Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Re: Reverb for vocal

Thanks for the input guys.

I've decided to ditch the T4s idea in favour of a used T1, you can pick them up quite cheap on eBay.

The lack of independent volume control when using an iPad is a concern (think Bose missed a trick with this one!).

Cheers guys

Geoff

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Geoff,

Geoff posted:

Thanks for the input guys.

I've decided to ditch the T4s idea in favour of a used T1, you can pick them up quite cheap on eBay.

I thought (from your first post), that you already have a T1. No?

The T1 is great. I kept mine for solo gigs where I don't need to run two powered loudspeakers. (e.g. Gigs where I'll use the L1 Compact with a condenser microphone and guitar(s).)

The lack of independent volume control when using an iPad is a concern (think Bose missed a trick with this one!).

Cheers guys

Geoff

The Aux inputs are best suited to sound sources that have volume and tone controls.  If you want a physical volume control, then you need to use one of the full-functions channels.

Bose engineered the T4S ToneMatch mixer to have four full-function channels and two Auxiliary inputs. The Aux inputs 5/6 are routed directly to the Main Output. You can use the Pan and Level adjustments accessible through the PAN/AUX menu. There are no changes to routing, or signal processing available. Only T4S ToneMatch mixer channels one through four can be routed to the Aux Outputs.

Source: T4S Aux Inputs

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Hi ST

Yes I have a T1, I am looking for a second.

The idea is to keep systems separate but complete if you know what I mean, rather than unloading the T1 from the trunk with all my L1M2 bits I can get a second T1 and keep that one with the Compact gear.

There's method in my madness!

Geoff

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Geoff.

Geoff posted:

Hi ST

Yes I have a T1, I am looking for a second.

The idea is to keep systems separate but complete if you know what I mean, rather than unloading the T1 from the trunk with all my L1M2 bits I can get a second T1 and keep that one with the Compact gear.

Oh - I completely get this.

There's method in my madness!

Geoff

Equally mad.

ST

Highlighted
Registered since

Sep 17, 2019

Not mad at all, I go so far as to taking at least one spare for everything to every gig (ok if I have 2 FOH plus one or more monitors I'll consider that safe but I'll always have a spare guitar and mixer, we can share mics and not do the mandolin tunes, the bassist can us a PA cab or do everything on his Uke Bass or EUB is one breaks).

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

I use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic direct with guitar and vocal.  I purchased a rechargeable battery for the unit so my complete system doesn’t need power.  Works very well.

I just use a small amount of reverb and delay on my vocal and small reverb on my guitar.  The “tone” button on the Play Acoustic adds some compression and eq to the vocals that really helps.  It seems the eq is similar to the tonematch vocal setting on the S1 Pro.  

If you go this route, work with the gain staging.  You have three - gain at the mic from the Play Acoustic, output of the Play Acoustic and input at the S1 Pro.  I set the mic gain lower than the Play Acoustic Manual suggest (by a small amount), set the output to around 75% and then adjust the volume at the S1 Pro.  I adjust the volume level balance with the guitar output of the Play Acoustic and then make the S1 Pro the master volume.  I do any last tuning fine tuning at the Play Acoustic.  

Just my two cents, and you will need to experiment with what works for you.  Once you get this to your satisfaction, it’s a set it and forget it set up.  There is a main effects output that adjust level of the overall reverb and delay.  I use this to adjust last minute for the venue I am playing in.  I practice in a small, carpeted room, so I find I am mostly dialing this back a little at the venues I play.  

Hope this helps.  

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 8, 2012

I went back and reread the original post and saw you only wanted vocal effects.   The TC Helicon Mic Mechanic II works perfect for that.  Simple with dials on the front.  No menus to dig into to change settings.  

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Thanks for your posts guys, I have bought myself the TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 11 and used it at a gig last night and it works great.

Did a small intimate hotel bar and popped up the Compact and took my acoustic direct in and put my mic through the Helicon with a slight touch of reverb and got to admit that it sounded beautiful with the L1.

I was enjoying the sound so much I could have sat there all night and played!

This is why this forum is invaluable, so many positive and helpful hints and tips from fellow users, once again thanks guys.

Geoff

Highlighted
Registered since

Dec 22, 2008

I like the sound of the Strymon blueSky Reverbaration pedal sent through my mixer on vocals. A simple fix. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

I never use my L1 compact without my Helicon Mic Mechanic to add reverb and a touch of delay to my vocals...and the tone button on the pedal rocks.  So easy and portable.  I power it with a rechargeable battery.  Do it!  You’ll love it!