Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Reconsidering Stereo

I'm reconsidering stereo for small venues.

A little history

I used to run stereo for my electric guitar (with loads of effect), but I set that aside in June 2004. I remember that distinctly because that's when I got my first L1®.  Since then I've run multi-mono. That means I run every sound source on the stage through only one loudspeaker. In the early days, that meant one L1®  for each performer. 

I appreciated the Cocktail Party Effect and veered away from stereo for guitars.  I was using L1®s for all my sound reinforcement needs. The L1®s have such wide horizontal dispersion that you can use just one in many situations. You don't need two to cover a room.

Fast forward several years and the L1® Compact made it even easier to set up and tear down for smaller venues. It sounded great and had horizontal dispersion similar to the larger L1®s.  I tried stereo using two L1® Compacts. I didn't need two to cover a room so hauling around twice as much gear wasn't worth the effort.

When the F1 Model 812 came out in 2015, I started experimenting with stereo again. A couple of F1 Model 812s can sound great for stereo, but I wouldn't consider bringing two F1 stacks (F1 Model 812 with F1 Subwoofer) to a small solo gig any more than I'd bring two L1® Compacts.

A little present - the S1 Pro system

I have been exploring using the S1 Pro system with Guitar Amp Modellers.  Toward the end of that thread, I said,

I almost never run stereo outs from my Kemper Profiling Amp. It's too much gear to carry (two L1 Compacts or two L1 Model IIs - I mean really!).

And when you run stA ereo you lose the Cocktail Party Effect  when playing with others. All of a sudden, the guitar sound (no matter how glorious), is everywhere.

I just tried out running stereo with two S1 Pros. Oh my, it's glorious.  I would definitely do this for a small solo gig. If I use the Boss GT-1 I could run everything on batteries.

This is a lot of sound for 30 pounds.  (13.6 kilograms - but I liked the rhyme better).

Food for thought.

Since then I've happily spent hours playing through two S1 Pros. Because the horizontal dispersion is 100 degrees, you can justify running two to cover a room. You don't have to use two but makes it easier to get the sound where you need it.

The T4S ToneMatch® mixer is stereo and it is easy to manage two S1 Pros with it. I had planned to keep a T1® to use with an S1 Pro. And now, I'm thinking about a T4S and a couple of S1 Pros. The sound of stereo is just that good.

ST 

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Re: Reconsidering Stereo

Nice food for thought ST! Many benefit from your wisdom in the community... thanks for doing what you do!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 17, 2010

I totally agree that anything in stereo sounds better. I still play thru a guitar amp sometimes, when I'm not using my L1s.  I have a Roland JC and a Fender Ultimate chorus which are both stereo, and the difference is huge, even though the speakers are right next to each other in the speaker cabinets.

I plan to try playing stereo when I receive the T8S.  I will probably try it with the Compacts.  Even though they have a wider dispersion, the fact that the sound is panned should help with the sound interference or cancelling (muddiness). I'm hoping it still retains the Bose sound, but just enhances it with the stereo spectrum.   I'd like to avoid buying two S1 units.  Bose sound in stereo, if it works right, will have sound coming from everywhere, in a nice way. Can't wait to try it out. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

Stereo is relivent for headphones and for those sitting in directly in the center of the stereo image sources. In a live setting stereo imaging is tainted by ones position relitive to the the source . That being said... I have found it useful at times to ward off phase cancellation when audio sources are to close together.  

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi JD,

I think your ideas are applicable when we're trying to reproduce stereo as intended by the producer of pre-recorded music.

jdbassentertainment.com posted:

Stereo is relivent for headphones and for those sitting in directly in the center of the stereo image sources. In a live setting stereo imaging is tainted by ones position relitive to the the source .

Stereo can used effectively in a live show, particularly if the audience is within the sound field of both speakers. It doesn't have to be ideal to be a perfect show.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

So your using Stereo in an artistic way not so much as a balance point like I typically do... got it! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

I play a Tyros 5 keyboard with one Bose S1 pro. Since many sounds in the Tyros are stereo sampled, I am considering of buying a second Bose S1 pro. I guess I just have to connect one Bose to the L-output and the other to the R-output to obtain a better (stereo) sound, and I don’t have to use a mixer. Anybody has experience or advice ? Thanks

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Alex,

Thank you for joining the Bose Portable PA Community. 

I don't play a Tyros 5, but it sounds like you have the connections right. 

The best way to know how it will sound with to S1 Pro systems is to pick up a second one and try it.  If yet it from Bose, you'll have 45 days to check it out in all the settings where you perform.

I enjoy stereo with two S1 Pro systems, and it's a great experience to be in the middle of the stereo field. When I perform with others, I usually run mono, because that fits better with peoples' expectations. We rarely hear electric guitar in stereo - and we expect to hear electric guitar from a specific location on the stage - near the guitarist. 

I have heard masterful, amazing sounds from stereo keyboards in performance.    If you try it, please come back and tell us what you hear.

Thanks,

ST

.. from Bose

Satisfaction is guaranteed on all Bose® products purchased by consumers directly from Bose. We want you to be thrilled, so if you're not satisfied with your purchase for any reason, simply return it within the 30-day* trial period for a full refund.
*45 days for L1® systems.
-- Source: Returning an Order Bose Returns

If you are looking to purchase a system through an authorized Bose dealer, please consult with them regarding their return policy.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

@ST

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, in stereo sampled keyboards you probably need a stereo setup to keep the quality of the sounds. Important for me is that I connect two bose S1 pro to each of the L and R outputs on the keyboard. So no need for a mixer. The only thing to do then is to balance the used channels on the two boses exactly the same (reverb, bass, treble and volume) with the tone match off. Would that be correct ?

kind regards

Highlighted
Registered since

Oct 20, 2016

May I ask if anyone has any experience of running a pair of (old) L1 model 1 's in stereo?

I'm a solo performer using backing tapes so I'm not concerned about the cocktail effect that ST mentions.

I (hope) feel that this will "fill out" my sound.

I often play support and my system may be beautifully clear but I suffer from the perception that I am very quiet when compared with a full "taditional rock band with drums.