Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

S1 Pro Volume drop (lowers) that returns to normal after a short time

Hello,

My Bose S1 Pro is now approximately twelve months old and is used regularly on battery power, normally recharged when discharged to 50% (two indicator flashes).

I play out using both main channels (no bluetooth) for mic & guitar; both set at roughly half gain.

I have noticed recently a volume drop out (overall/both channels), that seems to slowly return to normal after a short time.

At the time of posting, I am draining the battery fully and will then recharge normally to full power. I seen to remember years ago on the first cellphones, this was referred to as “battery conditioning”.

Has any one else experienced volume dropouts on their S1;...........Will battery “conditioning” help?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.......Brian

Edit Subject: Previously "Another Battery Issue!"

Bose Pro Community Admin  

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Aug 8, 2019

Re: S1 Pro Volume drop (lowers) that returns to normal after a short time

I haven’t had volume dropouts but have a question. Have you tried operating on AC to make sure it really is a battery issue? That will help you isolate where the issue is. If you don’t experience dropouts with AC, then you might want to see if the battery has an issue. 

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

How long does it take to return to proper levels?  Is this at start up?  Does this only happen at start up if so? Meaning does it ever drop out during performance? Are your volumes down at startup? using any vocal or other instrument effects in between?

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

Good point.

I’d also forgotten that the S1 can be reset to default, I'll try that too.

Time to get the “user guide” out!!

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Oct 11, 2016

edit - renamed topic to reflect the symptoms

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, theonemandband,

Here's a link to 

S1 Pro System Reset

ST

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

Hi, Brian theonemandband,

theonemanband posted:

Hello,

My Bose S1 Pro is now approximately twelve months old and is used regularly on battery power, normally recharged when discharged to 50% (two indicator flashes).

You can charge the battery any time it's convenient. Just make sure you've got enough charge to get you through the next battery-only gig.

I play out using both main channels (no bluetooth) for mic & guitar; both set at roughly half gain.

I have noticed recently a volume drop out (overall/both channels), that seems to slowly return to normal after a short time.

Where are you performing? Is the background noise level constant? 

At the time of posting, I am draining the battery fully and will then recharge normally to full power. I seen to remember years ago on the first cellphones, this was referred to as “battery conditioning”.

You don't have to drain the battery fully. There is no memory effect. Similarly there's no need to condition the battery. 

Has any one else experienced volume dropouts on their S1;...........Will battery “conditioning” help?

The S1 Pro is engineered to provide full output whether on battery or running on AC power. On battery, it can provide full output until the battery is depleted. It does not scale-back the power or lower the output based on the condition of the battery.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.......Brian

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

ccc posted:

How long does it take to return to proper levels?  Is this at start up?  Does this only happen at start up if so? Meaning does it ever drop out during performance? Are your volumes down at startup? using any vocal or other instrument effects in between?

1. 2-3 minutes (unchecked/approximate)

2. No

3. Dropout during performance

4. Volumes are at +/- 50% at startup and throughout performance.

5. 1 x Zoom MS 100BT multi fx stomp box (batteries are good) and the issue affects both channels 1 & 2, (vocal & guitar) anyway.

All cables are good.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

You can follow ST's battery resets. I would next try no effects in between to ensure the zoom is not affecting the signal in any way. I doubt this is it but always better to problem solve step by step. How noticeable is the power drop off? Are you using Bose's EQ system? I would turn all off on the S1 to see if it has an affect on drop off. 2 or 3 minutes is a long time.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

Sorry, I should have made clear, it is not a COMPLETE volume dropout, more a drop in overall volume, that is noticeable.