Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Running a pair of L1 Model 2 units

Hi gang

My current set up includes a pair of L1 Compacts (which I would never part with not even for all the tea in China) and an L1 Model 2 with B2 sub.

I recently secured a contract to play 114 private theatres across the UK, these are small places averaging around 500 capacity but most have wide stage areas so I am seriously considering buying a second L1 Model 2 with another B2.

How would I run both from one Tonematch and spread the output evenly across both columns?

Also, I once saw on here that you can run the T1 with a Cat5 Ethercon cable.

There is a company in the UK called Designacable who produce high quality bespoke cables and they offer a Cat5 cable of varying lengths, I'd like around 25m but not sure if this length would cause any issues.

Don't Bose have some sort of extension to enable you to extend the standard 6m cable?

Grateful for any advice.

Geoff

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Re: Running a pair of L1 Model 2 units

Hey Geoff. 

I believe the easiest way to run two L1 systems from a tonematch would be to use the CAT5 into one tower, and a quarter inch cable from the “Main” output into the line input on the other tower. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

I use a Balanced T.R.S Cable. about 50ft long out of the Master out. I also have a stereo Y cable when i run both my L1 model 2's. Plug that into the master out and use 2 balanced cables to the L1's. I set the gain controls on the L1's at 50%. I power my T1 Tonematch with the external power supply

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Geoff,

We have some notes about this.

Running two L1® Model II systems from a single T1®

Click the picture above to read the full article.

Geoff posted:

Hi gang

My current set up includes a pair of L1 Compacts (which I would never part with not even for all the tea in China) and an L1 Model 2 with B2 sub.

I recently secured a contract to play 114 private theatres across the UK, these are small places averaging around 500 capacity but most have wide stage areas so I am seriously considering buying a second L1 Model 2 with another B2.

That sounds like a great contract. Please tell us about your show.

How would I run both from one Tonematch and spread the output evenly across both columns?

Yes, you can.

There is a company in the UK called Designacable who produce high quality bespoke cables and they offer a Cat5 cable of varying lengths, I'd like around 25m but not sure if this length would cause any issues.

You're okay up to 15 meters. Beyond that, you may have an issue if the voltage of the AC power at the venue is out of spec.

Please see T1 Cable Length

Don't Bose have some sort of extension to enable you to extend the standard 6m cable?

No, but as you now know, you can use CAT-5 or CAT-6 cables.

Grateful for any advice.

Geoff

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Phil T Williams posted:

I use a Balanced T.R.S Cable. about 50ft long out of the Master out. I also have a stereo Y cable when i run both my L1 model 2's. Plug that into the master out and use 2 balanced cables to the L1's. I set the gain controls on the L1's at 50%. I power my T1 Tonematch with the external power supply

Thanks Phil

I had thought I could maybe run from the mixer out to the input on the power stand, the ethercon cable just simplifies the connection but I suppose if I attach the T1 to my mic stand and power it independently and then run a TRS to the input jack that would be just as easy.

Welcome to the group mate, it’s been an absolute saviour to me.

Geoff

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

Andy posted:

Hey Geoff. 

I believe the easiest way to run two L1 systems from a tonematch would be to use the CAT5 into one tower, and a quarter inch cable from the “Main” output into the line input on the other tower. 

Cheers Andy

I now have a diagram describing exactly as you say.

Will give it a try tomorrow.

Geoff

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Jun 4, 2018

Clicking on the diagram above gave me a bogus link. Here is the one that gets you to the right place.

Edit: Corrected Link

T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine to Two Model II Power Stands

Bose Pro Community Admin 

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi CityFolk,

Thanks for catching that.  I fixed the link.

ST

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2017

ST posted:

Hi Geoff,

We have some notes about this.

Running two L1® Model II systems from a single T1®

Click the picture above to read the full article.

Geoff posted:

Hi gang

That sounds like a great contract. Please tell us about your show.

Yes, you can.

You're okay up to 15 meters. Beyond that, you may have an issue is the voltage of the AC power at the venue is out of spec.

Please see T1 Cable Length

No, but as you now know, you can use CAT-5 or CAT-6 cables.

Grateful for any advice.

Geoff

ST

Hi ST

Thanks for the diagram.

I have just ordered a bespoke 15m Cat5 cable but also have a high quality 20m TRS cable so I will have a play around using the different options.

If I power the T1 independently and run the TRS from the main out and go into the jack on the power stand I will probably be safe to start with the trim at 50% and adjust the final output from the T1.

The show is a Jim Reeves Tribute.

I discovered a couple of year ago that I have a similar range as he had and found I was able to impersonate him quite well, people started to ask for Reeves songs at my gigs and that pretty much gave me the idea for the show.

The guy died before I was even born so everything I’ve learnt about him has come off the internet but my dad was a fan and had loads of his records so I had a good starting point.

I’m excited about the show and it’s great that so many venues have booked it and I will post some pics as I go along.

Having a fantastic Bose system helps as his style was very relaxed and smooth and my Bose system gives me the clarity I need.

It goes without saying that behind every gig is the fabulous support I get from you and everyone else on this great forum.

Regards

Geoff

Edit: Corrected link to the article
Bose Pro Community Admin  

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Sep 16, 2019

Hi ST

Wish I'd seen this before last weekend when my T4S went out of action and was replaced with my T1 - so losing one of our L1 sets.

As the master system is the one with the ethercon to the L1, and the slave is the second L1 fed with the analogue cable - what level do you advise setting the volume on the second slave unit?

PS.. the image link above does not work any longer it gives the page:

T1 to 2 L1 fail

Thanks