with MegaSeg after the USB connection is lost: the whole program slows down and has at least a 2-second response time to ALL commands. The only way that *I* have been able to correct this has been through turning off the T1, rebooting the MacBook, and turning the T1 back on as the Mac reboots. Then it will work. BUT... who has that kind of time to spare at a gig?

For me, the BEST solution is the use of the Griffin iMic or the Behringer U-something USB audio devices. They are small and efficient and do what you want them to do.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING the iMIC and the direct USB audio feed from the MacBook into the ToneMatch:

1. With the iMic, you have to run the audio through Channel 4/5. With the USB direct, it goes directly into the T1 and leaves Channel 4/5 open. This means you can hook up something else to Channel 4/5. And with the ToneMatch's limited inputs, you may find you need every input you can get.

1a. Benefit of having Channel 4/5 open:
Let's say you're doing a wedding ceremony. You need microphones for the officiant, the groom (which also picks up the bride), a reader, and a soloist. The bride also wants you to play a recording that her father made years ago of the bride's grandmother singing, and it's on a cassette. Hook up the three mics to Channels 1, 2, and 3. Plug in their cassette player into Channel 4/5. Run ceremony music through the USB Audio direct feed.

2. If you connect the USB Audio directly into the ToneMatch, the volume is directly controlled by the Master Audio (In other words, TRIM on Channel 4/5 has no effect.) This is a blessing and a curse. If you turn the Master Audio down so that you get greater volume control in the Channel 4/5 knob, then you have to compensate for that by increasing trim and/or gain in Channel 1 where you have your main microphone.

3. If you connect the audio through an iMic into Channels 4/5, you have greater control of the volume by using both the Trim and the volume control knob for the channel. Overall, the volume out into the L1 seems to be somewhat less than that which can be achieved (with good sound) by using the direct USB connection. For some reason, there seems to be more ”punch“ with the direct USB sound.

I hope this has been helpful. See the other thread for more info on the ”end“ of the problem.