saxman123456
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2018

S1 Pro Review

I have had my S1 Pro now for 3mths and thought I would post my thoughts.

Postive points 

Well Made ( looks expensive)

Portable easy to cary and move about 

Battery life very good 

Sound very clear and ample volume for small gigs and busking 

Bose after care very good 

The updater app is good for keeping the system unto date 

Negitives

Playing backing tracks a lot a bass with no option to reduce this. This channel only as volume. 

Not sure if the the sound really changes that much on a stand or tilted.

No phantom power unless you connect a mixer and then you need power 

The cost of the Bose without the dust cover makes this a very expensive speaker. If you don't need portability then a powered speaker would be better 

The hole for the speaker stand is very tight 

Not that easy to tell if the battery is fully charged 

Replacement battery expensive 

No manuel in box I had to download one 

The cover should be included given the price

Not cery powerful outside i you turn up the volume the clarity of the sound is muffled due to excessive bass.

Overall if you need the portability and need to have a system that you can use that does not require power then this is great however  if you need to plug into power then there are better PA systems.  Future models should include a facility to reduce bass if you are using backing tracks

4 REPLIES 4
Artie_w_the_Par
Registered since

Jun 17, 2018

Re: S1 Pro Review

Do you notice the base on the stands and how much outdoor coverage with a crowd do you get would getting 2 double the coverage

saxman123456
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 24, 2018

The Bass sound  on  stands is quite a lot I do not notice any reduction what position I have it in. However initially I set my iTunes volume on my Apple Mac to around 75-80% and then kept the volume on the Bose S1 Low but I was getting a lot of heavy bass so I changed it around so I had less volume on the Mac 30-50% and turned up the Bose and it does not seem to be as bass driven. I think the gadgets that allow the sound to be different tilting it or stand makes no difference and its just clever marketing. When the room is full of people cannot tell. 

ST - Pro
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi Saxman,

Thank you for posting your review. It's always great to get customer's real-world experiences and impressions.

Let me pick up on a couple of your comments.

saxman posted:

Not sure if the the sound really changes that much on a stand or tilted.

saxman posted:

The Bass sound  on  stands is quite a lot I do not notice any reduction what position I have it in.

? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ? - ?

I think the gadgets that allow the sound to be different tilting it or stand makes no difference and its just clever marketing. When the room is full of people cannot tell. 

This is how the S1 Pro system is supposed to work. Without the Automatic EQ, when you move the S1 Pro system from a speaker stand to the floor, it would sound overly bassy. This is because of the boundary effect.

Auto EQ is not meant to change the sound because you've changed the placement of the S1 Pro, it's meant to give you consistenly good sound for the audience. It's changing the EQ so you don't have to.

More about this in S1 Pro Auto EQ.

ST

ccc1
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Back to the pros and cons, I really don't think the S1 was really thought out for singer songwriter venues. I believe the lack of independent eq-ing, lack of main volume control, no mic boost, no independent feedback notching and it is also not as reactive in battery mode ...  lends me to believe the S1 was first designed as a floor monitor in mind. Also the auto eq is fairly new so first runs act as experimental feedback for horning the amp and understanding what people really need. Bose needs to consider these groups of performers and their needs which are truly portable, the lack of control and fine tuning for a wide variety of performance venues is disappointing and costly, creating more gear clutter on the floor to compensate for the lack of control needed within these systems and diverse environments. Bose needs a high quality, competitively priced amp for buskers and solo acts, totally portable, and extremely reliable and road worthy, that sounds absolutely awesome. The nice thing about bare bones is you can add to it, with cost  and more complexity added to your portable system. Gleam your own choice of effects, and eq. but then not as portable and easy as one would like. Bose needs a complete package to be classified as a portable amp fit for solo gigs. Control and fine tuning can make or break an amp.