cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolraysings
Registered since

Jan 27, 2013

Retro 50s style Mics

Hey guys - I'm expanding my repertoire and going into restaurants and other venues where the demand is for a cool laid back jazzy mellow background set. I'm thinking of splashing out on a new retro style microphone and I know Shure does one - SM55? has anybody got experience of a good one which works well with the L1 mk 2 or other Bose system?
11 REPLIES 11
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Retro 50s style Mics

Hi @carolraysings,

I don't have direct experience with these but if I were going to dive in I'd go with a Shure Super 55 because it has a supercardioid polar pattern (tighter than the cardioid polar pattern of the Shure 55SH).

I would want the tighter polar pattern of the Shure Super 55 to make it easier control with respect to feedback.

What kind of microphone are you using now?
carolraysings
Registered since

Jan 27, 2013

I'm using Shure sm58 cordless which I love so it makes sense to stick with Shure. Is there a tonematch preset for the sm55?
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi @carolraysings,

Can you give us a link to the Shure SM55 (I can't find a listing for this one).

If you mean the Shure Super 55 then I'd use the Preset for the Shure Beta 58.
carolraysings
Registered since

Jan 27, 2013

I got it wrong. You're right. Will use the preset you mentioned. Many thanks!
Twiss
Registered since

Oct 24, 2007

I've just bought a Shure Super 55. Use it with the compact and the L1. Awesome mic, use the SM 58 setting on the L1
AJ CASALI
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2020

Hi

I have bee using the Shure 55sh for years -when we do a 50's and 60's set and find that it "brings me back" to the good old days!! No feedback problems with this mic at all. Of course it's properly gain staged and placement of L1 and Mic is of the utmost importance in "any" microphone no matter what the brand in my opinion. Just my two cents.

Aj
Class
Entertainment
"music is neither new or old...it just "is"
steview22
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2015

The Super 55 is a great mic which uses a modified version of of Beta 58a cartridge. Professional performance and classic 50s looks. I do solo jazz and swing among other things and have never had any issues with this mic, and it sounds awesome through the L1 using the Beta 58a preset.
hoohaa1
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 21, 2015

Hi folks.

New to the site and an owner of my first Bose L1 Model II set up. I've been gigging quite a lot recently - sometimes with my band but more frequently at parties and factions with myself and backing tracks.

I'm luck to have some properly recorded tracks (live big band recordings) from a previous show, and am using them with the Shure Super 55 which looks and sounds the business.

I do however notice feedback. the whole purpose of getting this system was to avoid not only the weight of my old PA, but to use it behind me as a monitor.

I notice if the mic isn't faced away from the PA you get feedback, but also if I try push the volume any higher than may 2/5 on the Bose Trim.

That has been fine so far, but wondering for bigger gigs, can I get some advice.

The reason I post here is I'm using this mic and wonder what servings best serve.

I don't currently have the T1 tone match - I'm using a yamaha mg124cx but considering buying T1 and selling old desk when can afford to.

Would appreciate any help for this relatively newbie to solo performing! I used to a show with a live big band and had someone else to worry about the sound!

Thanks. Liam
steview22
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 31, 2015

I also use the Super 55 with the L1. Do you have a Tonematch mixer? If so I suggest you use the Shure Beta 58a preset.

I have never had any serious issues with feedback, but the system is not immune if you push it very hard. The mic has a supercardiod pickup pattern so if you are off to the left or right of the system that might help a bit, but I suggest looking at the preset you are using first.