cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikep_2
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

Projector / Screen setup for weddings etc

I have been asked more lately about having a projector for slideshows at weddings. I'm hoping some of the other wedding folks here would share some insight. What spec's should be minimum for a projector (lumens, xga/wxga, contrast ratio) and screen size for mostly wedding reception slideshows?

Also what is a reasonable charge when using this as an added value item to dj services?

Thanks in advance for your input.
7 REPLIES 7
DJ JD BASS
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Re: Projector / Screen setup for weddings etc

1500-2000 Lumens - IMO should be good.

A 60" roll down screen should work for most events.

Contrast ratio: I've heard the higher the better... although I'd choose a higher quality projector or a high contrast R.
I have been using a older Panasonic that has a 300 to 1 contrast ratio, but was a 2,000 projector when it came out 9 years ago & have gotten some pretty good results.

You might also want to look into getting a Lycra screen such as a Dragonboard for rear projection. Depending on the space I have, I have found it quite useful on occasion!

As for what to charge hard to say... it really depends on your market... I'd say between $100-200.
mbm
Registered since

Sep 9, 2008

I offer two screen options:
A 6x8 Da-Lite fastfold screen and a standard 4ft tripod screen, use the 6x8 screen most of the time if the venue is large.

My projectors are either a Dell 2400MP 2000 lumen, or a Veiwsonic Pro8500 with 5000 lumen.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

I have used a rear projector with a Global Arch Truss, Lycra screen and draped the truss.

If I were to buy another projector,I would choose a short throw unit with a little more brightness.
Also, I no longer hang lights on the truss. It is too short to hang them and very difficult to mount fixtures on top as I did here.For me the truss is just for video. I discourage the big screen and charge $450+ for the big screen option because I don't like schlepping the truss.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

We offer this 21" Samsung table top display. I made the gold frame from trim board and attach it with Velcro.

I originally made this for sales presentations but it became so popular, we decided to offer it as a closer.

We don't do video on it. It has a USB port but we just plug a jump drive into it and run a slide show on a loop all night. Looks and works great on the guest book table with the B&G's engagement photos.
mikep_2
Registered since

Apr 14, 2010

I appreciate the great info here from all of you other professionals. i'm going to have to just go for it and feel out what people are willing or interested in paying for the added service.
The digital frame is another cool idea as a smaller footprint add-on.
Lou_D
Registered since

Aug 29, 2007

quote:
Originally posted by mikep:
I appreciate the great info here from all of you other professionals. i'm going to have to just go for it and feel out what people are willing or interested in paying for the added service.
The digital frame is another cool idea as a smaller footprint add-on.

Yes it is sort of a giant digital picture frame.
The thing is so no maintenance!

I'm sure you couuld get an extra $35 to #50 for it but we usually just toss it in with whatever package we are selling them. No big investment, I think we paid $195 at Costco.

I never knew it would run a slide show directly off a jump drive until owning it for a while.

For sales consultations we plug our laptop in and have a slide show running on Ots AVDJ while we talk. Then we run a few videos of our weddings and our MCing to demo our skills.

We also go on line with it to show them how our DJ Intelligence planning and music pages look and work.

Yes it is bigger than an Ipad but so much nicer looking and I can face the client while we talk but still look at my computer screen.

We carry the whole thing in an artist's portfolio we picked up at Michael's.

In closing, we usually say something like, "And if you book with us today we will include the tabletop video display for your engagement pictures".
bobbyclark
Registered since

Oct 13, 2008

I have a Dell 3300 Projector and 6 foot DA-Lite Folding Screen. I have used it maybe 10 times in 2 years. There is a lot of venues that offer this already. For most of my venues, it is installed in the venue already.
I DJ'd about 15 weddings last year that the photographer did the slide show with the projector and screen. They patched me the audio from thier laptop. I thought it was a wonderful way of not having to bring my projector and screen. However, I now think of the UP sales that I lost because of it.
Live and learn...projectors have come down a lot in price from when they were first introduced. I would maybe even consider a FLAT panel TV and a light stand. I have been to WALMART and window shopped for LCD TVs lately. With less money (about twice the difference), I can get a 60" or larger LCD TV weighing in at 40 lbs or less. With a few U shaped brackets bolted to the back of the TV and a sturdy Light Stand. You have a 1080 screen and high quality video display!