Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

Reluctant Users

In an earlier post I mentioned using the L1 for a very high profile gig at a local hotel. I thought it would be useful to use the system with the acts I've booked prior to the event, so I put out feelers to see if either was gigging.

One of the acts, a jazz duo (guitar/piano/vocal) is playing a corporate event this week, so I offered to bring the L1 and take care of their sound for the evening.

It's been like trying to sell them a used car! They are so convinced they need monitors that they are willing to use their beat up old system (which sounds terrible) rather than give the L1 a try. I finally convinced them by telling them I will bring monitors along just in case!
8 REPLIES 8
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Re: Reluctant Users

Hi Thundercranium,

It makes me smile to see a new L1 user follow the path that I have been on since 2004.
I feel your pain, believe me.
It boggles the mind doesn't it?

Smile
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

I will post pictures later. I played a local awards show that I do every year. Last night I shared the stage with another local band. They bugged me all night long about tying my L1 into their system. It ended when they heard me play and all the comments on how great I sounded.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Thundercranium,

quote:
Originally posted by Thundercranium:
In an earlier post I mentioned using the L1 for a very high profile gig at a local hotel. I thought it would be useful to use the system with the acts I've booked prior to the event, so I put out feelers to see if either was gigging.

One of the acts, a jazz duo (guitar/piano/vocal) is playing a corporate event this week, so I offered to bring the L1 and take care of their sound for the evening.

It's been like trying to sell them a used car! They are so convinced they need monitors that they are willing to use their beat up old system (which sounds terrible) rather than give the L1 a try. I finally convinced them by telling them I will bring monitors along just in case!

I appreciate that you are trying to help and to share your good experiences with the L1®, and I imagine that you are hoping that your contribution (helping) will improve the overall sound at the event. In this case, if you feel "It's been like trying to sell them a used car!" then just step back and let their show go on without you.

quote:
They are so convinced they need monitors that they are willing to use their beat up old system (which sounds terrible) rather than give the L1 a try."

At this very moment, you and I are in the same boat - answering a question that has not been asked. That's shakey ground at best.

quote:
Originally posted by Thundercranium:
The stage is rectangular, app 16' wide by 12' deep. The room is quite large, 100' wide by 60' deep, the stage being on the long wall. I have only had my L1/T1 for a few weeks and this is the first time I've used it in a room this size.

You might recall that when you first joined the forum, you got some great advice from Drumr - to get some experience with your L1® before taking on a critical gig. He said, "Herein lies the problem...you want the system to sound perfect your first time out using it."

It sounds like you are considering doing this for someone else, and they are reluctant at that, AND they are insisting on doing things "their way". I think you could let this one go.

Now if they hear you perform and ASK you to do the sound for them, then do it on your terms (skip the monitors) or don't do it at all.

Please understand: I really appreciate and commend you for what I perceive to be your intentions. And if I am understanding those intentions correctly, then I share those. But if the other performers are reluctant and insisting that you compromise the L1® approach (monitors)... if anything goes wrong (feedback in front of a live audience) the person with his/her hands on the controls (you!) will be blamed. There are times to step up, and times to step back.

But then - you didn't ask me for this... and they didn't ask you to do the sound for them. It feels like I'm trying to sell you a used car.
DrumrPete
Advocate
Registered since

May 16, 2017

Tc,

You know, you'd think that Jazz Guys, being of the quieter, yet dynamic variety of musician would totally get the L1 approach, but in my experience, they are the most stubborn hold outs. Same goes for an old country band that I recently hooked up with. It seems that they all are attached to an old style of music, along with an old way of thinking about sound.

I know a jazz quartet whose singer has been using an L1 for a couple years for his vocal, yet their bassist is always wanting to bring his tiny speakers-on-a-stick to "get more coverage" in the room. What The Heck?

My country band, plays very quietly on stage, the PA however, is huge, and I'm sure the FOH vocals are far too loud for the un-amplified instruments, I know the monitors sure are loud. That takes our stage volume up, and hurts my ears. I don't understand why they want to drag around a huge rack with a Yamaha 01V, EQ, amps, floor monitors, and big speakers with subs for three vocal mics! It hurts my brain just thinking about it.

I'm with ST, that sometimes you need to step back and just let it go. Although, it's taken a few years for my attitude to accept that.
roy_2
Registered since

Jul 26, 2007

On the job I did, even though the other band admitted that the Bose sounded amazing they were still convinced it would sound better through they're system also. I just smiled and did what I did.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Just for the record Thundercranium and I are working on the setup for the reluctant users in Jazz Duo - Help with setup, please.
Thundercranium
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 27, 2011

As it turns out, the jazz guys were pussycats. After I suggested we set up a simply as possible to see if it would work, they were converts from the first note!

Interestingly, the venue (a high end hotel) had provided a PA and soundman, but he was not made aware of my group being there. He had set up a pair of speakers on poles at either end of the long wall, and was set up for the other duo (fiddle/guitar) who were positioned at one end of a long stage. He did not have monitors for my guys, so we decided to use the L1 and run him a line allowing him to dial in a little "extra" if he felt it necessary to fill the room.

To keep it brief, the musicians were thrilled with the sound, the crowd made favourable comments, and the soundman didn't use his system at all.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Thundercranium,

Perfect.

quote:
As it turns out, the jazz guys were pussycats. After I suggested we set up a simply as possible to see if it would work, they were converts from the first note!

Thank you for coming back to tell us about it.