Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ccos20
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Recommended Guitar Settings T4s / L1 Compact - Acoustic Duo

Looking for setting suggestions on the T4s playing through an L1 Compact for an acoustic duo.  The overall volume is fine, but I feel the guitars sound is kind of thin.  Odd because I play an SJ200, using the preset for it.  What do you suggest the guitar volume be set to?  I feel I may not have it loud enough at the source.  Typically it has been at the midpoint, or 12:00 on a dial.  I also play a Martin and have the same issue. coming from an 8 channel Yamaha mixer, with 2 mains and a monitor, this is quite different.  Any suggestions would be appreciated,

7 REPLIES 7
GeneS
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2018

Re: Recommended Guitar Settings T4s / L1 Compact - Acoustic Duo

I have the T1 - I assume this would be similar for T4s - I just picked up a Gibson Hummingbird Studio (that I dig!) and I'm running through a TC Helicon VL Play -  I wasn't crazy about the Hummingbird preset - so i tried other models, and finally found the Taylor T5 model - it seems to add a nice shimmer and body that I really dig... YMMV, of course - but trying some of the other presets might lead you to something better. 

<edit...>

Sorry -after i posted this I noticed you are using an L1 Compact - I'm using and L1 M2 B2... I don't think that necessarily negates what I wrote... 

ccos20
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Hmmm, I will try more presets.  Where do you have your guitar volume set?

ccos20
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Hummingbird... nice!!!

GeneS
Collaborator
Registered since

May 27, 2018

I just strum and wail so the guitar volume is almost allways all the way on. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ccos20,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community.   Welcome!

ccos20 posted:

Looking for setting suggestions on the T4s playing through an L1 Compact for an acoustic duo.  The overall volume is fine, but I feel the guitars sound is kind of thin.  Odd because I play an SJ200, using the preset for it.  What do you suggest the guitar volume be set to?  I feel I may not have it loud enough at the source.  Typically it has been at the midpoint, or 12:00 on a dial.  I also play a Martin and have the same issue. coming from an 8 channel Yamaha mixer, with 2 mains and a monitor, this is quite different.  Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Just checking in - are you connecting the SJ200 directly to L1 Compact Channel 2 with the ToneMatch switch set to Guitar (up position)?

If the guitar sounds thin, yes, please turn up the volume on the guitar. The 12:00 o'clock position is a good place to start but go ahead and explore the sound as you turn it up.

You can turn up the guitar and the L1 Compact volume until you see red on the LED, or you hear distortion. 

Try this with the Martin too.

How do the guitars sound now?

ST

ccos20
Participant
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

Hi.  Thank you so much for this, will try it today.  I am running the SJ into a T4S XLR channel, then plugging that into the L1, Tonematch switch set to bottom position “Line”.  I will try the guitar volume louder, until I see red, at that point I will manage volume from the mixer.  Thank you, I will let you know!

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi ccos20,

I'm sorry I missed the first line in your post, and that you have a T4S.

In the video we're using a T8S, but the principles are the same with the T4S.

Gain Staging the T4S

Use the same approach with your Guitar.

At the beginning of the video, I'm doing a factory reset so we don't bump into any old settings. You do not have to do a factory reset before you set the input trim on your ToneMatch mixer.

The trim controls across the top will be different
The trim controls across the top of your ToneMatch mixer will likely be different. This is because the output levels of your input sources will likely be different. This is normal.
Mixing - Use the volume controls not the trim controls
Once you have set the input trim, you should not have to change it until you change the input source (e.g. different microphone, singer, or instrument). Do not use the trim control to change the channel volume. Use the channel volume control.
Scenes
Saved Scenes do not capture the trim, channel volume, or Master Volume settings.

Set Up Your Source

Set your source at the maximum that it will be when performing.

• Microphone
Sing directly into the microphone using close microphone technique (lips just brushing the windscreen). Sing as loudly as you will sing during your performance. You want to set the Trim to work at your maximum volume.
  • Instrument
Turn your input as high as it is likely to go during performance.

Trim Controls

The ToneMatch Mixer[1] trim controls for Channels 1-4 (1-8 for the T8S ToneMatch® mixer) provide a significant gain increase when you reach the upper limit. This increase in gain is normal operation.

Most sources like typical microphones and piezo pickup systems can provide enough level without the need to add significant gain from the trim control. Certain sources like passive acoustic guitar pickups require additional gain and in these cases it can be necessary to set the trim level to the upper range of the control. When the trim control is set this high you may notice the gain change. This is normal operation. If you want to run the trim control at lower settings we recommend using a preamp or simple stomp box level booster.

Also - if you have a 1/4 (6.3mm) Tip Sleeve cable - try that between the guitar and the T4S. You may get a better impedance match.

T4S to L1 Compact

Leave the T4S and L1 Compact turned off until you have things connected

1. Connect the ToneMatch Power Supply to the T4S (T4S power supply sold separately)
  2. Connect the T4S Right Output to L1 Compact channel 2

• Use a 1/4 inch Tip-Ring-Sleeve cable for best results
      See the source image
  3. On the L1 Compact:
    • Set the channel volume off for channel 1
    • Set the channel volume off for channel 2
  4. Turn on the T4S
    • On the T4S
      1. Set the Rotary Selector to PAN/AUX
      2. Press the CH EDIT button for each channel you are using and pan the input hard RIGHT
      3. Note: Steps 1 and 2 above are one-time-only. You don't have to change this unless you get another L1 Compact and want to run in stereo
  5. Connect all your sound sources to the T4S
  6. Turn on the L1 Compact
  7. Bring up the channel volume on the L1 Compact to the center position

Control the overall volume with the T4S master volume.
If you see the L1 Compact clipping (red light) or you hear audible distortion, turn down the volume on channel 2.