Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

RE: Does Tone match make a big difference and how to mix

Hi everyone first post. I own an S1 pro a F1 head and an L1 M2 system which is my main rig. I use a Mackey Profx mixer and hope to get a tone match system. Just a couple quick question how much of a difference does having a tone match make? Also I know NOTHING about mixing and generally just fiddle around half of the first set. 

Anyone have any advice in regards to mixing for acoustic guitar and vocals? I know its a loaded question but was hoping for a ball park idea cause I literally half the time just get frustrated and put everything in the middle.

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: RE: Does Tone match make a big difference and how to mix

Hi Alexwyoungmusic,

Welcome to the Bose Portable PA Community.

That's a great question.  Please check out this article

ToneMatch

People who have a good ear and plenty of experience will tell you they don't need a ToneMatch mixer.  And I can tell you, having one has saved me countless hours in sound checks and experimentation. 

Does that help?
ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 24, 2019

i agree.
I use an L1 for both solo acoustic and band.
I was using the Tonematch for just solo and a Mackie for band, but use Tonematch for both now... its just so much easier to set up (and neater)

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 3, 2018

I have an L1B2/T1 setup with Channel 1 for my vocals and Channel 2 my guitar (Solo work setup). When my 4-piece plays, I hook them up through a Soundcraft EPM8 with the vocals panned left and run into Channel 3, and the instruments panned hard right into Channel 4. This works great, reduces setup time, and allows me to take advantage of the effects available in the T1. 

I have a S1 that I use without the T1 for a lot of stuff as well (e.g., busking and smaller venues). I even use it as a monitor sometimes with the L1, depending on the venue we play.

For 90% of what I do, the above works great. I'm also in a 9-piece, horn-based rock-n-soul band and we use a contract audio guy. Guess what he uses...yep, a Bose F1 Model 812 system!

Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

The main thing about mixing is keep it simple.  I've been doing it for my bands, festivals and in the recording studio since 1968 and make fewer "moves and tweaks" every year.  🙂

The most important things to remember are "signal path", use the minimum of "moves" and subtractive EQ is better than additive (for instance roll off the bass rather than crank up the highs and mids then turn up the mains a tad!

Signal path: something's not making noise in the speakers, start at the source: instrument, microphone and test each piece between that and the speakers.  For sound, same thing.  I play acoustic guitar and sing. 

The first thing I've done is put the best pickup system I can find into my guitar and then use very high quality barely audible chorus to fatten up my guitar signal...THEN into the mixer.  Although lately I've run my vocal mic and guitar through an AER Tommy Emmanuel Amp with it's pristine reverb and tone and then run one cable from the DI out to the mixer - and can mix my own sound and EQ on the AER with the mixer flat or when the Bose L1S is "acting up", roll off the bass a bit on the Soundcraft.

I've found that at our regular gig through a Soundcraft mixer to a Bose L1S, we often have to add just a little middle and high EQ and roll off the bass just a tad.  Again, SMALL moves using one's ear as the final judge.

Of course, I put together the best possible mix possible in the Practice Studio first and then just make minor adjustments needed depending on the venue.

There, you just got the essence of 51 years of experience and a year and a half of the sound and recording classes at a Music Magnet Community College Course.  😉

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Thanks for the help everyone got a T1 last week excited to try it out. Meant to reply sooner but forgot my login. 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Alexwyoungmusic,

Great to hear from you again. Congratulations on getting your T1.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Hi Alexwyoungmusic

To your question below, I have a few thoughts (Mixing on T1 for Vocal / Acoustic Guitar)...

"Anyone have any advice in regards to mixing for acoustic guitar and vocals? I know its a loaded question but was hoping for a ball park idea cause I literally half the time just get frustrated and put everything in the middle."

My Thoughts (Ball Park Ideas) on using your new T1 Mixer...

You might consider starting with the singer songwriter preset scene on the T1 Mixer, it has a vocal setup on channel 1 and a acoustic guitar setup on channel 2, Keys on Channel 3, and DJ/Music on channel 4/5

Use the Tonematch settings for your specific mic /guitar or the generic if not available (I believe generic handheld mics and steel String w/piezo are selected in the scene)

Start with the zEQ flat, you can adjust Low, Mid, High to brighten or darken sound of vocal or guitar as desired.

Apply some light compression to vocal (Comp1) and guitar (Comp2), this helps smooth out the peaks, can help with feedback problems, and can help get a louder overall signal

Apply light reverb or delay to your vocal, avoid overdoing it less is usually better.

Apply (or not) Mod-Delay-Reverb to guitar per your preferences.

You can use the Para EQ to sweep and cut acoustic guitar frequencies that might be starting to feed back.

• Go to tuner mode, play and hold the offending note, the tuner will display the note i.e. C3 (example) etc...
  • Go to Para EQs and sweep the Freq knob until you hit the same note C3 (around 129-131 Hz), play and hold the offending note and cut the level knob to reduce or remove the offending frequency. I start with the width at .50 oct or so and increase as needed.
  • (not a perfect science, may need to play with this a bit)

Anyway, Good Luck with your setup... The T1 is one great mixer

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Yeah the thing is amazing I actually realized I own the T8S not the T1 but that doesn't make that big of a difference does it?  On another note does anyone use the tone match mixers with their S1? I own one of those too.

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Alexwyoungmusic,

Alexwyoungmusic posted:

Yeah the thing is amazing I actually realized I own the T8S not the T1

Very cool.

but that doesn't make that big of a difference does it? 

Same ToneMatch technology, more channels, stereo, headphone output, visible meters - more? see: Comparison to T1® ToneMatch audio engine

On another note does anyone use the tone match mixers with their S1? I own one of those too.

It depends on the situation. There are lots of times when I plug my guitar and a microphone directly into the S1 Pro and do the gig. Other times I like to have more control or flexibility so I'll use a ToneMatch mixer.  

ST