Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

S1 Pro - L1 Compact dilemma

I have been using a pair of S1 Pro’s at a regular gig for sometime now, really enjoying the portability, sound quality, and overall vibe of the speakers, what a great system! As I was prepping for Thursday's gig, I walked by my old faithful L1 Compacts sitting on the shelf, they actually spoke to me and said “Hey, how about taking us along this time? What are we? Chopped liver?” I smiled, and loaded them into the truck.

At the gig I was reminded how great a speaker the Compact really is, the pair just filled the room with that great sound I had relied on for so many years, maybe even a bit more punch than the S1 Pro's

My dilemma, in a room where either system would work, it’s really getting to be a challenge determining which system to use, I really do like them both
Does anyone else have the same dilemma? What do you do?

4 REPLIES 4
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: S1 Pro - L1 Compact dilemma

I have a similar situation with an excellent JBL EON One (which I like better than the Compact I once owned) vs. 2 S1 Pros. 

The answer is that when the audience or coverage area is probably going to be larger, Take the EON.  It has more punch and more coverage than just 2 S1 Pros.

(The following means I have to borrow a bigger vehicle from my kids -- won't fit in my Mazda Miata any more...)

If MUCH bigger, I like one or two of my Behringer D1200 subs and the S1s.

And if MUCH MUCH bigger, EON ONE (Behringers) and S1s.

An embarrassment of riches.

Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Much depends on room dynamics and for me always the simplest system that works for the shape of the room is always my first choice. A pair will have more coverage then one and more placement options. I tell myself over and over again, keep it simple stupid.  

Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Harry,

Thanks for starting this fun topic.

Harry posted:

I have been using a pair of S1 Pro’s at a regular gig for sometime now, really enjoying the portability, sound quality, and overall vibe of the speakers, what a great system! As I was prepping for Thursday's gig, I walked by my old faithful L1 Compacts sitting on the shelf, they actually spoke to me and said “Hey, how about taking us along this time? What are we? Chopped liver?” I smiled, and loaded them into the truck.

At the gig I was reminded how great a speaker the Compact really is, the pair just filled the room with that great sound I had relied on for so many years, maybe even a bit more punch than the S1 Pro's

My dilemma, in a room where either system would work, it’s really getting to be a challenge determining which system to use, I really do like them both

My first thought, "I wonder how Harry uses his Bose gear?"

I looked through your previous posts and found

I run my L1 Compacts with subs all the time, for both dj and live music applications, sounds great. I use 12" subs.

It sounds like you're used to choosing the right tools for each gig and you're well equipped to do that.

Harry posted:
? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

Here are a few of the things I consider

• Will I use a ToneMatch mixer?
    • No: I lean toward the S1 Pro
    • Yes: Either one will do subject to the following
  • No AC power - use the S1 Pro systems
  • No setup time - use the S1 Pro
  • Need to use speaker stands - use the L1 Compact
  • Need wide horizontal coverage - use the L1 Compact (or two S1 Pro systems), but for simplicity, I like a single L1 Compact
  • Playing solo with stereo effects
    • This is a rare indulgence for electric guitar for virtual guitar  Roland VG-99 Virtual Guitar System or Kemper Profiling Amp 
    • Stereo imaging with the S1 Pro systems is focussed and conventional
    • Stereo imaging with the L1 Compacts is wider with a larger sweet spot than with the S1 Pro systems
    • I don't play in stereo when playing with others. I prefer to use one loudspeaker for my sound, and I set things up to take advantage of the Cocktail Party Effect  
  • Playing in a group (other guitars, bass, drums, keys) - use the L1 Compact. In a group, I want the sound up at ear-level. I'll take the L1 Compact over the S1 Pro on a stand for those situations
  • Using foot percussion (stomp box) - L1 Compact

If I'm not sure about the venue, I'll take the L1 Compact or an L1 Model II.

Probably the most telling thing about my preferences is: I keep the L1 Compact in the trunk of the car. It goes with me everywhere. I'm more deliberate about taking the S1 Pro out.

Here are some notes:

S1 Pro Compared to L1 Compact

ST

Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2018

Thanks ST! Good info, I appreciate your comments, very helpful...

I front end both systems with a T1 mixer and run them in mono, sometimes I use a single S1 Pro as a personal monitor, use its mixer, and feed the house system in larger venues.

I use small subwoofers with both systems for DJ applications, when I'm  performing with guitar + vocal no Subwoofers

I regularly perform at a few very wide venues and will use two S1 Pros on tripod stands or two Compacts to cover. Either of the systems can manage the rooms, both have their own unique qualities, I know the Compact is louder, but not all that much, the Compact has wider dispersion but the pair of S1 Pros seem to cover the room width.

The battery and mixer on the S1 Pro does give it a unique niche, and the Compact just sounds freaking amazing (but so does the S1 Pro). Your comment on keeping a Compact available in you trunk speaks to your trust in the system.

I plan on doing a pink noise + RTA in the room soon to get some data on both systems, might help validate what I think my old ears are hearing, I'll post results if helpful. 

I think having to decide between these two systems is a good kind of problem to have, either way I win. 

CCC and Chet 3... Thanks for commenting, I do need to remember to keep things simple and not overdo things just because I have the gear to do so.