Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

S1 Orientation and Dispersion

I have my S1 Pro arriving in a few days but I wanted to know a bit more about the orientation & dispersion even though I've read all the articles & manuals.

I intend to use the S1 mounted on a trolley which already has the bottom surface at an angle very similar to the tilt back position. So this means placing the S1 flat makes it already tilted.

Does this mean the EQ will change automatically to the tilt back curve even though it's not on the tilt back surface?

I want the maximum bass output on the unit so would inserting something like a speaker stand adapter into the unit while on the trolley achieve this disregarding the angle?

13 REPLIES 13
ccc1
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Re: S1 Orientation and Dispersion

This is why I like a manual override.

Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

Reading through the documentation further it states 'The S1 Pro uses an accelerometer to determine if it is in the tilt-back, horizontal or vertical position'.

How does this accelerometer actually work?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Paul Rumbol,

Paul Rumbol posted:

I have my S1 Pro arriving in a few days but I wanted to know a bit more about the orientation & dispersion even though I've read all the articles & manuals.

Here is some more information about

Orientations and Dispersion

I can tell from your comments if you've seen it or not. And here's another article:

Auto EQ

This explains how and why Bose engineered the S1 Pro with the Auto EQ feature. The idea is to give you great sound regardless of the position (so you don't have to change the tone controls because you moved the S1 Pro from the floor to a table top or a speaker stand).  Please read the article for more details.

I intend to use the S1 mounted on a trolley which already has the bottom surface at an angle very similar to the tilt back position. So this means placing the S1 flat makes it already tilted.

Does this mean the EQ will change automatically to the tilt back curve even though it's not on the tilt back surface?

Yes, the S1 will detect the angle and apply the EQ change.

I want the maximum bass output on the unit so would inserting something like a speaker stand adapter into the unit while on the trolley achieve this disregarding the angle?

Yes, you can use a speaker stand adapter to activate the pole cup switch. Please see

Pole Cup Switch

OR

You can turn up the bass control if using channels 1 and 2, or if you're using Bluetooth, apply more bass using the an app on the device providing the Bluetooth signal.

Maximum bass output (more than you get with the Auto EQ) may not sound great.

Paul Rumbol posted:

Reading through the documentation further it states 'The S1 Pro uses an accelerometer to determine if it is in the tilt-back, horizontal or vertical position'.

How does this accelerometer actually work?

Here are some interesting articles about accelerometers

A Beginners Guide to Accelerometers

Accelerometers: What They Are & How They Work

ST

Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

Thanks very much ST for the useful information.

Until my unit arrives & I try it out in position on the trolley I guess it's all speculation on my part as to how I will really want it to sound.

Maybe a switch between Off & manual, tabletop, tilt & monitor for the eq settings would be useful for some?

My decision to purchase the S1 was based on a side to side comparison with the DB opera 110 mobile amp I currently use & the S1 (in the tilt back position).

I always thought my DB had a really good sound & I was often complimented on it but the S1 beat it hands down from the test I made.

The S1 had more clarity while competing very favourably with a much bigger bass driver (10") & I suspect a louder amplification overall of HF 20W & LF 70W.

What sold it further to me was the soundmatch control of the mic setting, No other mobile amp can sound as good as that. I'm surprised phantom power isn't included but as I have that on my Boss VE2 harmoniser pedal it's not a problem for me.

I have a variety of different mic choices but my Rode M2 through the VE2 sounds incredible. For anyone who hasn't tried this mic I encourage you to give this inexpensive handheld condenser a go. Sounds like a mic of 3 times the cost.

I use Audix mics (OM7's & OM6's) when using my L1 (mainly for the feedback suppression) but I don't envisage that as an issue with the S1.

I suspect the DB is louder overall but I think the S1 will provide sufficient volume for my needs.

Some others have told me they've needed to purchase a 2nd battery pack for longer sets at high volume but we shall see.

Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

ccc please see this new discussion for your question.

Accelerometer in the S1 Pro (Auto EQ feature)

Thank you.

Bose Pro Community Admin 

Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

Does the line out include the auto eq settings of the orientation or is it 'flat' like the pole position?

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Paul,

That's a great question!

Paul Rumbol posted:

Does the line out include the auto eq settings of the orientation or is it 'flat' like the pole position?

The Line Out is not affected by the Auto EQ. It's the combined output of all three channels (with volume controls, ToneMatch Presets, tone controls, and reverb) and is same whether the unit is in tilt-back, monitor, tabletop or on a speaker stand.

ST

Forum_Admin
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

Temporarily closing this discussion (5-10 minutes) while moving some posts to a new discussion.

Edit:  This topic is open again.

Some posts have been moved to this new discussion: Accelerometer in the S1 Pro (Auto EQ feature)

Bose Pro Community Admin

Paul_Rumbol
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 19, 2015

Thanks for the reply ST.

What about the volumes, are they affected on the line out.

I'm guessing not as there's no master volume.

The line out on my DB is affected by the master volume.

What I'm getting at is if volumes are reduced on the S1 itself & the line out is going to a house PA (as is often required in bars, restaurants & clubs) will the line out level be unaffected?