Highlighted
Registered since

May 10, 2018

Re: S1 Pro - adding effects

I've found I prefer to pole mount my S1s for gigs when possible.  At home, I run one on a pole, one standing on a "table" (just 'cause) and with at least one Behringer Sub in the loop.  My practice/recording studio is about 40' by 20' with a fairly tall ceiling.

On another note: On the 4th of July I played a gig in town as part of a Country band (HICountry Band - HI = Hawai'i).  Drums, bass, two guitars and two vocals.  The voices through a JBL EON One, Bass in amp, Drums acoustic and we ran the guitars (Mine: '61 SG Standard through Line 6 FireHawk FX - Other Player: Danelectro through stomp boxes) into my two Bose S1 Pros on stands. 

Wow!  Worked great and we got a lot of comments on our sound -- positive ones that is.

I'll have to try that PVC trick for those times when I can't fit a stand under the S1.

Highlighted
Registered since

Mar 29, 2018

Oldghm posted:

Hi ccc,

I don't always understand everything you write about, and I do not play electric, or use effects pedals, so no comment there, however there is one bit of misinformation or misunderstanding in this post I will address.

Using the pvc to activate the pole insert switch does not defeat Bose EQ, it does defeat the multi position auto change of the accelerometer, but by engaging the pole socket switch you have engaged an EQ curve specifically designed for the more open space usually utilized with a stand mounted speaker.

Because EQ is subjective you, and others, may prefer this pole mount EQ for your use and there is no harm done by using it. 

O.. 

I play acoustic with pick-ups multiple. Bose's EQ is an absolute for their systems to sound good, because of their psychoacoustic approach. Yes the pole does open the eq to a full range which has more dynamic range like in the bass. From there I re eq since the auto sensing is disengaged from reacting to different positions by the pole switch being held/ or made to engage the full range sensing state, ( another words defeating the auto in it.) Ever on pole mode. Now the pole mode is static so will always be on. (No tech. terms used so not to scare others from conversation an to not redirect the conversation from the reasons why effect pedals are used .)

"Bose EQ, it does defeat the multi position auto change of the accelerometer, but by engaging the pole socket switch you have engaged an EQ curve specifically designed for the more open space usually utilized with a stand mounted speaker." 

Thanks you did a great job of explaining in technical terms what I did. Hope Bose is listening to what we do to improve our sound.

Yes that is exactly what I am doing. With the insert inserted the pole socket switch is a stable constant curve allowing me to place a separate eq effect post. Lets keep this on topic effects.

My suggestion would be to check what finger style and thumpers play with their acoustic guitars and what they use today, Michael Hedges would be happy. Check out  Petteri Sariola https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3wbfy9vxS0

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

May 8, 2019

Thank you ST. That's the information I was looking for!

Highlighted
Professional Legend
Registered since

May 11, 2020

nightoul posted:

Thank you ST. That's the information I was looking for!

Terrific.

Enjoy the music.

ST