cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Reverb!

Hi All, First of all can I say thank god for forums and even more so for this one! I'm brand new to the PAS. I'm a solo artist using tracks played back from two mini disc players. My musical style is mainly soul ballad ie Alexander Oneil, Luther Vandross etc, so I need the type of rich reverb that usually accompanies that vocal style. One of the main reasons for getting the PAS was reducing the size and weight of my kit and I still have an old reverb unit(Fostex DE1) and small mixer (Mackie 1202VLZ). Without spending hours working through these posts trying to find someone with similar requirements, whats the best way to plug these into my PAS? oh yes my microphone is a sennheiser ew300 radio. I used my current setup on saturday (the whole mix through a behringer mixer)and was not completely convinced I was doing it correctly. There's lots of talk about plugging the mic into it's own input but I'm not sure how to go about incorporating the reverb unit. Whats the best socket(s) for the playback source? the manual says 3 and 4 but then it goes on to say to plug the mic reverb into 3??
4 REPLIES 4
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Re: Reverb!

Hello Aitch,

Glad you found your way here.

Please tell us exactly what sound sources you are using. I got from your previous post.
  • Vocal through a Sennheiser EW 300 Radio Microphone.
  • Some kind of playback source (backing tracks?). Where is this coming from (midi, mini-disk, CD?) Edit: re-read your first post. 2 mini disk players.
  • You lost me when you mentioned having two mixers. The Mackie 1202VLZ (well known here) and "a behringer mixer" (please tell us the model).
    --> How are you using two mixers?
  • I have looked through the Fostex DE-1 Owners Manual and don't see anything extraordinary there. So subject to the answers to the questions above...
    This should be very easy. You will probably need an Insert Cable (picture coming).

Edit: Here is a picture of your Insert Cable:
The cable looks like this:

Click to see ordering information at ZZ Sounds for a Hosa STP204.

You don't have to use a Hosa brand cable.

But please tell us more (questions above) and I can fill in some details.

EDIT:

Here are some detailed notes about using the Fostex DE-1 with the PS1 Powerstand.

Effects/Fostex/DE-1 in the wiki.
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

Hi ST. Thanks for getting back to me. I suppose I was rambling a bit. Sorry about that. Lets talk B/B (before Bose)for a sec. Up until last week I was using mini disc x2 and Sennheiser Ew300 into a Beringher PMH5000 and out into a pair of Mackie SRM450's and an Hz 400w powered Sub. Occasionally I used a wedge monitor as well depending on the venue. All of it very large and very heavy, especially for a solo artist. The kit just seemed to get bigger and bigger, along with the car (Jeep GRAND Cherokee!) The desk is completely unsuitable I know, but it had the sweetest set of effects and after the disappointment of the mackie dfx6 (which I also have), I just stuck with it. As you can guess I have a lot of kit both past and present still in the house! I could open up a store!
What I want to do is carry as little as possible, save my back and arms and even get a smaller car!
What I propose is to use the DFX6 OR the 1202 vlz with the Fostex and do away with the behringer altogether but am a little confused as the hooking up of this combination. I know I can do it all through the mixer but it seems a shame not to use the built in presets on the base unit.
From reading the posts on this forum, I know there will be people out there that will be shaking their heads about me using effects because of the capabilities of the PAS but as I mentioned earlier, the vocal style that I want to recreate is one that requires it. Thanks for your help.
ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Aitch,

Got it, (I think).

I can sympathize with the 'got enough gear to open a store' situation. Creeping incrementalism, is insidious, costly and oh so tedious.

If you want the reverb, other than to suggest you try things without it a couple of times, you won't get any head shaking from me.

quote:

What I propose is to use the DFX6 OR the 1202 vlz with the Fostex and do away with the behringer altogether but am a little confused as the hooking up of this combination.

Mackie DFX-6 or Behringer PMH5000 (mixers with effects)
If we can isolate the vocal track from everything else, we can use the presets in the PS1 Powerstand. You can do this by routing your vocal track (and effects) through one side of the mixer (let's say LEFT). Do this by panning hard left on the input strip, and then picking up the signal at the left output from the mixer.

Then run the left output to Channel 1 of the PS1 Powerstand, and use the preset that you like best. Use the ¼ inch output to the ¼ inch PS1 Powerstand input.

Everything else goes into the mixer and is panned hard right. The right output channel then goes to PS1 Powerstand Channel 2. This is probably best at preset 00 (flat). Use the ¼ inch output to the ¼ inch PS1 Powerstand input.

For the Behringer Europower PMH5000 you will use the ¼ inch main outputs on the top of the unit, not the powered speakon connections on the back. See page 12 of the Behringer Europower PMH5000 for details.

Mackie 1202 VLZ and Fostex DE-1
If you are not using one of your mixers with built-in effects, then you do not need to run the radiomicrophone through the mixer. You can run the radiomicrophone into PS1 Powerstand Channel 1 with your preferred preset. See Presets - Finding What Works.

Then add the effects for PS1 Channel 1 at the Insert point. See Effec[ts/Fostex/DE-1 for details.

You can use the Mackie 1202 VLZ for your backing tracks and pan all the input strips to the right. Send the Mackie 1202 right output to the PS1 Powerstand Channel 2 with preset 00.

Which way?
I don't want to suggest that one approach is better because it really depends on which effects unit you prefer.

Does that help?
aitch1
Registered since

Dec 18, 2006

You my friend, are heaven sent. Thank you for clearing those things up for me. I intend to put them into practice tomorrow night. As for tonight! well I just had my first official proper "perform as it should be in front of the radiator" gig. Audience averaged around three hundred. Not only did I impress myself but the house sound tech, the guests and the venue staff. I even had to turn it down! for me thats unheard of! and I still have a voice! The Mackies are going on ebay in the new year!
Cheers ST. Happy Holidays